CG hook on aero tows??

Old January 13th 04, 12:04 AM
Chris Rowland

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 11:42:08 -0500, Tony Verhulst
wrote:

In the flat lands,
if the tug wings are on or above the horizon, you're too high, IMHO.

What we teach in the UK is to keep the tug in the correct position on
the canopy, not a position on the horizon.

The position of the horizon changes depending on the terrain, the
position of the tug on the canopy doesn't seem to.

On the original subject I can add some experience.

Some years ago (mid 70s) I had a flight in a Ka6E on aerotow and got
slightly too high just after take off. I was surprised and alarmed to
discover I needed to put the stick on the front stop to start the
glider descending - slowly. A little higher or a bit of bad luck and
I could have joined the tug upset statistics.

This was with a CofG hook.
The tug was not powerful - an Auster.
It was one of my first flights on type.
I was a reasonably experienced pilot - 400-500 hours, Gold C,
Instructor, current on Aerotow.
Fine weather, light wind.

I still remember - nearly 30 years later - the feeling of helplessness
as I sat with the stick on the front stop, waiting for something to
happen - and yes, I was just about to release when it started going
down.

I'm not fanatic about this and I would launch on the CofG hook if
there was no alternative - or a good reason but if I was in charge of
a club that did aerotow all the club gliders would have nose hooks and
use them.

Chris Rowland