Diamond Altitude by Thermal - where to?

Old July 1st 07, 05:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard

Default Diamond Altitude by Thermal - where to?

I am going to try and get mine in Kansas. Where my
club use to fly is about 1270 feet ASL. I figure if
I go back there with my van, rope, and a crew, auto
tow (so I don't have to bring along a towplane), make
a high speed pass at below 200 feet, then get up and
fly 200 miles to the West, where we can have cloudbase
at or above 18,000, it will be a piece of cake! :-)

The 18K cloud bases don't happen very often, though.
So for now, it is just a thought.

As Bob W. suggested, find a site that has a wave window
and go when the thermals go high enough. Or do as
Serg did a few years back, and go down into Death Valley,
then back up into the mountains. I think he got the
requirements for all three Diamonds on one flight,
without going over 18,000. And worked like heck to
do it, too.

In the mean time, I sit and look out at the low overcast,
and wonder when the rain will stop. :-(

Steve Leonard
Wichita, KS