First Snowstorm Of The Season

Old December 6th 03, 08:57 PM
Jay Honeck

Default First Snowstorm Of The Season

It's a good day to be *down*...

How much of the white stuff did you get? We only got a few inches, and much
of it melted yesterday and today -- but just to the west of us got a foot...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 6th 03, 09:13 PM
Z Sten

Tom Fleischman wrote:
As I sit here sipping my chai tea with rum watching the snow blowing
and falling I'm remembering a saying that I first heard during my
primary training:

"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I
was down here."

TAF and METAR for HPN today:

KHPN 061725Z 061818 36020G26KT 3/4SM -SN BLSN OVC006
TEMPO 1822 1/4SM SN BLSN VV001
FM2200 35022G35KT 3/4SM -SN BLSN OVC010
TEMPO 2202 1/4SM SN BLSN VV002
FM0200 34020G30KT 3SM -SN BLSN OVC015
FM0600 33018G28KT P6SM VCSH OVC025
FM1300 33018G30KT P6SM BKN045=

KHPN 061956Z 01022G29KT 1/2SM SN BLSN FZFG VV002 M06/M07 A2972 RMK AO2
PK WND 02033/1922 SLP077 P0001 T10611072 $

Cheers,

Tom

Here in central Pennsylvania we ended up with almost 12 inches of the
white stuff. Fortunately I had a wonderful flight up throught the
central Susquehanna River Valley on Thursday morning prior to the
storm's arrival from the south by Thursday evening.
Arnold Sten

Old December 6th 03, 09:35 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

How much of the white stuff did you get?

I'm about 20 miles south of the city. We're well over 12" so far, but it seems
to be stopping now. I've cleared snow from the magnolias twice so far, and two
of them are still bent nearly double. About a third of our prize pie cherry tree
is lying flat, split off near the ground. As soon as I can, I will see if I can
splice and brace it (about 1/4 of the diameter is still attached), but I doubt
it can be saved. The snowblower locked up this morning. I had to move it into
the garage to thaw out before the starter would work.

And absolutely *nothing* is flying out of Newark (EWR) today, according to the
local radio. They anticipate a madhouse tomorrow as people try to make up for
the flights they couldn't take today.

George Patterson
Some people think they hear a call to the priesthood when what they really
hear is a tiny voice whispering "It's indoor work with no heavy lifting".
Old December 6th 03, 09:45 PM
Cub Driver

KPSM 062055Z 03017G25KT 1/2SM R34/2800FT SN BR BKN007 OVC015 M05/M07
A2988 RMK ESTMD WND SLP121 60008 8/72/ 9/68/ 56020

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old December 6th 03, 10:46 PM
Rosspilot

So far, about eight inches, and it's still coming down hard, forecast
for the next several hours.

I'm about 13 mi. north of NYC on the Hudson River.

We have 12" down now and it's still coming. I am also just north of Manhattan
in Rockland. Happy to be inside my warm'n'cozy old farmhouse. The wind is
screamin' at 45 mph.
www.Rosspilot.com

Old December 6th 03, 11:57 PM
Bob Noel

In article , Nope wrote:

I'm in 14" and have the night to go. Central MA is now predicting
around 24".

KBED 062156Z 02016G24KT 3/4SM -SN BR VV006 M04/M06 A2978 RMK AO2 PK
WND 02030/2106 SLP103 P0000 T10441056

KBOS 062154Z COR 03032G39KT 1/4SM R04/P6000FT -SN BR BKN009 OVC015
01/M01 A2975 RMK AO2 PK WND 03042/2139 SFC VIS 1 1/2 SLP072 P0002
T00111006 $

KPVD 062236Z 02023G30KT 1/4SM R05/3500V4500FT +SN BLSN FZFG BKN002
OVC014 M03/M04 A2965 RMK AO2 PK WND 01031/2226 P0000 $

Definately not something I'd like to be up in. It's one of those nice
glass of wine and warm dinner evenings.......

yeah... I'm looking forward to digging out the front of my
hangar at KBED. I hope this light snow has drifted *away*
from my hangar, but I doubt it (it faces to the northeast).

--
Bob Noel
Old December 7th 03, 12:03 AM
Mike Adams

This is the time of the year when us Arizonans brag about our weather, and
sympathize with those in the cold weather regions. But I must admit the New
York city snow reports on the news looked quite picturesque.

KDVT 062253Z 16004KT 10SM CLR 24/02 A2994 RMK AO2 SLP122 T02390017

It's a beautiful day here today. I just got home from the airport and a few
touch and go's. The only problem is everyone else had the same idea!

Mike

Old December 7th 03, 12:32 AM
Rosspilot

So far, about eight inches, and it's still coming down hard, forecast
for the next several hours.

I'm about 13 mi. north of NYC on the Hudson River.

We have 12" down now and it's still coming. I am also just north of

Manhattan
in Rockland. Happy to be inside my warm'n'cozy old farmhouse. The wind is
screamin' at 45 mph.
www.Rosspilot.com

Where in Rockland?...I'm in Nyack

Suffern . . . on Rt 202 in Ramapo Mountain foothills. Based at 4N1 . . . you?

www.Rosspilot.com

Old December 7th 03, 12:42 AM
Peter Duniho

"Tom Fleischman" wrote in message
rthlink.net...
As I sit here sipping my chai tea with rum watching the snow blowing
and falling I'm remembering a saying that I first heard during my
primary training:

"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I
was down here."

Heh...

For some egocentric reason, all I could think about reading the coverage of
the East Coast weather was how they were stealing our thunder. Any other
day, the 80mph peak gusts and quarter million households without power would
have been national news. But the next day, is there any mention of the
Pacific Northwest's weather problems? Nope...the East Coast got all the
coverage.

It wasn't flyable around here that day either.

Pete

Old December 7th 03, 01:10 AM
CFLav8r

Hey don't forget about us down here in Florida.
We've had our share of weather problems too.
For example today when I went the airport to rent a plane for a few hours,
there was not one single plane available.
All 26 planes were out on rental.
See what happens when you have nothing but clear skies.
And with the cold front moving in we are supposed to dip way down to 75
degrees by tonight.

David (KORL)

2004 California airshow season shaping up! Wings Of Fury Military Aviation 0 December 31st 03 05:34 AM
Hunting Season EDR Piloting 29 November 9th 03 04:47 PM
Why are the Tbirds finishing season w/only 5 aircraft? dave999 Military Aviation 4 October 16th 03 03:40 PM