Complex Aircraft Question

Old October 14th 03, 02:51 AM
Chris

Default Complex Aircraft Question

I've recently obtained my multi-eingine rating in a seneca can this complex
aircraft time be used toward the FAR requirement of 10 hours of training in
a complex aircraft for a COMMERCIAL SINGLE ENGINE RATING (NOT MULTI). I have
about 11.5 complex between the seneca and an Arrow?

Thanks in Advance
Chris

Old October 14th 03, 01:11 PM
Sylvain

"Chris" wrote in message ...
I've recently obtained my multi-eingine rating in a seneca can this complex
aircraft time be used toward the FAR requirement of 10 hours of training in
a complex aircraft for a COMMERCIAL SINGLE ENGINE RATING (NOT MULTI). I have
about 11.5 complex between the seneca and an Arrow?

Thanks in Advance
Chris

I'd like to take a shot at this one :-)

in short, my answer is YES which I justify as follows:

disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, but I am trying to become a CFI and
would like to see if I understand some of the finer points of
interpreting
our beloved 14 CFR scriptures... so here it goes:

I reckon that you are referring to 61.129(a)(3)(ii) which stipulates
the aeronautical experience required for the commercial certificate
for
an airplane single engine (and I would assume that you do not already
hold a commercial certificate in another class of the same category,
i.e., that 61.63(c) does not apply);

....so it reads: ''10 hours of training in an airplane that has a
retractable landing gear, flaps, and a controllable pitch propeller,
or is turbine-powered, or for an applicant seeking a single-engine
seaplane rating, 10 hours of training in a seaplane that has flaps and
a controllable pitch propeller;''

It says explicitely ''in an airplane'' without specifying whether said
airplane is a single engine or not, unlike, for instance, the
requirement
on 61.129(a)(3)(i) which specifies that at least 5 hours of the
required
10 hours of instrument training must be done in a single engine
airplane.

So, I contend that if the FAA had meant for the complex aircraft to
be
a single, they would have said so explicitely.

voila voila.

what do you guys think?

--Sylvain

ps I got my commercial single engine using the 61.63(c), i.e., as an
additional class rating;
Old October 14th 03, 01:13 PM
Sylvain

"Chris" wrote in message ...
I've recently obtained my multi-eingine rating in a seneca

and I forgot: congratulations on your multi- rating!

--Sylvain
Old October 14th 03, 06:32 PM
Phil Rynn

I agree with Sylvain. I will be getting my SE Commercial one of these days.
While I have ME ATP, I have never flown any SE planes other than C-152/172
and PA-28. Basically, I was going to take the commercial a few months back,
but then moved, changed jobs, etc. The CFI's that I spoke with all agreed
that all I would need is the necessary dual time (6 hours within 60 days
IIRC) and a checkride. So yeah, I believe that the FARs are written the
way they are specifically to be interpreted the way Sylvain has.

Phil

Old October 15th 03, 04:49 AM
Sylvain

"Phil Rynn" wrote in message .net...
I agree with Sylvain. I will be getting my SE Commercial one of these days.
While I have ME ATP, I have never flown any SE planes other than C-152/172
and PA-28. Basically, I was going to take the commercial a few months back,
but then moved, changed jobs, etc. The CFI's that I spoke with all agreed
that all I would need is the necessary dual time (6 hours within 60 days
IIRC) and a checkride. So yeah, I believe that the FARs are written the
way they are specifically to be interpreted the way Sylvain has.

Phil

another interesting consequence of already having a commercial or better
like yourself in a multi-, is that the aircraft you will be using for the
single engine commercial checkride does not have to be a complex either :-)
(took my commercial ASEL in a Citabria :-)

--Sylvain
Old October 18th 03, 04:40 AM
Phil Rynn

Good point. I had initially planned to get my SE commercial in a C172, and
figured the minimum I would have to do was the 6 hrs of instruction and then
a checkride. Just haven't had the time to do it yet.
Phil

"Sylvain" wrote in message
om...
"Phil Rynn" wrote in message

[...]