Maximum PT entry altitude Notation

Old November 23rd 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Maximum PT entry altitude Notation

Can anyone explain the reason for the note "maximum procedure turn
entry altitude 6000 feet" on the ILS or LOC RWY 20 at KALW, Walla Wala
Regl, WA? Is this a TERPs thing? Other approaches the same?

Here's the link, I think

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2.../KALWils20.gif
Old November 23rd 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roy Smith

In article ,
wrote:

Can anyone explain the reason for the note "maximum procedure turn
entry altitude 6000 feet" on the ILS or LOC RWY 20 at KALW, Walla Wala
Regl, WA? Is this a TERPs thing? Other approaches the same?

Here's the link, I think

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2.../KALWils20.gif

My guess is that if you enter the PT above 6000, you can't make it down to
the runway without exceeding some TERPS-mandated maximum descent profile.

If you flew the PT as a teardrop entry, 1 minute outbound, roughly 1 minute
to turn around, 1 minute inbound, that's 2700 feet to lose in 3 minutes, or
900 ft/minute. Pretty steep.
Old November 23rd 06, 03:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
John R. Copeland

"Roy Smith" wrote in message ...
In article ,
wrote:

Can anyone explain the reason for the note "maximum procedure turn
entry altitude 6000 feet" on the ILS or LOC RWY 20 at KALW, Walla Wala
Regl, WA? Is this a TERPs thing? Other approaches the same?

Here's the link, I think

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2.../KALWils20.gif

My guess is that if you enter the PT above 6000, you can't make it down to
the runway without exceeding some TERPS-mandated maximum descent profile.

If you flew the PT as a teardrop entry, 1 minute outbound, roughly 1 minute
to turn around, 1 minute inbound, that's 2700 feet to lose in 3 minutes, or
900 ft/minute. Pretty steep.

Yet, no similar note accompanies the NDB RWY 20 approach.

Old November 23rd 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Everett M. Greene[_2_]

Roy Smith writes:
wrote:

Can anyone explain the reason for the note "maximum procedure turn
entry altitude 6000 feet" on the ILS or LOC RWY 20 at KALW, Walla Wala
Regl, WA? Is this a TERPs thing? Other approaches the same?

Here's the link, I think

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2.../KALWils20.gif

My guess is that if you enter the PT above 6000, you can't make it down to
the runway without exceeding some TERPS-mandated maximum descent profile.

If you flew the PT as a teardrop entry, 1 minute outbound, roughly 1 minute
to turn around, 1 minute inbound, that's 2700 feet to lose in 3 minutes, or
900 ft/minute. Pretty steep.

Is there anything that says you can't make more than one
lap around the loop?

Are there enroute altitudes in the area that would lead
to being quite high when nearing the approach area?

Is there a reception problem with the navaid(s) defining
the pattern?
Old November 24th 06, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

wrote:
Can anyone explain the reason for the note "maximum procedure turn
entry altitude 6000 feet" on the ILS or LOC RWY 20 at KALW, Walla Wala
Regl, WA? Is this a TERPs thing? Other approaches the same?

Here's the link, I think

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2.../KALWils20.gif

There is no provision in TERPS for such a restriction. It appears to be
a misapplication of criteria.
Old November 26th 06, 02:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

As a follow up, looking at the low level enroute, there is no
restricted or otherwise airspace that may have affected the altitude.

Secondly, there are a few other airports in WA with similar 6000 max
altitude for the PT. RLD Richland is one, so is OLM Olympia.

In fact the RLD PT descends you to 1900 feet for a total descent of
4100 feet, so it doesn't seem to be a TERPS descent gradient
limitation for ALW.

Of note, all the 6000 foot max notations are on very recently amended
approaches, so they appear to be recent additions. I'm only guessing
it's some new TERPS criteria, possible to limit the TAS and help keep
the pilot within the 10 nm PT distance.

Roy, I've appreciated reading your responses over the years. Am I
right to think you've been contributing for 15+ years?

Dave

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 21:58:04 -0500, in rec.aviation.ifr you wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

Can anyone explain the reason for the note "maximum procedure turn
entry altitude 6000 feet" on the ILS or LOC RWY 20 at KALW, Walla Wala
Regl, WA? Is this a TERPs thing? Other approaches the same?

Here's the link, I think

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2.../KALWils20.gif

My guess is that if you enter the PT above 6000, you can't make it down to
the runway without exceeding some TERPS-mandated maximum descent profile.

If you flew the PT as a teardrop entry, 1 minute outbound, roughly 1 minute
to turn around, 1 minute inbound, that's 2700 feet to lose in 3 minutes, or
900 ft/minute. Pretty steep.

Old November 26th 06, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

limitation for ALW.

Of note, all the 6000 foot max notations are on very recently amended
approaches, so they appear to be recent additions. I'm only guessing
it's some new TERPS criteria, possible to limit the TAS and help keep
the pilot within the 10 nm PT distance.

They don't do a descent in PTs? Best I can do is 800 fpm so take 500
as a standard that lets me do 1000 feet each time I go around. It
keeps the speed normal and the distances normal.

Roger, by limit the TAS, I meant that for the same IAS, the TAS will
be higher at higher altitudes. And so easier for the pilot to exit
the PT distance