Mayday in Utah

Old June 19th 08, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian

Default Mayday in Utah

On 19 Jun, 11:20, Jonas Eberle wrote:

Somehow I get confused because Wikipedia states it different:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan-pan...istress_signal)
They refer to the lower/higher order of the emergency situation.
Can anyone clarify that?

Mayday originally meant "grave and imminent danger to vessel (or
aircraft)". It doesn't have to be your own: if you see a ship sinking
or a glider lose a wing then you are perfectly justified in calling
Mayday.

It did not - the last time I checked, and when I was examined in such
things by a Marconi man - mean "grave and imminent danger to a
person". Various authorities - starting, I think, with the Royal
Yachting Association in the UK - have tried to extend the meaning de
facto, but as far as I am aware it's not official. Theoretically,
therefore, you could be in trouble for calling Mayday for a man
overboard. However, I doubt if anyone would prosecute in practixe, and
if my crew fell overboard I'd call any damn thing I thought would help
and deal with the consequences later.

To return to the distinction, Pan Pan means "this is nasty, but
nothing is on the point of sinking or crashing and "Securite securite
means "look out, folks".

Calling Mayday causes all sorts of things to happen. Everybody else
will stop transmitting (even pan pans). Every available receiver will
be tuned in to you. Recorders will start running. People will be
called in from rest periods. Air crews will warm up helicopters. Huge
amounts of money will be spent.

It is absolutely, grossly, terribly irresponsible to use it for
anything other than dreadful emergency. "I might screw up this landing
so I'd better ask for help just in case" is NOT a dreadful emergency.

Ian
Old June 19th 08, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

On Jun 19, 2:33*am, Ian wrote:
That would be a gross misuse - an abuse - of the MAYDAY call. You are
NOT supposed to use it on the off chance that something might go wrong
later.

You're in a remote area, you're high enough to make a radio call, but
don't know how much lower you can be and still communicate, so you
want to notify *someone* of your predicament.

So you tune 121.5 and say...????

-Tom
Old June 19th 08, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Reed[_2_]

5Z wrote:
You're in a remote area, you're high enough to make a radio call, but
don't know how much lower you can be and still communicate, so you
want to notify *someone* of your predicament.

So you tune 121.5 and say...????

PAN PAN in Europe, which would have the desired effect. I've heard this
is not fully recognised in the US - true or not?
Old June 19th 08, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

According to the FAA's 2008 Aeronautical Information Manual Chapter 6
Section 3, Mayday is to be used for Distress situations, and Pan-Pan
is to be used for Urgency situations: See
http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraff...6/aim0603.html
for further details.

-John

Old June 19th 08, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce

Hi Tom

This is RAS - so the advice is only guaranteed to be worth every cent you pay, but here is my opinion for what it is worth.

I believe the adage is Aviate, navigate, communicate (My corollary is - and know the consequences.)

Having aviated into a hazardous situation - however we got there, the thing to do is to fly the aeroplane, to as safe a
location as possible under the circumstances (minimise the risk of damage and injury), and communicate the situation
(location and risk of damage or injury) as clearly as possible.
Part of mitigating risk to yourself and others is to ensure the people at your home airfield and or SAR know where you
are, and what your intentions are. The cost and risks associated with a large scale search when there is limited
information available is much higher.

So -

You're in a remote area, you're high enough to make a radio call, but
don't know how much lower you can be and still communicate, so you
want to notify *someone* of your predicament.

So you tune 121.5 and say...????

My call is -
PAN PAN "... I have the following situation."

But my understanding is that the controllers / SAR / contest directors would like to know the situation whatever you
call it- as long as you explain the situation. If you mistakenly use "Mayday", the person you are talking to "should"
ask if you really want to declare an emergency.
Then remember to tell the same people once you are down what the new (hopefully - "no problem") situation is.

Even in remote areas you may be able to relay via an airliner - who should be listening for your call if you made a PAN
announcement.

If they don't hear from you cancelling the PAN (Possible Assistance Needed )call all the expensive stuff will start on
the assumption that it is no longer a possible, but an actual "assistance needed" situation - but you won't be on the
hook for futile expenses.

I you cry wolf - You will, of course, aggravate a lot of people you might really want on your side in a real emergency.
And they will bill you.

Communicating anything can save a lot of aggravation - Consider the contest pilot who got too busy to call landing out
in the middle of nowhere on a contest day that developed massive storm fronts. Last contact on the radio was around two
hours before eventual landing. That is a lot of ground for a modern 18m ship.
On the ground , he had no cell reception, deserted farmhouses and too little radio range (flat battery) to reach anyone.
Having lost track of exactly where he was in the excitement he was unaware/unsure of how to reach the nearest town which
was 13km away. Out of options and ideas he slept uncomfortably in the cockpit while the storm blew itself out - which is
more than can be said for a lot of others who spent much of the night up and arranging a search at dawn. Then seven
aircraft started a grid search, with most burning two hours of tach time by the time the aircraft was located, and they
got back home. Then the issue of cost comes up...

