Fake military guys & the Stolen Valor Act of 2005

Old August 24th 08, 04:01 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
tankfixer

Default Fake military guys & the Stolen Valor Act of 2005

In article NV3sk.9483$%b7.5738@edtnps82,
says...

"tankfixer" wrote in message
In article 6c5a027f-d2c5-4246-8443-57450187bd6c@
79g2000hsk.googlegroups.com,
says...
On Aug 23, 1:29 pm, "Bob McKellar" wrote:
Whatever happened to the resident RAM IRA operative/USAF General?

Bob McKellar

I think that's the boy, the last I heard he was discussing housing
accommodations with a local arm of the law. Probably let him go.

last information I've seen is he was held without bail prior to trial.
That was in may 2007

Well, for the reading enjoyment of the general audience, I offer this:

http://www.specsec.org/wp-content/up...tion-order.pdf

Yup.

Like a former commander I had.
Rumor is she got in a bit of trouble after leaving us for a new post but
I can't confirm it, yet.

--
Meddle ye not in the Affairs of Dragons, for Thou art Crunchy and taste
Goode with Ketchup.
Old August 24th 08, 04:08 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
La N

"tankfixer" wrote in message
In article 6c5a027f-d2c5-4246-8443-57450187bd6c@
79g2000hsk.googlegroups.com,
says...
On Aug 23, 1:29 pm, "Bob McKellar" wrote:
Whatever happened to the resident RAM IRA operative/USAF General?

Bob McKellar

I think that's the boy, the last I heard he was discussing housing
accommodations with a local arm of the law. Probably let him go.

last information I've seen is he was held without bail prior to trial.
That was in may 2007

Well, for the reading enjoyment of the general audience, I offer this:

http://www.specsec.org/wp-content/up...tion-order.pdf

Yup.

Like a former commander I had.
Rumor is she got in a bit of trouble after leaving us for a new post but
I can't confirm it, yet.

So many phoneys, so little time ....

- nilita (colour me jaded)

Old August 24th 08, 04:28 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Dan[_12_]

"tankfixer" wrote in message
[...]

That's why I don't want my tax dollars going after the relatively
small cases where some fool is just shooting his mouth off. In the case
of someone who uses fictitious credentials for personal gain or to cause
harm I'd say nail him to the wall.

In the days when all one needed to get a military discount for airfare
I'd see men wearing uniforms who were obviously not authorized. Little
clues like hair length and improper insignia would be missed even by
actual servicemen. I once pointed out to someone with whom I was
traveling an Air Force sergeant who was wearing a WW2 Victory Medal.
This was in the 1970s. The man with whom I was traveling hadn't noticed
and he had been in longer than I had.

Sometimes I wonder what the fakers are thinking. I once saw a soldier
in uniform getting carded by a noncom in front of the Ft. Eustis PX. The
soldier said he didn't have an identity card because he had "only been
in a short while." Maybe he wanted to go shopping and hang out with real
soldiers, but was it really worth the risk, albeit small, of jail time?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old August 24th 08, 06:00 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
tankfixer

In article lg4sk.9486$%b7.1897@edtnps82,
says...

"tankfixer" wrote in message
In article 6c5a027f-d2c5-4246-8443-57450187bd6c@
79g2000hsk.googlegroups.com,
says...
On Aug 23, 1:29 pm, "Bob McKellar" wrote:
Whatever happened to the resident RAM IRA operative/USAF General?

Bob McKellar

I think that's the boy, the last I heard he was discussing housing
accommodations with a local arm of the law. Probably let him go.

last information I've seen is he was held without bail prior to trial.
That was in may 2007

Well, for the reading enjoyment of the general audience, I offer this:

http://www.specsec.org/wp-content/up...tion-order.pdf

Yup.

Like a former commander I had.
Rumor is she got in a bit of trouble after leaving us for a new post but
I can't confirm it, yet.

So many phoneys, so little time ....

She was a phony in uniform.
I've never worked for someone who in two years never learned thier
subordinates names, first or last...

Old August 24th 08, 10:12 AM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
korben dallas

Tiger wrote:

what did you expect? the message that is delivered loud and clear into
the head of every person living in the usa is: "fake? no problem, as
long as it sounds patriotic". its results are visible on all levels,
ranging from "wmd in iraq", through us cities posting "patriotic"
bull**** on their websites (like http://www.solvangca.com/flag/1.htm),
to veterans exaggerating their service records, and to crooks posing as
veterans. the vietnam vet idea is a story in itself. can you imagine an
ss veteran in germany driving around with a car sticker identifying him
as such?
Old August 24th 08, 02:14 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Richard Casady

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 02:12:48 -0700, korben dallas
wrote:

Tiger wrote:

what did you expect? the message that is delivered loud and clear into
the head of every person living in the usa is: "fake? no problem, as
long as it sounds patriotic". its results are visible on all levels,
ranging from "wmd in iraq", through us cities posting "patriotic"
bull**** on their websites (like http://www.solvangca.com/flag/1.htm),
to veterans exaggerating their service records, and to crooks posing as
veterans. the vietnam vet idea is a story in itself. can you imagine an
ss veteran in germany driving around with a car sticker identifying him
as such?

After WWII there was a lapel pin for US vets. It was a representation
of an eagle, and it was commonly referred to as the " Ruptured Duck"

Casady
Old August 24th 08, 04:44 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Richard Casady

She was a phony in uniform.
I've never worked for someone who in two years never learned thier
subordinates names, first or last...

Name tags were universal by the sixties, if not before. Hardly a chore
to learn the names of coworkers.

Casady
Old August 24th 08, 09:56 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
Bill Kambic

wrote:

Tiger wrote:

what did you expect? the message that is delivered loud and clear into
the head of every person living in the usa is: "fake? no problem, as
long as it sounds patriotic". its results are visible on all levels,
ranging from "wmd in iraq", through us cities posting "patriotic"
bull**** on their websites (like
http://www.solvangca.com/flag/1.htm),
to veterans exaggerating their service records, and to crooks posing as
veterans. the vietnam vet idea is a story in itself. can you imagine an
ss veteran in germany driving around with a car sticker identifying him
as such?

After WWII there was a lapel pin for US vets. It was a representation
of an eagle, and it was commonly referred to as the " Ruptured Duck"

This was a very practical "decoration."

When the War ended there was a serious shortage of civilian clothes
for several million demobilized vets. This pin was developed to allow
a vet to wear uniform items without running afoul of Federal laws on
military uniform wear. It was not meant to be a "bumper sticker."

Old August 24th 08, 10:31 PM posted to sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
The Horny Goat

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 02:19:47 GMT, "La N"
wrote:

I'm not so sure about that.

My mother was killed in a rather spectacular car crash in January 2005
and there were zillions of Google hits at the time. I was interviewed
by 3 reporters that week and I can assure you that it was no picnic.
(They were fair and I knew they were doing their job but still...)

Geeze. I'm sorry ... I don't know what else to say ...

No problem - it's old news now.

After 3 1/2 years you either have to deal with it or blow one's
friggin' brains out.

I'm sorry she won't be there for my eldest's college graduation next
year but one goes on. One simply has to.

My point though stands - her passing was rather spectacular and got
quite a lot of press coverage which was reflected in Google.

Now - nada.

So don't count on news stories of yesteryear staying on line forever.