winglets on a 2-33?

Old March 10th 10, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mattm[_2_]

Default winglets on a 2-33?

On Mar 10, 10:24*am, sisu1a wrote:
Has anyone ever put winglets on a 2-33? *or any other Schweitzer?

When I read the subject I burst out laughing.

I think tip losses on any Schweitzer are so far down
in the noise you'd never see the change. :-)
* * ...lew...

Hmmm, while laughable on a 2-33 or *most* any SGS using essentially a
Clark-Y airfoil, *the 1-35, prolly even the 2-32, and perhaps even the
1-34 and 1-36 would benefit as much as any other ship (% wise) from
properly designed tip treatments. Look at all the big dumb ugly normal
aircraft that get them, there must be _some gains...

I do remember seeing a pic a few years back of some cardboard mock-ups
of winglets on a 2-33 done as a joke... which was rather amusing. Of
course you can always just 'shop them in- they'd be just as effective!

-Paul

I remember seeing those on the club 1-34 at a regional contest
years ago. A couple of Harris Hill juniors taped them on as a joke
(this is when Monty and Heinz were fitting real winglets on every 20
around) to psych out the competition. Charlie Spratt was Not Amused.
They did win the day in sports class though.

-- Matt
Old March 10th 10, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Mar 10, 11:18*am, JS wrote:
* There is no other 1-26 as hot rodded as that which graced the
western skies 15+ years ago.
Huge pieces of mylar material were used for the aileron gap seal.
The wingtip wheels were faired with something that looked like paper
mache applied by a toddler.
The tow vehicle had similar mylar treatment to the wheel wells.
* There were more mods, but my eyes were tearing so much I probably
couldn't see them. Several people wet themselves, and one nearly
required a hospital visit after the hysteria.

Har! About 8 years before that, I showed up at my club one Sunday
morning to pull out the 1-34 and discovered someone had made
"fairings" for the wing tip wheels out of clear package sealing tape.
They'd also taped over a few of the deeper dents on the old bird and I
can't remember what else. I spent an extra 40 minutes removing all
this tape and cleaning up the adhesive and flew the ship. Sometime
later this red haired fellow whose name you might recognize shows up
(he was not an early riser) and starts hollering about "who took my
fairings off", etc. etc. He thought he was going to fly a 300K
triangle for a standard class record in that thing, having shown up at
about 2pm. Yes, it was amusing. In fact, I don't ever remember him
flying cross country prior to this little episode. I don't think he's
in soaring any longer... if he is, he's gone quiet and this strikes me
as improbable. I do wonder though, if it was the same guy....

In retrospect, what I wish we'd done is called a local A&P (not a
soaring club regular) to show up and conduct a "ramp check" on this
guy, asking for form 337s and all the rest, but I'm not certain we
could have lasted three minutes without laughing.

-T8
Old March 10th 10, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On Mar 10, 7:29*am, Tony wrote:
On Mar 9, 10:30*pm, GARY BOGGS wrote:

Has anyone ever put winglets on a 2-33? *or any other Schweitzer?

wouldn't that sort of be like polishing a turd?

But of course, you CAN polish a turd:
http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/myth...ng-a-turd.html

Old March 10th 10, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grider Pirate

On Mar 10, 10:27*am, Papa3 wrote:
On Mar 10, 7:29*am, Tony wrote:

On Mar 9, 10:30*pm, GARY BOGGS wrote:

Has anyone ever put winglets on a 2-33? *or any other Schweitzer?

wouldn't that sort of be like polishing a turd?

But of course, you CAN polish a turd:http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/myth...ng-a-turd.html

.... and you can briefly dip a finger in molten lead, but would you
want to?
Old April 1st 10, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin[_5_]

On Mar 10, 12:30*am, GARY BOGGS wrote:
Has anyone ever put winglets on a 2-33? *or any other Schweitzer?

Is this like "how do I install an ashtray on my motorcycle?"
Old April 1st 10, 06:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Mar 9, 9:30*pm, GARY BOGGS wrote:
Has anyone ever put winglets on a 2-33? *or any other Schweitzer?

ok...............so I'll be the one.................how about winglets
on a ..........................PW-5?????????

Brad
Old April 1st 10, 01:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AGL

Has anyone ever put winglets on a 2-33? *or any other Schweitzer?

.... or wingtips of any sort?

http://members.goldengate.net/~tmren...35/winglet.jpg from
http://members.goldengate.net/~tmren.../sgs135new.htm
Old April 3rd 10, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Leroy Tire

Brad wrote:
On Mar 9, 9:30 pm, GARY BOGGS wrote:
Has anyone ever put winglets on a 2-33? or any other Schweitzer?

ok...............so I'll be the one.................how about winglets

Brad

Putting winglets on a 2-33 is like putting lipstick on a pig.

SZD 48-3/59 WINGLETS Paul Hanson Soaring 0 September 10th 07 10:41 PM
Pik 20 winglets [email protected] Soaring 0 March 18th 07 10:51 AM
winglets bagmaker Soaring 25 March 3rd 06 11:39 PM
LS4 Winglets Sleigh Soaring 2 June 8th 05 01:38 AM
Winglets on a Asw-27a KP Soaring 1 May 27th 05 01:18 PM