Record-setting young pilot dies at 26

Old March 18th 08, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Default Record-setting young pilot dies at 26

Story on Yahoo:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080318/...obit_van_meter

I'm aware of three people I've known in my life that attempted suicide, and
sadly one was successful. None of them were attempting to escape physical
pain or fiscal trauma. Sometimes the worst enemy a person has is inside
their mind. :-(
Old March 18th 08, 09:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt W. Barrow

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
.. .
Story on Yahoo:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080318/...obit_van_meter

I'm aware of three people I've known in my life that attempted suicide,
and
sadly one was successful. None of them were attempting to escape physical
pain or fiscal trauma. Sometimes the worst enemy a person has is inside
their mind. :-(

Quite so - the so called "demons" that haunt them.

So sad; they give up so soon they never fulfill their promise.

Old March 18th 08, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 20:13:18 -0000, Jim Logajan
wrote:

Story on Yahoo:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080318/...obit_van_meter

Van Meter made national headlines in 1993 and 1994 when she made
her cross-country and trans-Atlantic flights accompanied only by a
flight instructor. Her instructors said she was at the controls
during the entirety of both flights.

As a sixth-grader in September 1993, Van Meter flew from Augusta,
Maine, to San Diego over five days. She had to fight strong
headwinds and turbulence that bounced her single-engine Cessna 172
and made her sick.

At the time, she was believed to be the youngest girl to fly
across the United States; the record was later broken.

Nine months later, Van Meter flew from Augusta to Glasgow,
Scotland, and was credited with being the youngest girl to make a
trans-Atlantic flight. She battled dizziness brought on by high
altitude and declared upon landing: "I always thought it would be
real hard and it was."

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...pagewanted=all
Vicki, who is 12, will be at the controls of a single-engine
plane. No girl so young has ever piloted a plane across the
Atlantic. Her instructor will be next to her in the cockpit, for
regulations prohibit a pilot under 16 from flying solo. But Vicki
plans to handle every aspect of the flight -- navigation,
communications, fuel calculations, takeoffs, landings and long
hours in the air at about 7,000 feet above the ocean -- by
herself. ...

One day in the fall of 1992, she and her father, Jim, a
stockbroker, drove in the family van to the local airport to see
the new terminal. Mr. Van Meter, who owned a small plane years ago
and sold it to put his wife, Corinne, through college, spotted an
advertisement for a new flight school. He suggested to Vicki that,
since she wanted to be an astronaut, she might want to take a
flying lesson to see if she liked being in the air. ...

Her plane for the trans-Atlantic flight will be a Cessna 210,
which seats six and travels at about 180 miles an hour. The plane
has retractable landing gear, a first for Vicki. ...

The Van Meters will follow their daughter across the Atlantic in a
twin-engine plane chartered by the British Broadcasting
Corporation, which is making a documentary of Vicki's flight. She
already has television experience as a result of her cross-country
flight. Vicki's parents need no prompting to show videotapes of
her on the talk-show circuit, chatting and joking easily with
Bryant Gumbel, Chevy Chase, Maury Povich, Conan O'Brien, John and
Leeza.

The family is also eager to show a visitor framed photographs of
Vicki with the many celebrities she has met, including Vice
President Al Gore, who gave Vicki's entire class a tour of the
White House.

"We're just regular people, and we never expected any of this,"
Mr. Van Meter says.

Vicki herself says all the attention has been "sort of exciting,
really neat." She adds: "I'm doing this for the challenge, not for
the publicity. When I started flying, I never even thought I would
ever go up to Erie, 30 miles north of us."

Vicki has logged more than 100 hours in the air, plus 60 hours in
ground school. The Van Meters have spent more than $10,000 on her
flying lessons, with money they had put away for her college
education. Vicki's father says he hopes the investment pays off
with her appointment to the Naval Academy, which has already sent
her sweatshirts and T-shirts.

Amy Johnson, in 1930 became the first woman to fly solo from Britain
to Australia, was 26 with about as many hours as Van Meters:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Johnson

Personally, I see these children piloting stunts as pure Barnum &
Bailey. Look at what happened to Jessica (the child pilot) Dubroff:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...romoid=googlep
JESSICA DUBROFF'S LAST FLIGHT In the beginning it may have been
the father's idea for Jessica Dubroff to make the cross-country
trip at the age of seven [NATION, April 22], but she loved to fly.
Whether she made the flight for the world record or simply for the
love of flying, the choice was ultimately left up to her.

