Leaving the community

Old November 15th 04, 04:32 PM
Trent Moorehead

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
news:4qnld.401624$D%.242701@attbi_s51...
Clearly you've not met many common criminals.

In this country no one steals for "survival". They're stealing because

they
have no morals -- period.

This reminds of something I heard a few months ago. On a local radio show, a
caller called in and stated that his radio had been stolen from his car.
Then he stated that he wasn't too angry because he was sure that the thief
was poor. The host of the show asked, "OK, what's your point?"

The caller said, "Well, poverty is the cause of crime."

I was and am amazed that someone could be that confused.

-Trent
PP-ASEL

Old November 15th 04, 05:44 PM
Peter Duniho

"Trent Moorehead" wrote in message
[...]
The caller said, "Well, poverty is the cause of crime."

I was and am amazed that someone could be that confused.

It's no more amazing than that someone could be so confused as to think that
the ONLY reason someone steals, in this country or anywhere, is "because
they have no morals -- period".

Theft and other crimes occur for a wide variety of reasons, even here in the
US. You'd have to be a blockhead to actually *condone* crime, but a person
who is as ignorant as to the reasons for it as Jay is has no hope of ever
contributing to reducing or eliminating crime.

There are, in fact, plenty of thefts that happen every day in this country
motivated strictly by survival.

Pete

Old November 15th 04, 10:06 PM
Gig Giacona

"Corky Scott" wrote in message
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:33:22 -0600, "Gig Giacona"
wrote:

BULL$HIT Corky, Every time BC got in trouble he chucked a missle at
someone.

Gig, you'll have to explain where you're going with this because I'm
not seeing the connection with what I've written.

Corky Scott

Damn Corky you're going to make me remeber what we talked about last week.
But from my response I'd be willing to bet that yyou said something to the
effect that Bush, unlike Clinton, likes to kill people with the military and
my statement refers to Clinton ordering Cruise Missle attacks on asprin
factories.

Old November 16th 04, 04:36 AM
Jay Honeck

Theft and other crimes occur for a wide variety of reasons, even here in
the US. You'd have to be a blockhead to actually *condone* crime, but a
person who is as ignorant as to the reasons for it as Jay is has no hope
of ever contributing to reducing or eliminating crime.

There are, in fact, plenty of thefts that happen every day in this country
motivated strictly by survival.

What a load of crap.

If you steal, you are scum. There is no justification for stealing, and
society should extend no forgiveness.

It's attitudes like yours that continue to screw up our world.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 16th 04, 06:35 AM
Peter Duniho

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
What a load of crap.

I don't know who's load of crap you replied to, but it wasn't mine. Your
reply had nothing to do with what I actually wrote (other than the topic
being theft).

In other words, quit putting words in my mouth.

For someone who was so eager to get back to flying topics, you sure haven't
changed your habits much.

Pete

Old November 16th 04, 09:35 AM
Thomas Borchert

Jay,

If you steal, you are scum. There is no justification for stealing, and
society should extend no forgiveness.

That's exactly the simplified view of the world that makes certain big
countries in this world a problem.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old November 16th 04, 01:03 PM
Jay Honeck

If you steal, you are scum. There is no justification for stealing, and
society should extend no forgiveness.

That's exactly the simplified view of the world that makes certain big
countries in this world a problem.

And your "there is no right or wrong" view of the world is exactly why it's
so screwed up.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 16th 04, 01:09 PM
Jay Honeck

I'm sorry, Pete, my newsreader shows that you wrote:

Theft and other crimes occur for a wide variety of reasons, even here in
the US. You'd have to be a blockhead to actually *condone* crime, but a
person who is as ignorant as to the reasons for it as Jay is has no hope
of ever contributing to reducing or eliminating crime.

There are, in fact, plenty of thefts that happen every day in this country
motivated strictly by survival.

To which I replied:

What a load of crap.

To which YOU replied:

I don't know who's load of crap you replied to, but it wasn't mine. Your
reply had nothing to do with what I actually wrote (other than the topic
being theft).

I'm confused here -- did you NOT write that top paragraph?

If not, I apologize. (Although it's STILL a load of crap -- it's just not
yours! :-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 16th 04, 01:20 PM
jls

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Theft and other crimes occur for a wide variety of reasons, even here in
the US. You'd have to be a blockhead to actually *condone* crime, but a
person who is as ignorant as to the reasons for it as Jay is has no hope
of ever contributing to reducing or eliminating crime.

There are, in fact, plenty of thefts that happen every day in this

country
motivated strictly by survival.

What a load of crap.

If you steal, you are scum. There is no justification for stealing, and
society should extend no forgiveness.

It's attitudes like yours that continue to screw up our world.
--

Well, let's see here. The court didn't find these people to be scum:

There was a shipwreck and a crowded lifeboat and no food or water. The
passengers stole the life of one of their fellow passengers in order to
survive. The case came before a judge on the charge of murder and
cannibalism but was dismissed. Defense of necessity.

You can read about it in Holmes, _The Common Law_ although I doubt you do
much reading or thinking and maybe are a little hotheaded.

There have been other cases in which someone stole food in order to survive.
That someone was neither scum nor criminal. Did someone steal a towel or
silverware from your inn? Now *that* thief would in my opinion be, well,
maybe not scum but a little slimy. I kinda get the feeling you would cut
off his hand like the moozle-ums do, but that would be a little harsh and
our Constitution forbids cruel and inhuman punishment.

Old November 16th 04, 01:38 PM
Thomas Borchert

Jay,

And your "there is no right or wrong" view of the world is exactly why it's
so screwed up.

And you, of course, are the one who knows and gets to decide just what is
"right" and what is "wrong"?

So, just for starters, who again owned that land you now live on before your
ancestors STOLE it from them? And during building that oh so great country,
whose labor did they STEAL by enslaving a whole race? Let me quote you again:

"If you steal, you are scum."

The world isn't simple. Anyone trying to make it so is dumb or trying to trick
you. And there is certainly no ultimate authority on what is right or wrong.
BTW, ironically your view would probably be shared by islamic fundamentalists.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Leaving the community David Brooks Instrument Flight Rules 556 November 30th 04 08:08 PM
aero-domains for anybody in the aviation community secura Aviation Marketplace 1 June 26th 04 07:37 PM
Unruly Passengers SelwayKid Piloting 88 June 5th 04 08:35 AM
Report Leaving Assigned Altitude? John Clonts Instrument Flight Rules 81 March 20th 04 02:34 PM
Big Kahunas Jay Honeck Piloting 360 December 20th 03 12:59 AM