Are we crazy, or just stupid?

Old February 9th 07, 01:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Are we crazy, or just stupid?

On Feb 8, 5:54 pm, wrote:
On Feb 8, 8:15 am, wrote:

reason. There is none except that death waits for us all. We look for
something or someone to blame. Aviation is easy to blame, but
aviation is not death. Aviation has brought life to many, both
figuratively and literally.
--
Gene Seibel
Gene & Sue's Flying Machine -http://pad39a.com/gene/

Gene,

I was working for an Idaho based avionics company in 2002 when a
tragedy occured. Three employees of the company, including my
immediate boss who was one of the three partners that had started it,
were in a landing accident in a Lancair. Two of them were killed
including the one who was PIC. My boss managed to survive with a
severe leg fracture that required surgery and had a risk of amputation
if it didn't succeed.

Immediately after the accident, I warned his wife that she should make
sure that he didn't wallow in survivors guilt since he had lived and
the others had not.

Two weeks after the accident, his partners and the head of the company
that had bought them out, called him in for a management meeting since
he had been at home recuperating. They demanded that he resign, which
he did under the pressure and the fact that he was a mess still from
the accident. Seems that they had blamed him for the accident even
though he wasn't flying the plane. You are right about people wanting
to blame someone for an aviation accident. I have seen it happen
first hand, and know that the guy they blamed was not responsible for
it happening...

I left that company about 9 months later, which was the first
opportunity I found to switch jobs. It was an awful place to work,
and was no where near the professional, supportive environment I had
known at Boeing.

Dean

Can you name the company? I don't want to buy their stuff.- Hide quoted text -

You can read about it he
http://www.aero-news.net/news/genav.cfm?
ContentBlockID=39832E54-95F9-4CEC-A8E8-099E0450E72D&Dynamic=1

Old February 9th 07, 02:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
LWG

And the other strange coincidence was that a few years before that, my ex
and I attended a party he and his wife gave at their nearby home. I
remember it clearly. He showed us his garage where he was restoring a BMW
car/motorcycle that had the one door in the front, sort of like a carnival
ride with a windshield. He was a very nice guy, and his wife was a nice
gal.

By the time she collected his death benefits from the city, and other
private insurance, she was a very wealthy woman.

I jokingly told my ex that I didn't buy life insurance because when I died,
I wanted it to be a sad day for everyone.

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
I often think about this when making a decision to go flying. I don't
believe in pushing it, but when your number's up...

Great story.

Old February 9th 07, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Don Tuite

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 21:22:49 -0500, "LWG"
wrote:

And the other strange coincidence was that a few years before that, my ex
and I attended a party he and his wife gave at their nearby home. I
remember it clearly. He showed us his garage where he was restoring a BMW
car/motorcycle that had the one door in the front, sort of like a carnival
ride with a windshield. He was a very nice guy, and his wife was a nice
gal.

BMW Isetta: http://www.microcarmuseum.com/tour/bmwisetta250.html

With the only means of egress being the front door, it was something
of a suicide machine.

For aviation content, the Isetta was more or less contemporary with
this:
http://www.microcarmuseum.com/tour/m...00-1955-9.html

Don
Old February 9th 07, 04:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack

("Don Tuite" wrote)
BMW Isetta: http://www.microcarmuseum.com/tour/bmwisetta250.html

With the only means of egress being the front door, it was something
of a suicide machine.

For aviation content, the Isetta was more or less contemporary with
this:
http://www.microcarmuseum.com/tour/m...00-1955-9.html

More ...(NAC) Necessary Aviation Content:
http://www.microcarmuseum.com/tour/a...-tourisme.html
1956 Avolette Tourisme (de Luxe)
"In the Mid-50's Egon Brutsch sold the license for building his
three-wheeled vehicles to the Cessna aircraft distributor for France, named
Societe Air-Tourist. Not satisfied with merely reproducing the open
three-wheeler, they designed their own vehicle with a tubular body frame.
Construction took place in an aircraft hangar near the Paris airport. The
Paris Salon of 1955 saw the introduction of five versions of their
egg-shaped doorless vehicles."

Montblack

Old February 9th 07, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article , "Morgans"
wrote:

But remember what happened to me last year in Cedar Rapids? I tripped
crossing a street, for pete's sake! My injury wasn't *immediately* life
threatening, but I wasn't in surgery a few hours later for kicks and
giggles.

Enjoy life. Manage your risks, but enjoy life.

I agree.

Refresh our memories. What happened after the trip?

(I've been TDY)

Short version: I had surgery to repair a hole in my diaphram.
They used a 6cm x 8cm Gortech patch.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old February 9th 07, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Refresh our memories. What happened after the trip?

(I've been TDY)

Short version: I had surgery to repair a hole in my diaphram.
They used a 6cm x 8cm Gortech patch.

Slightly longer version -- he tore the hole by slipping and falling
onto a curb (?), right?

This from a guy who doesn't drink...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 10th 07, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans

"Bob Noel" wrote

Short version: I had surgery to repair a hole in my diaphram.
They used a 6cm x 8cm Gortech patch.

Ouch!
--
Jim in NC
Old February 10th 07, 03:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article . com,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Short version: I had surgery to repair a hole in my diaphram.
They used a 6cm x 8cm Gortech patch.

Slightly longer version -- he tore the hole by slipping and falling
onto a curb (?), right?

nope. The surgery report shows that I did not have an acute
rupture, but rather it was a pre-existing condition aggravated
by the fall (and striking the curb) and revealed by the first chest
x-rays I can recall having.

This from a guy who doesn't drink...

The beauty of not drinking is that I can fly anytime.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old February 10th 07, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

nope. The surgery report shows that I did not have an acute
rupture, but rather it was a pre-existing condition aggravated
by the fall (and striking the curb) and revealed by the first chest
x-rays I can recall having.

Whoops -- I remember now.

This from a guy who doesn't drink...

The beauty of not drinking is that I can fly anytime.

Good point. However, since I only drink occasionally, and only at
night -- and we don't fly at night -- problem solved!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 10th 07, 01:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
: In article . com,
: "Jay Honeck" wrote:
:
: Short version: I had surgery to repair a hole in my diaphram.
: They used a 6cm x 8cm Gortech patch.
:
: Slightly longer version -- he tore the hole by slipping and falling
: onto a curb (?), right?
:
: nope. The surgery report shows that I did not have an acute
: rupture, but rather it was a pre-existing condition aggravated
: by the fall (and striking the curb) and revealed by the first chest
: x-rays I can recall having.
:
: This from a guy who doesn't drink...
:
: The beauty of not drinking is that I can fly anytime.
:
: --
: Bob Noel
: Looking for a sig the
: lawyers will hate
:

You mean, if I don't drink, I can go up right now! Wish I could, but the snow on the runway and in front of the hanger
does not want me to. I think I need a drink...

;-)