Researching WW2 Aircraft.

Old September 27th 03, 02:37 AM
JDupre5762

Default Researching WW2 Aircraft.

I have the basic information concerning a family friend who was KIA in Italy
during WW2. The information comes from the American Battle Monuments
Commission and includes his name, service number, squadron and group. How
could I determine which aircraft he was flying in and whether it carried a name
or nose art? Web searches of the squadron and group have only turned up the
most general information.

John Dupre'
Old September 27th 03, 08:57 AM
Tex Houston

"JDupre5762" wrote in message
I have the basic information concerning a family friend who was KIA in

Italy
during WW2. The information comes from the American Battle Monuments
Commission and includes his name, service number, squadron and group. How
could I determine which aircraft he was flying in and whether it carried a

name
or nose art? Web searches of the squadron and group have only turned up

the
most general information.

John Dupre'

Go to http://www.armyairforces.com/ and make a query there, I get a summary
from them every day and your request would be typical. Most groups have
very good databases with information on people and planes. Take a look
around. You may have to register for full access.

Regards,

Tex Houston

Old September 27th 03, 11:05 AM
Cub Driver

John, if there is any possibility you can do the work in Washington,
I'd ask for an interview with a researcher at the National Archives.
Likely you can find out the procedure on the web. (You used to just
turn up, but that was before 9/11.) These people are immensely
knowledgeable and helpful.

Unfortunately, U.S. records are scattered all over the country, due to
service and congressional lobbying, so that may not be the end of your
journey. But Washington is almost always the place to start, if you
don't know where to start.

Good luck!

On 27 Sep 2003 01:37:54 GMT, (JDupre5762) wrote:

I have the basic information concerning a family friend who was KIA in Italy
during WW2. The information comes from the American Battle Monuments
Commission and includes his name, service number, squadron and group. How
could I determine which aircraft he was flying in and whether it carried a name
or nose art? Web searches of the squadron and group have only turned up the
most general information.

John Dupre'

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: