Gear problem in an Aztec PA23-250

Old December 16th 04, 06:16 PM
Robert Borucki

Default Gear problem in an Aztec PA23-250

I was flying around in a '64 Aztec yesterday, and did some touch and goes,
and on one downwind, dropped the gear, and did not get a right main gear
down indicator light. I tried switching lightbulbs, etc. I had full
hydraulics, as the flaps worked fine. I tried cycling the gear a few times,
then tried pumping manually. I then flew around fairly slow in the practice
area and did a few turns, and then the gear light popped on. Just prior to
that, did a few flyby's at the airport, and the observer said it looked like
the gear was down. Anyways, with three green, I went in and landed
uneventfully.

Any ideas?

Bob Borucki

Old December 16th 04, 08:35 PM
Dale

In article ,
"Robert Borucki" wrote:

I was flying around in a '64 Aztec yesterday, and did some touch and goes,
and on one downwind, dropped the gear, and did not get a right main gear
down indicator light. I tried switching lightbulbs, etc. I had full
hydraulics, as the flaps worked fine. I tried cycling the gear a few times,
then tried pumping manually. I then flew around fairly slow in the practice
area and did a few turns, and then the gear light popped on. Just prior to
that, did a few flyby's at the airport, and the observer said it looked like
the gear was down. Anyways, with three green, I went in and landed
uneventfully.

If it was mine we'd be putting it up on jacks and swinging the gear. It
could be something simple like a sticking switch or an indicator of
bigger things to come.

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html
Old December 17th 04, 03:21 PM
Robert Borucki

No doubt about that.... this set of wheels won't be cycled in the air
without a ground check!!!!!!

Old December 17th 04, 07:08 PM
Kyler Laird

"Robert Borucki" writes:

I was flying around in a '64 Aztec yesterday, and did some touch and goes,
and on one downwind, dropped the gear, and did not get a right main gear
down indicator light. I tried switching lightbulbs, etc. I had full
hydraulics, as the flaps worked fine. I tried cycling the gear a few times,
then tried pumping manually. I then flew around fairly slow in the practice
area and did a few turns, and then the gear light popped on. Just prior to
that, did a few flyby's at the airport, and the observer said it looked like
the gear was down. Anyways, with three green, I went in and landed
uneventfully.

This is/was common with my Aztec. For awhile, I was landing with one of the
main lights off because two mechanics worked on it and argued that everything
was fine and I just needed to ignore it. (That didn't sit well. I eventually
found yet a couple more mechanics to work on it.)

Even now, I have problems getting the white light when I initially stow the
gear.

*Years* after I bought the plane and had it restored, I was told that the
gear was installed incorrectly. It had been checked and rechecked and
repaired during that time by several mechanics. How such a glaring error
could be missed by so many people astounds me. (It's not the only such error
that went undetected for so long though.)

Anyway...in my experience, Aztec landing gear is rugged and reliable but the
indicators are problematic. I recommend finding a mechanic who can *solve*
the problem (not just beat it into submission). Gear indication problems can
be annoying at critical times. They're worth fixing.

Good luck.

--kyler