Your scathing article "fly till i die" was right on the money.
What a heroic indictment of child exploitation. Young Jessica had
absolutely no freedom of choice regarding her right to life,
liberty or the pursuit of a normal education. Most of her
teachings came from her self-appointed guru mom Lisa Hathaway,
who, in a supposed quest to give her daughter freedom, imbued
Jessica with Hathaway's own airhead philosophy. No wonder the kid
wanted to fly! It makes no sense for Hathaway to call a nose dive
to the ground a "state of joy."

The pint-size bicycle with training wheels, pictured in the
forefront of your photograph of Jessica checking "her" plane,
speaks volumes.

Old March 18th 08, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder[_2_]

wrote:

Story on Yahoo:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080318/...obit_van_meter

Van Meter made national headlines..

Thanks Larry because none of us have internet access.
Old March 19th 08, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
.. .
Story on Yahoo:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080318/...obit_van_meter

I'm aware of three people I've known in my life that attempted suicide,
and
sadly one was successful. None of them were attempting to escape physical
pain or fiscal trauma. Sometimes the worst enemy a person has is inside
their mind. :-(

Very sad, you wonder if her record setting early life led to an unfulfilling
adult life, the downer after the high.

Old March 19th 08, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Darkwing" theducksmail"AT wrote:
"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
.. .
Story on Yahoo:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080318/...obit_van_meter

Very sad, you wonder if her record setting early life led to an unfulfilling
adult life, the downer after the high.

I sometimes wonder in situations like this if they were driven when they were
young to do record breaking things and the pressure lead to the depression.
However I suspect the real answer has to do with the chemistry of the brain and
that pressures and achievement probably didn't have that much to do with it.
It'd be instructive to look back through her family's history to see if
depression runs through their line.

That being said, I fully expect that her record breaking flights had more to do
with Momma and Papa's ambitions and dreams than anything she really wanted to
do. Just conjecture on my part....

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old March 19th 08, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in message

However I suspect the real answer has to do with the chemistry of the

brain and
that pressures and achievement probably didn't have that much to do with

it.

My completely uneducated, wild guess is that the above mentioned achievement
is a result of that same chemistry.

Old March 20th 08, 02:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

That being said, I fully expect that her record breaking flights had more to do
with Momma and Papa's ambitions and dreams than anything she really wanted to
do. Just conjecture on my part....

I'm fairly certain you're right. Behind these "young pilot flights"
there are usually adult people with an agenda. The flights are "hyped"
as the child making all the decisions where in actuality the CFI with
them is legally and in all other respects piolt in command of the aircraft.
Anyone believing for a nano-second that some CFI is going to just sit
there and allow a child to make a life and death decision concerning
fuel vs winds vs routing for an over the ocean flight in a single engine
plane where that CFI is going to be a "passenger" without correcting any
"mistakes" made by that child needs to look at ocean front property in
Death Valley.

The very premise for these "kiddie flights" is filled with potential for
mental problems later on down the line. The child reads the hype, is
privy to the publicity and hoopla, and as a child, at the time, I'm
fairly certain it all goes down easily. But later on, as the now older
adult realizes that all that transpired was NOT done by them at all but
totally under the direct supervision of other people, I see a tremendous
potential for depression related issues setting in.
It's a shame these children are used in this way.
Just my totally unqualified 2 cents as an amatuer Psychologist.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old March 20th 08, 11:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Dudley Henriques wrote:
Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:

That being said, I fully expect that her record breaking flights had
more to do with Momma and Papa's ambitions and dreams than anything
she really wanted to do. Just conjecture on my part....

I'm fairly certain you're right. Behind these "young pilot flights"
there are usually adult people with an agenda.

No different than can be seen at any youth league hockey rink, baseball
field, soccer game, quarter midget race, film audition... There are
always a few parents living through the kids.
Old March 20th 08, 11:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_10_]

On Mar 20, 7:36 am, B A R R Y wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote:

I'm fairly certain you're right. Behind these "young pilot flights"
there are usually adult people with an agenda.

No different than can be seen at any youth league hockey rink, baseball
field, soccer game, quarter midget race, film audition... There are
always a few parents living through the kids.

True, though few of those kill themselves.

There were other factors at work and I can't pretend to guess the
motivations in this case.

A sad fact is that the group most at risk is the least likely to get
media exposure -- white, middle-aged males: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/19/us/19suicide.html

Dan Mc