Making my landing gear

Old March 25th 04, 04:37 AM
Lou Parker

Default Making my landing gear

Can anyone tell me where to find information on making fixed tri-gear?
There seems to be a bit on the main gear, but nothing on making a nose
gear.
Lou
Old March 26th 04, 09:10 PM
George A. Graham

On 24 Mar 2004, Lou Parker wrote:

Can anyone tell me where to find information on making fixed tri-gear?
There seems to be a bit on the main gear, but nothing on making a nose
gear.

I made my main gear, but purchased the nose gear strut from Featherlite.
The LongEZ nose gear has little weight on it, so the gear leg was less
than one hundred dollars.

A great book is "Landing Gear Design for Light Aircraft" by Ladislao
Pazmany.

Good luck!

George Graham
RX-7 Powered Graham-EZ, N4449E
Homepage http://bfn.org/~ca266

Old March 27th 04, 03:13 AM
B2431

From: (Lou Parker)

(Corky Scott) wrote in message
On 24 Mar 2004 19:37:34 -0800,
(Lou Parker) wrote:

Can anyone tell me where to find information on making fixed tri-gear?
There seems to be a bit on the main gear, but nothing on making a nose
gear.
Lou

Ladislao Pazmany and his book: "Landing Gear Design for Light
Aircraft" is the best reference I can think of.

http://www.booksunderreview.com/Busi...nse/Aerospace/

Aircraft/Fixed_Wing/Light_Aircraft/

Corky Scott

Thanks for the info, since the guy wants $245. for the book, I might
be better off buying the gear.
Lou

You might check e-bay. There's not one there now, but maybe some day.

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired
Old March 27th 04, 02:57 PM
Pierre

I made my main gear, but purchased the nose gear strut from Featherlite.
The LongEZ nose gear has little weight on it, so the gear leg was less
than one hundred dollars.

George Graham
RX-7 Powered Graham-EZ, N4449E
Homepage http://bfn.org/~ca266

You made your main gear! Impressive. I'd be curious (and i suppose other
people too) to learn how you went about it. Composite?

Don't be shy to share your experience. This is what this group is about (I
'd like to believe that).

Pierre
Trying to design is own

Old March 29th 04, 02:21 AM
Ernest Christley

Pierre wrote:
I made my main gear, but purchased the nose gear strut from Featherlite.
The LongEZ nose gear has little weight on it, so the gear leg was less
than one hundred dollars.

George Graham
RX-7 Powered Graham-EZ, N4449E
Homepage http://bfn.org/~ca266

You made your main gear! Impressive. I'd be curious (and i suppose other
people too) to learn how you went about it. Composite?

Don't be shy to share your experience. This is what this group is about (I
'd like to believe that).

Pierre
Trying to design is own

I did it for my Delta. Take a 1" round bar of 6150 steel and put
several bends in it. Weld a plate at each end.

--
http://www.ernest.isa-geek.org/
"Ignorance is mankinds normal state,
Old March 31st 04, 10:34 PM
George A. Graham

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004, Pierre wrote:

You made your main gear! Impressive. I'd be curious (and i suppose other
people too) to learn how you went about it. Composite?

Yes, I used the formulas from Pazmany. For my 900 lb empty craft, I came
up with 1.5" thick by 4" wide in the center of the hoop, which tapers to
..75" thick by 3" wide at the axle attachment.

I made a mold from plywood, the proper shape. And an oven to cure the
epoxy. I used "S glass roving" fiberglass strands. I had planned to
compress the fibers in the mold, but it setup before I could get all
the fibers layed up.

After the hoop cured, I added foam to the leading and trailing edges,
then carved it to an airfoil shape and layed up two plies of cloth.

It works great, Five years now, and a few really hard landings.
I used Cozy plans for the attachment concept.

The Swings were a big help (Owners of Velocity Aircraft).
Any questions ?