Warm spot for IFR finish-up

Old September 11th 05, 01:21 PM
Dave Reinhart

Default Warm spot for IFR finish-up

I'm looking for suggestions for a school to do an IFR finish-up course
in December or January. I live in Massachusetts and while I don't mind
flying actual IFR there's entirely too much ice in the clouds around
here that time of year. A break from the winter chill wouldn't be bad,
either.

Dave Reinhart

Old September 11th 05, 02:21 PM
Dan Luke

"Dave Reinhart" wrote:

I can recommend Bobby Mooring's Flight Training of Mobile:

http://www.flyftm.com/

http://www.bobbymooring.com/bio.html

Not as warm as S. Florida, Mobile is a good spot for IFR training in
winter because there's plenty of opportunity for work in IMC. The
weather is usually mild, with an occasional frosty morning.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old September 11th 05, 04:19 PM

Dave Reinhart wrote:
I'm looking for suggestions for a school to do an IFR finish-up course
in December or January. I live in Massachusetts and while I don't mind
flying actual IFR there's entirely too much ice in the clouds around
here that time of year. A break from the winter chill wouldn't be bad,
either.

I live in Boston and trained locally, out of Hanscom. January isn't the
worst time of year as the temps at altitude are often well below
freezing. Flying in actual conditions regularly from November to April
we picked up trace rime on one occasion, and canceled one flight.
Conditions did dictate where we went, as conditions often varied quite
widely from Worcester to Manchester to New Bedford.

The most critical element in this is getting an experienced CFII. I can
recommend a couple in the Boston area if you want. From what I've seen,
an awfully large number of instructors will not go up with students in
anything worse than marginal VFR/IFR conditions and less than one in
five will do it when you have anything near LIFR. If you just want the
rating in order to have it, that's fine I suppose.

-cwk.

Old September 11th 05, 04:20 PM
Longworth

Dave,
I highly recommend Bill Zalkesi at Schenectady 518-388-8563

www.instrumentratings.com

My husband and I took his accelerated IFR training course last May.
Rick had about 15 or so hrs of dual IFR and I only had 5hrs or so from
the primary training. We both passed our written exams and had quite a
few hours practicing with each other as safety piots & Elite sims time
before signing up with Bill. After 5 days, Bill convinced us to take
the checkrides which we passed 2 days later. Bill is a very
experienced instructor & an enthusiastic aviator. He will try to get
his students to pass the checkride and at the same time try to teach
all the tips and techniques to ensure that his students will be
competent instrument pilots.
Since our checkrides Memorial weekend, we had flown over 50hrs
covering two long cross-country trips (2000nm and 3200nm RT) with at
least 10hrs in IMC. We only spent one short week with Bill but felt
that he had imparted so much instrument flying knowledge and wisdom to
absorb for many more months and years of safe instrument flying.

Hai Longworth

Old September 12th 05, 12:04 PM
Dahlin

I agree with Hai and highly recommend Bill. He's not crazy ( well maybe a
little ) but is not afraid of training in actual weather. If you live up
here in the northeast I think it would be a great benefit to train here, in
possible ice, to get the experience with someone who can really build your
confidence in dealing with weather. Don Dahlin

oups.com...

Old September 12th 05, 01:02 PM
buddys70-news

based on personal experience - i would recommend "american flyers", either
in ft lauderdale or orlando. i did mine at ft lauderdale 2 years ago. i
work full time and flew every other day with them. if a weekday, 3 hours.
if a weekend, all day.

when my requirements were satisfied, i did the checkride, and passed with
flying colors.

Old September 12th 05, 06:12 PM
Longworth

cwk,

I agree that it the training condition does not matter if one just
want the rating. In considerating various IFR training options, we
decided to get the training in our own plane, a basically-equipped
C177B in our Northeast backyard so that we could utilize the rating
right away.

I also agree that the most critical element is to get an experienced
CFII who is willing to take the student up in real IMC. We
inadvertently encountered freezing while flying VFR locally earlier
this year. It was a very valuable experience. Living in the Northeast,
unless one stops flying from mid October to mid April, one has to
prepare to deal with unexpected weather. We are very safety conscious
but also want to fly year around and will try to get as much local
training as possible.

Hai Longworth

Old September 12th 05, 09:06 PM

Dave Reinhart wrote:

I'm looking for suggestions for a school to do an IFR finish-up course
in December or January. I live in Massachusetts and while I don't mind
flying actual IFR there's entirely too much ice in the clouds around
here that time of year. A break from the winter chill wouldn't be bad,
either.

Dave Reinhart

Dear Valley Airport on the north side of PHX.

Or, perhaps one of the Los Angeles basin area schools where you will
keep reasonably warm yet perhaps have the opportunity for some ice-free
actual.
Old September 13th 05, 01:47 AM
John R. Copeland

wrote in message =
ink.net...
Dave Reinhart wrote:
=20
I'm looking for suggestions for a school to do an IFR finish-up =

course=20
in December or January. I live in Massachusetts and while I don't =

mind=20
flying actual IFR there's entirely too much ice in the clouds around=20
here that time of year. A break from the winter chill wouldn't be =

bad,=20
either.
=20
Dave Reinhart

=20
Dear Valley Airport on the north side of PHX.
=20

Heh, heh. Pun intended?

Old September 17th 05, 01:37 PM
L. R. Du Broff

Dave Reinhart wrote in news:mjVUe.18293$Zv6.14739
@trndny03:

I'm looking for suggestions for a school to do an IFR finish-up course
in December or January. I live in Massachusetts and while I don't mind
flying actual IFR there's entirely too much ice in the clouds around
here that time of year. A break from the winter chill wouldn't be bad,
either.

Dave Reinhart

Numerous schools here in the Orlando area, which is also a great vacation
destination if you're bringing family with you.

If you would like intensive one-on-one with an individual instructor
without the overhead of a school, I might be available to work with you.
Email me at [LRD at Lee-Reid dot com] -- convert that to the usual format
-- if you're interested.

SSA to Address Debate Over Finish Procedure? SoarPoint Soaring 1 September 16th 05 03:42 PM
Finish Gate Accident no. 2 [email protected] Soaring 50 April 2nd 05 06:58 AM
Seniors Contest Bob Fidler Soaring 68 March 17th 05 03:50 AM
Why does the Sporting code require "Goal" to be a finish point??? Mark Zivley Soaring 31 October 18th 04 10:31 PM
Carbon Fiber - Achieving Glossy Finish w/o GelCoat RKT Home Built 7 March 8th 04 06:15 AM