OSH N40 Camping with Cessna reservations

Old July 14th 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ET

Default OSH N40 Camping with Cessna reservations

My dad and I are flying into OSH for the first time this year (rented a car
from ORD last year)and plan to camp with the plane (NOT a Cessna). We
intend to fly to Jay's Sat, then fly with them on Sunday mid-day to the
North 40.

I'm a little concerned about how the 500 spaces that are reserved for
Cessna's will affect our ability to get a camping space....

Roughly how many camping spaces are there total??? When does North 40
camping normally fill up WITHOUT 500 spaces being reserved for Cessnas??

Am I being paranoid??

--
-- ET :-)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams
Old July 14th 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
ET

"Morgans" wrote in
:

"ET" wrote

My dad and I are flying into OSH for the first time this year (rented

car
from ORD last year)and plan to camp with the plane (NOT a Cessna).
We intend to fly to Jay's Sat, then fly with them on Sunday mid-day
to the North 40.

I'm a little concerned about how the 500 spaces that are reserved for
Cessna's will affect our ability to get a camping space....

Roughly how many camping spaces are there total??? When does North
40 camping normally fill up WITHOUT 500 spaces being reserved for
Cessnas??

Am I being paranoid??

Yep. There are not spaces reserved; all are first come first serve
for factory built planes. If you fly in on Sunday there will be
plenty of places left.

Download and read the NOTAM and download the sign for your window
(about where you want to park) from RST.COM

No, there are 500 spaces reserved in the North 40 for Cessna's for the
"celebration of the 172 turning 50"...

http://www.airventure.org/2006/news/060504_cessna.html

Begin Quote:
A specially designated area in the North 40, “Cessna Base Camp,” will
accommodate up to 500 airplanes at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2006 to honor
the 50th anniversary of the Cessna 172 and 182. The exclusive parking
area will allow owners/operators of the most produced airplane model in
history to park their aircraft, camp together, and be close to several
activities planned throughout the week July 24-30.

End Quote..

Now, these Cessnas have to make a reservation on a special website and
they have to arrive by Sunday evening... but this is why I'm concerned
about possibly being turned away for camping before normal....

Old July 14th 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_3_]

"ET" wrote

[...]

Jim in NC
--
Jim in NC

Old July 14th 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_3_]

"ET" wrote

Begin Quote:
A specially designated area in the North 40, “Cessna Base Camp,” will
accommodate up to 500 airplanes at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2006 to honor
the 50th anniversary of the Cessna 172 and 182. The exclusive parking
area will allow owners/operators of the most produced airplane model in
history to park their aircraft, camp together, and be close to several
activities planned throughout the week July 24-30.

End Quote..

Now, these Cessnas have to make a reservation on a special website and
they have to arrive by Sunday evening... but this is why I'm concerned
about possibly being turned away for camping before normal....

My guess is that they are reserving 500 places for airplanes that would have
come, anyway. I still can't imagine that there will be any problem.

I'll place money on less planes being there, than last year. Gas prices
always seem to keep some away.
--
Jim in NC

Old July 14th 06, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

Oh, $#!+, I forgot to do this year's Oshkosh Bound posters, not going and
all. Give me until Sunday to get it done and up.

And it is www.rstengineering.com by the way.

Jim

Old July 14th 06, 11:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I'll place money on less planes being there, than last year. Gas prices
always seem to keep some away.

I hope you're wrong, but I'll bet you're right. It seems like
everywhere we go, now, we're either the only plane flying, or one of
just a hand-full...

My son and I just got back from Madeline Island -- camping on a
beautiful, 3000-foot paved strip on a gorgeous island in Lake Superior.
We had perfect summer weather, at the peak of the tourist season,
camped with the plane for nearly 3 days -- and counted the number of
arrivals and departures on ONE hand.

:-(
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 15th 06, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John T[_1_]

I work the north 40 flight line ops, parking.

The cessnas will be at the west end of 9/27, north and south of the
runway, but as mentioned, you need to make a reservation with the folks
who are organizing it. The mass arrivals are Saturday afternoon, with
the cessnas scheduled to arrive at 2 times, 2pm and 3pm. There are also
the bonnies arrive at 1PM, and mooneys at 4PM, so anybody else may well
want to avoid arriving saturday afternoon if at all possible!!

With that said, it does take awhile to fill up the north 40 camping, so
if you arrive through sunday, you should be able to get a space.

Personally, I think they are way overestimating the numbers of cessnas
that want to park in the reserved areas. 500 planes is a heck of a lot!

John

Old July 15th 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns

Hmm... 500 reserved spots... how far east of the "west end 9/27" shower
building would that put the beginning of the other North 40 parking/campers?
Jim

Old July 15th 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

My guess is that this will be a big bust, with perhaps
200 planes parked in the reserved area, so that might put them about even
with the shower.

Hey, to get a campsite near the showers (but not TOO near), I'll paint
"Cessna" on the side of Atlas!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 15th 06, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_3_]

"Jim Burns" wrote in message
news
Hmm... 500 reserved spots... how far east of the "west end 9/27" shower
building would that put the beginning of the other North 40

parking/campers?
Jim

My guess would be 20 to 25 rows, IF they all come, and IF they don't want to
park down at vinage, or camp with their non Cessna friend in the non
reserved section. My guess is that this will be a big bust, with perhaps
200 planes parked in the reserved area, so that might put them about even
with the shower.

Of course, this is a big time WAG! g
--
Jim in NC