Jim Weir or other qualified persons: a tangent on the 2 radio 1 antennathread

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 14th 04, 04:17 PM
Dave S

Default Jim Weir or other qualified persons: a tangent on the 2 radio 1 antennathread

Something about the thread, regarding transmitting power from one radio
being funnelled into the other radio made me take pause. In the Houston
area (and I'm sure most other major cities) there is an antenna farm
that has a collection of FM, AM and TV broadcast antennae. I would
estimate there are 10 in a several square mile area and have radiated
power in the Tens of Thousands of watts. This area lies just to the
southwest outside the surface area of Hobby's Class B and the tops of
the antennae reach up to the floor of the next ring of Class B.

When circumnavigating the Class B its not uncommon to be as close as a
mile to these towers and once or twice I've heard bleed-over on the VHF
radios of the aircraft.

My question is, given the limited "resistance" of some of the radio
components (and the ability to tolerate less than a watt input if I
paraphrased it correctly) I am wondering just how much energy the radio
system is being exposed to flying by the transmitting elements a mile
away laterally, and how prudent that is for the longevity of the
components. Lets use 50,000 watts if that is appropriate for the example.

Dave