Boeing Reveals Sub-Tracking ScanEagle Study

Old June 10th 08, 03:19 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval

Default Boeing Reveals Sub-Tracking ScanEagle Study

See:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gener...hannel=defense

I suppose that will allow the P-8A to use MAD while staying
at high altitude. But is the small, disposable MAD gear a
Scan Eagle would carry as good as the tail stinger on a larger
aircraft?
Old June 11th 08, 08:16 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Dave[_6_]

wrote in
:

See:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gener...AN060908.xml&h
eadline=Boeing%20Reveals%20Sub-Tracking%20ScanEagle%20Study&channel=defen
se

I suppose that will allow the P-8A to use MAD while staying
at high altitude. But is the small, disposable MAD gear a
Scan Eagle would carry as good as the tail stinger on a larger
aircraft?

Probably. The external magnetic influences would certainly be much smaller.
In addition, using 21st century technology, instead of '70s or '80s, would
likely make a smaller, more efficient package.

Dave in Sandy Eggo
AT1, USN (Ret)
Old June 11th 08, 05:02 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval

On Jun 11, 12:16*am, Dave wrote:
wrote :

See:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gener...s/SCAN060908.x....
eadline=Boeing%20Reveals%20Sub-Tracking%20ScanEagle%20Study&channel=defen
se

I suppose that will allow the P-8A to use MAD while staying
at high altitude. *But is the small, disposable MAD gear a
Scan Eagle would carry as good as the tail stinger on a larger
aircraft?

Probably. The external magnetic influences would certainly be much smaller..
In addition, using 21st century technology, instead of '70s or '80s, would
likely make a smaller, more efficient package.

Dave in Sandy Eggo
AT1, USN (Ret)

More on UAV's that might someday be launched from the P-8A:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs...3-d22a245e68c9

BTW, the article in the original post says the ScanEagle
is supposed to follow a submarine around for up to 24 hrs.
Is that possible with just a MAD?

I thought MAD was usually used to confirm sonar contacts,
and pin down the Sub's locations for a more accurate
torpedo drop.
Old June 11th 08, 09:18 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval

On Jun 11, 11:14*am, "Boomerang" wrote:
That's the basic idea, of course, but once MAD contact is gained, you can
cloverleaf on it as long as you can hang in there at 2-300' (VP) and the
contact doesn't haul ass or back down. *Each time you get a "MADMAN," the
procedure used to be (long time ago for me) to retro out a smoke and if
everything is working right, you can look aft and see the contact's track in
the water as marked by your smokes on each pass. *The helo folks had their
own tactic, but the basic idea is the same. As a former VP CO, I used to
take crews out to the Andrea Doria wreck which sits in about a six knot
current part of the year. By cloverleafing over the wreck and marking each
contact with a smoke, you can simulate what a real one making six knots
would look and feel like. *Good practice. *Nowadays I guess that's all done
in the simulator for a lot less money.

I wonder how well this would work against a sub that DOES
"haul ass or back down". Or against a sub with a low magnetic
signature.

The titanium-hulled Alphas may be gone now, but steel-hulled
boats can have their magnetic signatures reduced by modern
magnetic silencing technology:

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...ad.php?t=90956

http://eyeball-series.org/deperm/deperm-eyeball.htm

I wonder if a MAD-only UAV is such a good idea.
Old June 27th 08, 05:09 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval

It looks like the P-8 is going to use expendable UAV's to look
at surface targets too:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs...5-6ca2d4b9d24d

Using expendable UAV's for routine missions like this could get
expensive after awhile.
Old June 27th 08, 06:03 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Bill Kambic

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 09:09:22 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

It looks like the P-8 is going to use expendable UAV's to look
at surface targets too:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs...5-6ca2d4b9d24d

Using expendable UAV's for routine missions like this could get
expensive after awhile.

For routine missions you wouldn't.

Old June 28th 08, 03:42 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
Fred J. McCall

wrote:

:It looks like the P-8 is going to use expendable UAV's to look
:at surface targets too:
:
:
http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs...5-6ca2d4b9d24d
:
:Using expendable UAV's for routine missions like this could get
:expensive after awhile.
:

Apparently that costs less than the loss of airframe life from using
the airplane to do it, which is why it's being considered.

--
"Millions for defense, but not one cent for tribute."
-- Charles Pinckney
Old June 28th 08, 06:51 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
BlackBeard

:http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs...plckController...
:
:Using expendable UAV's for routine missions like this could get
:expensive after awhile.
:

Apparently that costs less than the loss of airframe life from using
the airplane to do it, which is why it's being considered.

--
"Millions for defense, but not one cent for tribute."
* * * * * * * * * * * * * *-- Charles Pinckney

I just spent 40 minutes responding to this post with an explanation of
what airborne ASW could do to really be part of the game and become a
serious threat to Submarines. It was really cool and relatively
inexpensive.
Then I realized what the hell I was doing and which side I favored so
I deleted the entire post.
I'm really glad I did, because while it would have been interesting to
see what some of you would have done with it, picking it apart and
playing with it, I know there are some very good S-T&E's here that
might have found a way to make it work. And that scared the hell out
of me.

BB

I guess everybody has some mountain to climb in their life.
It's just fate whether you live in Kansas or Tibet.
Old June 28th 08, 12:32 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military.naval
dott.Piergiorgio

wrote:

[...]

How I must parse this ?

"I was writing ramblings on 'how things must be done' theme"

or

"I was on the verge of talking too much in a public place"

Best regards from Italy,
Dott. Piergiorgio.