The take away from that one for me was - have decent battery endurance available, and try to have two cellular phones so
that you may be able to get alternative comms working. The field we found him in had reasonable cellular coverage by the
alternative network, not his service provider. Could/should have been a simple retrieve.

Sometimes abuse is preferable to non-use.

Old June 20th 08, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott[_7_]

Jonas Eberle wrote:
On 19 Jun., 10:33, Ian wrote:

On 12 Jun, 15:56, 5Z wrote:

Pilot is soaring over remote Utah with some reasonably safe looking
dry lakes, pastures, whatever below. Runs out of lift and decides
it's time to start the engine while within easy range of one of these
landing options. The engine fails to start, the location is extremely
remote, so pilot makes a MAYDAY call while still in the landing
pattern to ensure someone will come get him if problems arise.

That would be a gross misuse - an abuse - of the MAYDAY call. You are
NOT supposed to use it on the off chance that something might go wrong
later.

Ian

On the discussion Pan-Pan vs. Mayday:
As I learned it (and is content of German PPL exams), Mayday means
declaring an emergency for your OWN plane, whereas Pan-Pan means you
noticed an emergency on someone else.

An engine failure on your plane would in this sense be a Mayday, an
observed car crash or a broken glider on the ground would be a Pan-
Pan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayday_(distress_signal)
They refer to the lower/higher order of the emergency situation.
Can anyone clarify that?

Here is text regarding marine VHF use of mayday and pan pan. I recall
learning the same for aircraft use as well (USA)...

7. Emergency signals:

* "MAYDAY": this distress signal is to be used only when threat of
grave and iminent danger exists; requests immediate assistance. “MAYDAY”
has priority over all other messages.
* "PAN PAN": this urgency signal is to be used when the safety of
vessel or person(s) is in jeopardy.

(From website:
http://www.co.escambia.fl.us/departm...Procedures.php )

Scott
Old June 20th 08, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott[_7_]

5Z wrote:

On Jun 19, 2:33 am, Ian wrote:

That would be a gross misuse - an abuse - of the MAYDAY call. You are
NOT supposed to use it on the off chance that something might go wrong
later.

You're in a remote area, you're high enough to make a radio call, but
don't know how much lower you can be and still communicate, so you
want to notify *someone* of your predicament.

So you tune 121.5 and say...????

-Tom

"Any station, any station, Glider 1234 Alpha (use your ship's callsign),
I have a situation...I'm at (lat/Long, near town X, over the shopping
mall,, etc.) describe problem and ask if they can assist in a specific
manner (call flight service, call so and so on a cellphone, etc.)"

Chances are that even if you are on or near the ground, someone will
hear you on 121.5. Airliners are required (If I recall) to monitor
while in flight. From 5 miles up they should have a pretty good range.

Scott

Old June 20th 08, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott[_7_]

Chris Reed wrote:

PAN PAN in Europe, which would have the desired effect. I've heard this
is not fully recognised in the US - true or not?

Thanks for the link...this is what I was looking for to help answer the
question...

Scott
Old June 20th 08, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian

On 19 Jun, 15:48, 5Z wrote:
On Jun 19, 2:33 am, Ian wrote:

That would be a gross misuse - an abuse - of the MAYDAY call. You are
NOT supposed to use it on the off chance that something might go wrong
later.

You're in a remote area, you're high enough to make a radio call, but
don't know how much lower you can be and still communicate, so you
want to notify *someone* of your predicament.

So you tune 121.5 and say...????

An interesting question, particularly if you can't confirm that you're
OK (or not) after landing. However, since you are not in any immediate
danger, neither mayday nor pan-pan would be appropriate. On the whole
you are probably best to keep quiet and activate your emergency
locator if necessary.

Ian
Old June 20th 08, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian

On 19 Jun, 17:58, Bruce wrote:

If they don't hear from you cancelling the PAN (Possible Assistance Needed )call all the expensive stuff will start on
the assumption that it is no longer a possible, but an actual "assistance needed" situation - but you won't be on the
hook for futile expenses.

That's what will happen if you make a pan-pan call before descending
to a height where you can't cancel it.

Ian

Sparrowhawk 300 km in Utah Mike the Strike Soaring 8 May 6th 07 03:33 AM
MAYDAY in the Everglades Marty from Sunny Florida Owning 46 May 16th 05 10:01 PM
Utah Bush Flying O-Usagi Piloting 3 March 22nd 04 04:24 PM
Region 9 - Parowan Utah Dirk Elber Soaring 0 February 9th 04 12:54 AM
St George Utah Casey Wilson Piloting 6 August 9th 03 04:17 AM