XCSoar / LK8000

Old March 13th 13, 04:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bernie[_4_]

Default XCSoar / LK8000

Max wrote:
http://bugs.xcsoar.org/query?status=...%40g mail.com

This is exactly one ticket, one that can't be any less serious.

I feel Evans pain! I raised a ticket 4 months ago( # 2421) which appears to be a duplicate of Evans ticket #2054.

How can you consider a bug that prevents us from uploading Cambridge format turnpoint files to a Cambridge 302 not to be serious? It is VERY serious to 302 owners!

I've also been waiting 16 months for any thing to happen re ticket #1603 that requests functionality that See You has had for years, that is, the ability to set different scales on each different map page.

I really love XCSoar, and the developers have been very responsive with many tickets I have raised, but they seem to not be familiar with the needs of pilots using XCSoar for competition. But as others have said, try it!
Old March 13th 13, 08:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Max Kellermann[_2_]

On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 5:46:48 AM UTC+1, Bernie wrote:
How can you consider a bug that prevents us from uploading Cambridge format turnpoint files to a Cambridge 302 not to be serious? It is VERY serious to 302 owners!

Would you please explain why this is serious, or even a bug?

Yes, it may be uncomfortable that only CUP files can be selected at this one specific dialog, and we will extend it to allow all the other file formats that XCSoar understands. It's just that nobody got around to do it, because we had other requests that seemed more urgent.

My point is:

- you CAN upload waypoints to the CAI302 with XCSoar

- most other programs CAN'T (since this thread is about LK8000 vs XCSoar: no, LK8000 can't do that; XCSoar's device drivers are so much more advanced)

I've also been waiting 16 months for any thing to happen re ticket #1603 that requests functionality that See You has had for years, that is, the ability to set different scales on each different map page.

Sorry this (and other feature requests) has been sitting unattended for so long. This was difficult to do with our old code base (pre 6.5). But I have good news: I rewrote the "pages" code in XCSoar 6.5, and implementing your feature is now very easy.

Given the hundreds of feature requests, it's difficult for us to pick the right one to implement next. I thought about adding a "voting" plugin to the bug trackers to let users vote for the most important requests.

(Bug reports are always first priority, of course - since saturday, I spent the better part of every night on important bug reports, and had no time left for new features)
Old March 13th 13, 11:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
pcool

"Max Kellermann" wrote in message

- most other programs CAN'T (since this thread is about LK8000 vs XCSoar:
no, LK8000 can't do that; XCSoar's device drivers are so much more advanced)

:-)
haha

Old March 13th 13, 01:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 4:47:04 AM UTC-4, Max Kellermann wrote:
On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 5:46:48 AM UTC+1, Bernie wrote:

How can you consider a bug that prevents us from uploading Cambridge format turnpoint files to a Cambridge 302 not to be serious? It is VERY serious to 302 owners!

Would you please explain why this is serious, or even a bug?

Yes, it may be uncomfortable that only CUP files can be selected at this one specific dialog, and we will extend it to allow all the other file formats that XCSoar understands. It's just that nobody got around to do it, because we had other requests that seemed more urgent.

My point is:

- you CAN upload waypoints to the CAI302 with XCSoar

So you fixed the transfer of waypoints to 302 using .cup files? If so, I agree that's an acceptable solution. As stated on that original ticket I tried this and it simply erased all the waypoints in the 302.

T8
Old March 13th 13, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I don't understand.

I haven't knowingly added, deleted, or even used turnpoints on my 302. I
uploaded a turnpoint file to my Dell Streak 5 (United States.cup) and I have
access to all turnpoints in the US.

The Streak won't support the entire US terrain map, at least won't load it
in a reasonable time, so I have several maps which I created from XCSoar.org
which cover the regions where I fly. I can even change maps in flight if I
go that far...

Old March 13th 13, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 11:41:47 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
I don't understand.

That's because you don't use a Cambridge 303 display with your 302.

Even with XCSoar, I used the 303 routinely. Even with ClearNav, I still use the 303 routinely. It's reliable, it's backup, it's very easy to read. One advantage of the 303 versus any full on glide computer: there is very little to get wrong. Provided that your database is correct, there is really no (easy :-)) way to screw up a final glide calculation.

T8

Old March 13th 13, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bernie[_4_]

On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 7:47:04 PM UTC+11, Max Kellermann wrote:

Yes, it may be uncomfortable that only CUP files can be selected at this one specific dialog, and we will extend it to allow all the other file formats that XCSoar understands. It's just that nobody got around to do it, because we had other requests that seemed more urgent.

My point is:

- you CAN upload waypoints to the CAI302 with XCSoar

Hi Max,
I must apologise, as I had clean forgotten that XCSoar could upload .cup files, which the 302 will gladly accept. So the ticket should be an enhancement request rather than a bug report, and you are correct.

Re #1603 'sticky zoom' or 'independent map scale'; thank you! That is something that I and my friends have long waited for and I very much appreciate you adding this overnight, fantastic work. XSoar just got better, and I already loved it!
Regards, Bernie.
Old March 13th 13, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bernie[_4_]

PS: For 302 owners: I just remembered that the trick is to reboot the 302 manually after uploading the .cup files from XCSoar to the 302.
See ticket #2380 where I describe what Evan experienced (ie, 302 says no TP's loaded) until the 302 is rebooted.

http://bugs.xcsoar.org/ticket/2380

Old March 14th 13, 12:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Max Kellermann[_2_]

On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:51:57 PM UTC+1, Bernie wrote:
Re #1603 'sticky zoom' or 'independent map scale'; thank you! That is something that I and my friends have long waited for and I very much appreciate you adding this overnight, fantastic work. XSoar just got better, and I already loved it!

I just uploaded XCSoar 6.6_preview1 with that feature to Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...xcsoar.testing

(Should be visible in an hour or so)
Old March 14th 13, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bernie[_4_]

On Thursday, March 14, 2013 11:37:14 AM UTC+11, Max Kellermann wrote:
On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:51:57 PM UTC+1, Bernie wrote:

Re #1603 'sticky zoom' or 'independent map scale'; thank you! That is something that I and my friends have long waited for and I very much appreciate you adding this overnight, fantastic work. XSoar just got better, and I already loved it!

I just uploaded XCSoar 6.6_preview1 with that feature to Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...xcsoar.testing

(Should be visible in an hour or so)

Works brilliantly! Thanks again.

XCSoar or LK8000? Dan Marotta Soaring 18 August 11th 16 02:54 PM
Announcing LK8000 v4.0 pcool Soaring 2 February 16th 13 08:20 PM
Expanding on LK8000 [email protected] Soaring 12 January 23rd 13 06:50 PM
Brief review of Android XCSoar on the Streak 5 and LK8000 on the MIO 400 Mike[_8_] Soaring 7 April 1st 11 10:22 PM
LK8000 questions Andy[_1_] Soaring 9 March 15th 10 11:10 AM