Discus verus Discus 2, LS8, ASW 28

Old October 22nd 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roger[_5_]

Default Discus verus Discus 2, LS8, ASW 28

How do these two gliders compare to one another? Is there a Discus 2x?
How does the original compare in todays competition world, LS8, Discus
2, ASW-28. Does the oringinal Discus give away any performance to the
current crop of gliders. Interesting to note that the LS8 is an LS6
with fixed flaps, therefore, it is still of the same generation of the
oringinal Discus, or is it?!

Old October 23rd 06, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

The Discus 2 and ASW 28 are essentiall identical in performance,
followed by the LS-8 and finally original Discus. Check the handicaps!

Everyone agrees that the Discus 2 is the prettiest, though, although I
am biased!

Mike

Old October 23rd 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kilo Charlie

"Mike the Strike" wrote in message
oups.com...
The Discus 2 and ASW 28 are essentiall identical in performance,
followed by the LS-8 and finally original Discus. Check the handicaps!

Everyone agrees that the Discus 2 is the prettiest, though, although I
am biased!

Mike

Not sure which list you are looking at WA but the Discus 2B (your glider)
handicap is 0.926 and the handicap is for the ASW-28 and LS-8 is 0.925. I
would call those identical for all practical purposes. Whether you believe
those or not I would guess that all that have flown them in or against them
in competition think that they are all within a percentage point of
performance....much less than being able to tell due to pilot variability.
Check http://www.ssa.org/members/contestreports/scoring.asp for the handicap
list.

Having said that I do think that the Discus 2 has slightly better high speed
performance but once again a barely perceptable difference. I really
dislike the ergonomics or lack thereof in the Discus.....I can barely raise
of lower the gear and have heard that complaint from pilots of all sizes
(I'm 5' 10"). The LS-8 gear is the easiest to operate of any sailplane I've
flown. The visibility is also far better in the LS-8....I can easily see my
tail. I can also turn my oxygen on or off during flight.

Now re "prettiest" I do think that the Discus is nice but beauty is in the
eye of the beholder and at least for me I would fly a pig if it had better
performance or better ergonomics!

Final line is that you can't go wrong with any of those choices.

Casey Lenox
KC
Phoenix
(in Mike's club or what's left of it ;-)

Old October 23rd 06, 04:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

KC is right - there's nothing between the top three he mentions.
(Except my Discus 2 has about a 10% extra handicap in the pilot, which
easily cancels any advantage in the aircraft itself)

I can't disagree about the ergonomics either - the Discus gear does
take a knack to raise, which some find difficult. Rear visibility is
probably best in the ASW-28. Being a broader person, I find the
LS-8/LS-6 cockpit a bit tight. Both the Discus and ASW-28 are fine for
me.

II also prefer the ergonomics of the Scleicher and LS front-hinged
canopies, but at least the side-hinged Schemmp-Hirth doesn't whack you
on the head if you jettison it in flight.

I still think the the Discus 2 is the prettiest!

Mike

Old October 23rd 06, 05:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

I've flown my 28 against well flown D2's and LS8's. My feeling is
that, at the same wing loading, the 28 has a very slight disadvantage
in climb over the D2 in weak conditions but runs better than either at
high speed.

There's not enough difference in performance to influence the choice.
Other factors may be more important.

I chose the 28 over the LS8 for cockpit design, decent sized main gear
and wheel, and good wheel brake. I'll probably never buy a Ventus or
Discus because the rear visibility for tall pilots is appalling.

Andy

Old October 23rd 06, 05:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roger[_5_]

Oh, but how does the oringinal Discus or for that matter the ASW 24 go
against the newer offerings? Do new glass have more performance?

Old October 23rd 06, 05:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jack[_1_]

Enough already!

How about the DG-303?

Jack
Old October 23rd 06, 06:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Mike the Strike wrote:

II also prefer the ergonomics of the Scleicher and LS front-hinged
canopies, but at least the side-hinged Schemmp-Hirth doesn't whack you
on the head if you jettison it in flight.

Neither does the ASW 28 canopy. Starting with the ASH 26, Schleicher has
incorporated a Roeger hook or equivalent in it's gliders. I believe the
LS8 has also has one, or DG has made one available for it as a retrofit.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

"Transponders in Sailplanes" on the Soaring Safety Foundation website
www.soaringsafety.org/prevention/articles.html

"A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old October 23rd 06, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kilo Charlie

"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message

Neither does the ASW 28 canopy. Starting with the ASH 26, Schleicher has
incorporated a Roeger hook or equivalent in it's gliders. I believe the
LS8 has also has one, or DG has made one available for it as a retrofit.
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

Not sure what a Roeger hook is but the LS-8 has a spring loaded mechanism at
the front of the canopy which releases and at the same time a clamp at the
back of the canopy that latches resulting in the canopy getting blown up at
the nose and over the back. Sounds like a much better way to exit than
anything else I've heard of.....other than an ejection seat of course!

Casey

Old October 23rd 06, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I've flown my Ventus 2C alongside the Discus 2, ASW-28, and LS-8, and
if I chose to go with the flapless crowd, my first choice would be the
LS8/18, based upon its performance, cockpit ergonomics, ease of
assembly, and bang for the buck.

The LS-8s I fly with (against?) in Arizona -- at least four of them --
I've only been able to beat in high-speed glides. I think they are
amazing sailplanes.

But those three gliders are all close enough in quality and performance
that if I were buying in the used market, I would take the first good
value that came along.

~ted/2NO

Discus 2b cockpit comfort? Jeremy Zawodny Soaring 11 January 12th 04 09:03 PM
[LBA] Schempp-Hirth - Discus bT - Discus Frederic FUCHS Soaring 0 September 17th 03 08:42 AM
All Czech built Discus grounded Paul Soaring 0 September 14th 03 02:22 AM
18m Discus Burt Compton Soaring 2 September 8th 03 10:52 AM
Discus Wing question John Galloway Soaring 6 August 23rd 03 07:52 AM