How do you submit a NOTAM?

Old August 31st 07, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default How do you submit a NOTAM?

Hello,

New to aviation and I would like to know how to submit a NOTAM. I plan
to launch an unmanned free balloon a few months from now with a
payload of scientific instruments weighing less than 4lbs. The
projected flight-path will take the balloon only through CLASS G and A
airspace (and maybe Class E). According the FAA, an unmanned free-
balloon with a payload less than 4 lbs does not require prior
notification before launch. However, I think it would be prudent to
submit a NOTAM.

I would love to hear anyone's experience on on unmanned free-balloons
- should I really not worry about the NOTAM? Either way, I would like
to know more about submitting them.

Thanks,
John

Old August 31st 07, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
El Maximo

"John Godwin" wrote in message

I was Chief Engineer at a radio station many years ago. Whenever our
transmitter tower lights went OTS, I called the nearest Flight
Service Station and explained the situation. A NOTAM was issued.

I once called Flight Service because there was no NOTAM for a 1000' unlit
tower. They told me that there was nothing they could do because it wasn't
my tower.

That would have really sucked if someone had hit it.

Old August 31st 07, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message
ups.com...

New to aviation and I would like to know how to submit a NOTAM. I plan
to launch an unmanned free balloon a few months from now with a
payload of scientific instruments weighing less than 4lbs. The
projected flight-path will take the balloon only through CLASS G and A
airspace (and maybe Class E). According the FAA, an unmanned free-
balloon with a payload less than 4 lbs does not require prior
notification before launch. However, I think it would be prudent to
submit a NOTAM.

MAYBE Class E? Where do you intend to launch this balloon so that it will
definitely pass through Class G and Class A airspace but perhaps not Class
E?

Old August 31st 07, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Aug 31, 1:15 pm, wrote:
Hello,

New to aviation and I would like to know how to submit a NOTAM. I plan
to launch an unmanned free balloon a few months from now with a
payload of scientific instruments weighing less than 4lbs. The
projected flight-path will take the balloon only through CLASS G and A
airspace (and maybe Class E). According the FAA, an unmanned free-
balloon with a payload less than 4 lbs does not require prior
notification before launch. However, I think it would be prudent to
submit a NOTAM.

I would love to hear anyone's experience on on unmanned free-balloons
- should I really not worry about the NOTAM? Either way, I would like
to know more about submitting them.

Thanks,
John

Does it half a payload release and recovery parachute on it so you can
bring it back down on command?

Old August 31st 07, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
buttman

On Aug 31, 12:29 pm, "El Maximo" wrote:
"John Godwin" wrote in message

I was Chief Engineer at a radio station many years ago. Whenever our
transmitter tower lights went OTS, I called the nearest Flight
Service Station and explained the situation. A NOTAM was issued.

I once called Flight Service because there was no NOTAM for a 1000' unlit
tower. They told me that there was nothing they could do because it wasn't
my tower.

That would have really sucked if someone had hit it.

Back when I was a private student, the airport I planned on going to
for my night cross country was NOTAMed with the airport light beacon
out of service. When we got there we discovered the beacon was indeed
working. We had to call flight service because we forgot to close our
flight plan in the air, and we told them about the working light, so
they just put it in the system as a pirep. When we got back we checked
pireps, and there it was, our pirep saying the lights were indeed
working.

Old August 31st 07, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

New to aviation and I would like to know how to submit a NOTAM. I plan
to launch an unmanned free balloon a few months from now with a
payload of scientific instruments weighing less than 4lbs. The
projected flight-path will take the balloon only through CLASS G and A
airspace (and maybe Class E). According the FAA, an unmanned free-
balloon with a payload less than 4 lbs does not require prior
notification before launch. However, I think it would be prudent to
submit a NOTAM.

I would love to hear anyone's experience on on unmanned free-balloons
- should I really not worry about the NOTAM? Either way, I would like
to know more about submitting them.

Thanks,
John

The experts on this sort of thing are over on rec.models.rockets...

Really.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old August 31st 07, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Thanks for the quick responses.

MAYBE Class E? Where do you intend to launch this balloon so that it will
definitely pass through Class G and Class A airspace but perhaps not Class
E?

I may have it wrong, but my understanding is in the U.S. Class G is
uncontrolled airspace, and Class A is everything from 18000ft to
60000ft. Well, the balloon will definitely go through Class A in this
case. As far as Class E and G, maybe I am reading the charts all
wrong.

Looking at the Skyvector site, lets say I were to launch at 36N 87W
near Nashville. If the wind were to push the balloon east or north it
could drift into Class E space briefly. Otherwise, the balloon would
only be in Class G then A. No?

Does it half a payload release and recovery parachute on it so you can
bring it back down on command?

Yes.

-John

Old August 31st 07, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

El Maximo wrote:

I once called Flight Service because there was no NOTAM for a 1000' unlit
tower. They told me that there was nothing they could do because it wasn't
my tower.

That would have really sucked if someone had hit it.

They told you wrong. 200 feet is the threshold. We specifically built
a 199' tower to avoid having to worry about it at our station.
Old August 31st 07, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message
ups.com...

I may have it wrong, but my understanding is in the U.S. Class G is
uncontrolled airspace, and Class A is everything from 18000ft to
60000ft. Well, the balloon will definitely go through Class A in this
case. As far as Class E and G, maybe I am reading the charts all
wrong.

Looking at the Skyvector site, lets say I were to launch at 36N 87W
near Nashville. If the wind were to push the balloon east or north it
could drift into Class E space briefly. Otherwise, the balloon would
only be in Class G then A. No?

At 36N 87W, starting at the surface and working up, the airspace is Class G
to 1200 AGL, Class E to FL 180, Class A to FL 600, and Class E to where
airspace becomes just space.

Submit your aviation photos! PokerGTA.com Piloting 17 October 13th 05 03:44 PM
GPS PRN NOTAM Ali Ghorashi Instrument Flight Rules 7 February 4th 05 07:40 AM
NOTAM C J Campbell Piloting 87 October 15th 04 06:03 PM
MRB DP NOTAM [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 12 March 11th 04 05:19 PM
AF/D's and NOTAM Andrew Sarangan Instrument Flight Rules 9 January 19th 04 09:19 PM