Cadillac commercial accident?

Old October 14th 11, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
danlj

Default Cadillac commercial accident?

On Oct 13, 10:01*pm, Ramy wrote:
On Oct 13, 7:50*pm, GARY BOGGS wrote:

http://www.kirotv.com/news/29479391/detail.html

Boggs

As usual the media does not understand the difference between gliders
and hang gliders. Other articles mention glider, and since it mentions
an airport takeoff it is more likely a glider....

Ramy

Looks like a glider - http://media.komonews.com/images/111...ider_crash.jpg
Old October 14th 11, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
brianDG303[_2_]

On Oct 14, 7:31*am, GARY BOGGS wrote:
Noel, I heard Lynn was also a member of the Evergreen Soaring Club?
Did you know him? *How much ground launch experience did Lynn have?
Do you know who else was involved in shooting this ad? *How many
glider hours did Lynn have? *Can you add anything about his
background? *The picture in the news articles appears to show the
glider with police tape around it, but it does not look very damaged.
It's hard to imaging that that glider was involved in a fatal
accident, if indeed that is a picture of the accident site.

Boggs

Gary,
Lynn was a member of Evergreen Soaring. He had a lot of hours and was
a very experienced, active CFIG and was considered to be a very safe
pilot. He was a good guy.

The other questions you are asking we don't have answers to because
this happened at 4 pm yesterday, and in any case it is under
investigation by at least two federal agencies.
Unfortunately we have seen this play out before, and there is a
natural tendency to react, probably some adrenaline as well, and that
leads to a lot of emails, posts, and phone calls. I am already
starting to feel like a clearing house for information that I don't
even want. I personally think it is best to just wait and reflect on
all the issues that this brings up, whatever those happen to be for
each person. In a week or two we will know most of what everyone
knows, and then we wait for the NTSB report. If you can, I encourage
you to wait for accurate information.

Please fly safe,

Brian Hood, President
Evergreen Soaring
Old October 14th 11, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

I echo Brian's statements, but let me try to answer your questions
again (and put this to rest for now):

On Oct 14, 7:31*am, GARY BOGGS wrote:

How much ground launch experience did Lynn have?

The man who knows the facts about that is dead. And none of us are
privy to his logbook. We have no clue what happened in the moments
leading up to and including the crash, so we have no idea if his hours
or experience mattered. We have no idea if this was even a "ground
launch". You are making assumptions in the absence of facts.

Do you know who else was involved in shooting this ad? *

What does it matter? Knowing that does not help us in any way, unless
you are looking for someone to scapegoat. But we don't even know what
happened. So placing blame is not only pointless, it is dangerous.
We don't even know if they were actually shooting the ad at the time
of the crash. You are making assumptions in the absence of facts.

How many glider hours did Lynn have? *

The man who knows the facts about that is dead. And none of us are
privy to his logbook. We have no clue what happened in the moments
leading up to and including the crash, so we have no idea if his hours
or experience mattered.

As hard as it may be, please just wait. Let the investigators do their
job, and let the facts come out. In this day and age those facts will
be rapidly reported and repeated once they are known. Until then,
trying to make any kind of commentary on the accident or take
"corrective action" is reckless and irresponsible.

--Noel

Old October 14th 11, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Boggs

On Oct 1 *If you can, I encourage
you to wait for accurate information.

OK, I have accurate info now. They were attempting to get a shot of
the Escalade launching the DG-1000. They were using a 200' rope.
Lynn pulled up very sharply, the rope broke, and there was
insufficient altitude for the glider to recover. The glider nosed in,
destroying the cockpit. EMTs were on site, but were unable to revive
Lynn. No one on scene had very much ground launch experience. I sure
wish I had been there... I am so upset that this happened in my own
back yard. If I had only known this was happening up there, I would
have come up. Hind sight is always so painful. I feel for all of you
that were involved. Talking to someone that was there, it was not a
hap hazard operation and they were thinking about safety very much.
They just did not have anybody with enough ground launch time present.
Thankfully he was alone in the cockpit.

I am so sorry for everyone involved in this accident. Feel free to
call or email me anytime.

503-708-8869

Gary Boggs
Old October 14th 11, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

On Oct 14, 9:13*am, GARY BOGGS wrote:
On Oct 1 *If you can, I encourage

you to wait for accurate information.

OK, I have accurate info now.

GARY - NO YOU DO NOT. You are still operating on second-hand
information. You are still making assumptions (or the person you
spoke to was). You were not there. And neither you nor the person
you heard this from was in the cockpit with Lynn.

This is a global newsgroup. GLOBAL. It can be read and searched by
anyone. When you propose second-hand information as factual (as you
have just done), you create considerable potential for further
damage. Journalists can read this. Potential litigants (lawsuit-
filers) can read this. Anti-General-Aviation groups can read this.
All it takes is one little Google search.

What you are doing helps no one and can lead to a lot of potential
harm. Please stop spreading information that you cannot guarantee is
factual.

--Noel

Old October 14th 11, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bart[_4_]

On Oct 14, 9:13*am, GARY BOGGS wrote:
OK, I have accurate info now. They were attempting to get a shot of
the Escalade launching the DG-1000. *They were using a 200' rope.

200'? Or 2000' ?

Bart
Old October 14th 11, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Oct 14, 10:07*am, Bart wrote:
On Oct 14, 9:13*am, GARY BOGGS wrote:

OK, I have accurate info now. They were attempting to get a shot of
the Escalade launching the DG-1000. *They were using a 200' rope.

200'? Or 2000' ?

Bart

considering the length of the airfield, probably not 2000'

http://www.airnav.com/airport/S93

Brad
Old October 14th 11, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Boggs

two hundred foot rope.... Like I said, I wish they had called me in
to help.... I have more ground launch experience than anybody else in
this neck of the woods, but then it's easy to say that now. I had no
idea this was going on or I would have dropped everything and drove up
there. If you don't know what you are doing, call in someone that
does.

Boggs
Old October 14th 11, 06:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Boggs

I don't like the sound of my last post. I am not trying to make
anybody that was involved feel any worse than they already do. I
really just want us all to learn from this.

DO NOT TRY TO TEACH YOURSELF HOW TO DO THINGS IN THIS SPORT! GET
HELP.

Those involved had no idea what was about to happen because they did
not have the training or experience to know. They thought they were
being careful. They really did. They are all good people, smart
people, careful people. They didn't know what they didn't know.

Boggs
Old October 14th 11, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Oct 13, 10:05*pm, " wrote:

If you want to wreck an aircraft, get out some cameras....

Off topic, but:

I knew a pilot whose last words actually were "watch this."

Bob K.