Used European Sailplane For U.S. Delivery?

Old October 24th 06, 09:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_6_]

Default Used European Sailplane For U.S. Delivery?

I've read archived RAS threads; Terry Joint used to arrange Euro purchases
for U.S. delivery back in 2002. His e-mail is broken now. The USD keeps
declining & registration & shipping costs both in $$ & time might make this
route undesirable.Yet?

I'm looking for a first glass ship with an XL sized cockpit. (To illustrate:
Front of the DG-500 is fine, An LS-4a is barely large enough, the Jantar 48
Std 2 too tight).
Low time flyer, noncompetition use, so prefer a sweet handling, easy landing
sailplane. Rather not spend over $30K USD, & it must have a trailer. I'd
look at projects if we can clearly estimate repair cost/time.
Best Regards,
Jim Hultman

Old October 24th 06, 11:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Thomas

The Terry Joint brokerage operation seem to have disappeared
some time ago

Try Ingemar at www.cirrusflyg.com .Also advertises
on last page of wings and wheels want adds.

he advertises rather than buys and sells but is definitly
involved in export/import, i bought a glider through
him last year (Sweden to UK)

also www.zimmermann-syscon.de/eng/default.htm, another
advertising agent, never talked to them

they have an open cirrus listed for example scored
by owner 9/10 for glider and trailer, schhwabellack
gell so fair chance original gel ok, certainly fits
long pilots, not shure about widt or max weight, which
might suit you spec and budget after you have allowed
for shipping

in principle you cannot get an export C of A for a
broken glider so unless its just refinishing, projects
may not be viable, and even then you would realy want
a good look at it yourself.

Pete

Old October 26th 06, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
gfoster07k

Jim wrote:

I'm looking for a first glass ship with an XL sized cockpit. (To illustrate:
Front of the DG-500 is fine, An LS-4a is barely large enough, the Jantar 48
Std 2 too tight).
Low time flyer, noncompetition use, so prefer a sweet handling, easy landing
sailplane. Rather not spend over $30K USD, & it must have a trailer. I'd
look at projects if we can clearly estimate repair cost/time.
Best Regards,
Jim Hultman

Have you considered the Kestral 19 on Wings and Wheels. Huge cockpit
for up to 6 feet 4 inches. It is in Southern California if it still
for sale.

Greg Foster

Old October 29th 06, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim[_6_]

Yes! I'm going to look at the Kestrel this week.
BTW, I've learned that the past owner died in a power-plane accident at
Santa Ynez, which happens to be where I'd base the sailplane.
Thanks,
Jim

"gfoster07k" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old October 31st 06, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Greef

Jim wrote:
Yes! I'm going to look at the Kestrel this week.
BTW, I've learned that the past owner died in a power-plane accident at
Santa Ynez, which happens to be where I'd base the sailplane.
Thanks,
Jim

It also happens to be one of the best "bank for bucks" gliders around -
depending on what you pay for it of course.

In my opinion it is one of the best - just not competitive in any specific class
anymore. The Nimbus II came along and the rest is history in the span race.
Local example gets an honest 1:44 - flies sweetly, needs minimal maintenance.
The wings are heavy, and long. Expect the trailer to be the same. Not a glider
to rig each day, unless you have good ground kit, and a strong back. On the
ground she is a bit of a lump, but the rewards in the air are worth it...

sailplane delivery fox victor Soaring 0 September 8th 05 01:58 AM
Sailplane Delivery WDM Soaring 0 August 24th 05 01:22 AM
Need critics - new European general aviation website Yuri Vorontsov Owning 0 October 28th 03 10:29 PM
European Delivery Steve B Soaring 2 September 16th 03 05:01 AM