Spit/Hurri ground collision

Old May 1st 08, 09:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dingo[_4_]

Default Spit/Hurri ground collision

This just came my way from a Canadian contact. "Sunday", I believe, refers
to last Sunday, the 27th April.
~~
Dingo

There was a low-speed ground collision between a Spitfire and a Hawker
Hurricane at the Lone Star Flight Museum's air show today (Sunday).

According to Tom Gregory, a member of the museum and pilot of several museum
airplanes, a group had just finished a WWII fighter demonstration of
multiple aircraft: Gregory in the P-47, Ron Fagen's P-38, the museum's F6F,
Howard Pardue's Bearcat, Bill Greenwood's Spitfire and the museum's
Hurricane when the mishap occurred.

Gregory says everything had gone exactly as briefed including the recovery
of the Spitfire and Hurricane, which were the last two to land in calm wind.
From the initial review, the Hurricane was at taxi speed when the brakes

failed causing a slow ground loop to the left resulting in the Spitfire
impacting the tail and left wing. The Spitfire ended up on its nose.

Although the Hurricane had recently finished a 16-year restoration, Gregory
says it had been flawless with no mechanical issues whatsoever. Ray
Middleton who was responsible for the majority of the restoration was on
site and was instrumental in recovering both aircraft without causing
additional damage.

"Even though we brief, execute the brief flawlessly, and do everything we
can, there are still inherent risks and hazards, but thankfully no one was
hurt," said Gregory. The Hurricane will be restored to flying status as soon
as possible.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spit_Hurricane_crash_Galverston.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	25255
Old May 1st 08, 11:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Alan Erskine[_3_]

"Dingo" ? wrote in message

This just came my way from a Canadian contact. "Sunday", I believe, refers
to last Sunday, the 27th April.

There are those who like the Spitfire and those who like the Hurrican, but I
didn't know the aircraft took it so personally!

Old May 3rd 08, 07:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Billy[_4_]

At last proof the Hurricane is tougher than the Spitfire LOL.
===================================
"Dingo" ? wrote in message

[...]

From the initial review, the Hurricane was at taxi speed when the brakes

Old May 3rd 08, 08:13 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
®i©ardo

"Dingo" ? wrote in message
[...]

From the initial review, the Hurricane was at taxi speed when the brakes

failed causing a slow ground loop to the left resulting in the Spitfire
impacting the tail and left wing. The Spitfire ended up on its nose.

Although the Hurricane had recently finished a 16-year restoration,
Gregory
says it had been flawless with no mechanical issues whatsoever. Ray
Middleton who was responsible for the majority of the restoration was on
site and was instrumental in recovering both aircraft without causing
additional damage.

"Even though we brief, execute the brief flawlessly, and do everything we
can, there are still inherent risks and hazards, but thankfully no one was
hurt," said Gregory. The Hurricane will be restored to flying status as
soon
as possible.

Can you imagine spending sixteen long and arduous years rebuilding that
Hurricane to flying status and then, in a few seconds, it is back to the
drawing board.

My sympathies to all involved with the project.

--
Moving things in still pictures!
Old May 3rd 08, 08:17 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Billy wrote:

At last proof the Hurricane is tougher than the Spitfire LOL.

Tougher? Maybe. More readily repairable? Absolutely!

Old May 3rd 08, 08:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave Whiley

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
m...
Billy wrote:

At last proof the Hurricane is tougher than the Spitfire LOL.

Tougher? Maybe. More readily repairable? Absolutely!

Yes, one of the things I've heard several times from people who were around
at the time was that fixing a bullet hole pretty much anywhere on a Spitfire
involved beating a new panel, whereas there were plenty of places a bullet
(or even a cannon shell) could go through a Hurricane without hitting
anything vital, and sticking a couple of patches over the holes made it as
good as new.

--
Dave

not-me should be djw401 and there's no need for any wossname

Old May 4th 08, 04:46 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob Harrington

®i©ardo wrote in
:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~

There was a low-speed ground collision between a Spitfire and a
Hawker Hurricane at the Lone Star Flight Museum's air show today
(Sunday).

According to Tom Gregory, a member of the museum and pilot of
several museum
airplanes, a group had just finished a WWII fighter demonstration of
multiple aircraft: Gregory in the P-47, Ron Fagen's P-38, the
museum's F6F,
Howard Pardue's Bearcat, Bill Greenwood's Spitfire and the museum's
Hurricane when the mishap occurred.

Gregory says everything had gone exactly as briefed including the
recovery of the Spitfire and Hurricane, which were the last two to
land in calm wind.
From the initial review, the Hurricane was at taxi speed when the
brakes
[...]

I know some people who are keenly aware of the pain involved in such an
incident. Like the incredible volunteers at Boeing, I'm sure the good folks
at the Lone Star Museum are more than capable of repeating their miracle of
restoration.

Bob ^,,^

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2002-03-29_307_Recovery_07.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	25365

Spit/Hurricane Big John Piloting 0 April 30th 08 02:51 AM
Spit fox[_2_] Aviation Photos 7 April 16th 08 07:07 AM
Spit and next one.... NICE ;-)) fox Aviation Photos 1 October 17th 07 12:34 PM
Spitfire inspection - spit-grab.jpg (1/1) [17K] Netko Aviation Photos 0 July 27th 07 11:55 PM
Polish Spit _ NICE Marta Aviation Photos 5 March 13th 07 06:31 PM