A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

XCSoar / LK8000

Old March 13th 13, 04:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bernie[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default XCSoar / LK8000

Max wrote:
http://bugs.xcsoar.org/query?status=...%40g mail.com

This is exactly one ticket, one that can't be any less serious.

I feel Evans pain! I raised a ticket 4 months ago( # 2421) which appears to be a duplicate of Evans ticket #2054.

How can you consider a bug that prevents us from uploading Cambridge format turnpoint files to a Cambridge 302 not to be serious? It is VERY serious to 302 owners!

I've also been waiting 16 months for any thing to happen re ticket #1603 that requests functionality that See You has had for years, that is, the ability to set different scales on each different map page.

I really love XCSoar, and the developers have been very responsive with many tickets I have raised, but they seem to not be familiar with the needs of pilots using XCSoar for competition. But as others have said, try it!
Old March 13th 13, 08:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Max Kellermann[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default XCSoar / LK8000

On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 5:46:48 AM UTC+1, Bernie wrote:
How can you consider a bug that prevents us from uploading Cambridge format turnpoint files to a Cambridge 302 not to be serious? It is VERY serious to 302 owners!

Would you please explain why this is serious, or even a bug?

Yes, it may be uncomfortable that only CUP files can be selected at this one specific dialog, and we will extend it to allow all the other file formats that XCSoar understands. It's just that nobody got around to do it, because we had other requests that seemed more urgent.

My point is:

- you CAN upload waypoints to the CAI302 with XCSoar

- most other programs CAN'T (since this thread is about LK8000 vs XCSoar: no, LK8000 can't do that; XCSoar's device drivers are so much more advanced)

I've also been waiting 16 months for any thing to happen re ticket #1603 that requests functionality that See You has had for years, that is, the ability to set different scales on each different map page.

Sorry this (and other feature requests) has been sitting unattended for so long. This was difficult to do with our old code base (pre 6.5). But I have good news: I rewrote the "pages" code in XCSoar 6.5, and implementing your feature is now very easy.

Given the hundreds of feature requests, it's difficult for us to pick the right one to implement next. I thought about adding a "voting" plugin to the bug trackers to let users vote for the most important requests.

(Bug reports are always first priority, of course - since saturday, I spent the better part of every night on important bug reports, and had no time left for new features)
Old March 13th 13, 11:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
pcool
external usenet poster

Default XCSoar / LK8000

"Max Kellermann" wrote in message

- most other programs CAN'T (since this thread is about LK8000 vs XCSoar:
no, LK8000 can't do that; XCSoar's device drivers are so much more advanced)

:-)
haha

Old March 13th 13, 01:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default XCSoar / LK8000

On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 4:47:04 AM UTC-4, Max Kellermann wrote:

Yes, it may be uncomfortable that only CUP files can be selected at this one specific dialog, and we will extend it to allow all the other file formats that XCSoar understands. It's just that nobody got around to do it, because we had other requests that seemed more urgent.

My point is:

So you fixed the transfer of waypoints to 302 using .cup files? If so, I agree that's an acceptable solution. As stated on that original ticket I tried this and it simply erased all the waypoints in the 302.

T8
Old March 13th 13, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Default XCSoar / LK8000

I don't understand.

I haven't knowingly added, deleted, or even used turnpoints on my 302. I
uploaded a turnpoint file to my Dell Streak 5 (United States.cup) and I have
access to all turnpoints in the US.

The Streak won't support the entire US terrain map, at least won't load it
in a reasonable time, so I have several maps which I created from XCSoar.org
which cover the regions where I fly. I can even change maps in flight if I
go that far...

"Evan Ludeman" wrote in message
On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 4:47:04 AM UTC-4, Max Kellermann wrote:

How can you consider a bug that prevents us from uploading Cambridge
format turnpoint files to a Cambridge 302 not to be serious? It is VERY
serious to 302 owners!

Yes, it may be uncomfortable that only CUP files can be selected at this
one specific dialog, and we will extend it to allow all the other file
formats that XCSoar understands. It's just that nobody got around to do
it, because we had other requests that seemed more urgent.

My point is:

So you fixed the transfer of waypoints to 302 using .cup files? If so, I
agree that's an acceptable solution. As stated on that original ticket I
tried this and it simply erased all the waypoints in the 302.

T8

Old March 13th 13, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default XCSoar / LK8000

On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 11:41:47 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
I don't understand.

That's because you don't use a Cambridge 303 display with your 302.

Even with XCSoar, I used the 303 routinely. Even with ClearNav, I still use the 303 routinely. It's reliable, it's backup, it's very easy to read. One advantage of the 303 versus any full on glide computer: there is very little to get wrong. Provided that your database is correct, there is really no (easy :-)) way to screw up a final glide calculation.

T8

Old March 13th 13, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bernie[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default XCSoar / LK8000

On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 7:47:04 PM UTC+11, Max Kellermann wrote:

My point is:

Hi Max,
I must apologise, as I had clean forgotten that XCSoar could upload .cup files, which the 302 will gladly accept. So the ticket should be an enhancement request rather than a bug report, and you are correct.

Re #1603 'sticky zoom' or 'independent map scale'; thank you! That is something that I and my friends have long waited for and I very much appreciate you adding this overnight, fantastic work. XSoar just got better, and I already loved it!
Regards, Bernie.
Old March 13th 13, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bernie[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default XCSoar / LK8000

PS: For 302 owners: I just remembered that the trick is to reboot the 302 manually after uploading the .cup files from XCSoar to the 302.
See ticket #2380 where I describe what Evan experienced (ie, 302 says no TP's loaded) until the 302 is rebooted.

http://bugs.xcsoar.org/ticket/2380

Hi Max,

I must apologise, as I had clean forgotten that XCSoar could upload .cup files, which the 302 will gladly accept. So the ticket should be an enhancement request rather than a bug report, and you are correct.

Re #1603 'sticky zoom' or 'independent map scale'; thank you! That is something that I and my friends have long waited for and I very much appreciate you adding this overnight, fantastic work. XSoar just got better, and I already loved it!

Regards, Bernie.

Old March 14th 13, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Max Kellermann[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default XCSoar / LK8000

On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:51:57 PM UTC+1, Bernie wrote:

I just uploaded XCSoar 6.6_preview1 with that feature to Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...xcsoar.testing

(Should be visible in an hour or so)
Old March 14th 13, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bernie[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default XCSoar / LK8000

On Thursday, March 14, 2013 11:37:14 AM UTC+11, Max Kellermann wrote:
On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:51:57 PM UTC+1, Bernie wrote:

I just uploaded XCSoar 6.6_preview1 with that feature to Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...xcsoar.testing

(Should be visible in an hour or so)

Works brilliantly! Thanks again.