GNS430 vs. GX60 - missing functions

Old May 15th 07, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

Default GNS430 vs. GX60 - missing functions

On May 15, 12:22 pm, "Jim Carter" wrote:
So do you fly anything except G1000s? If so, then how do you program in the
grid tracks? Do you have a formula for calculating the grid-edge waypoints?

For CAP I only fly the G1000 (it's our squadron's only aircraft).
However, any GPS should allow you to create WPTs by lat long (which is
what we do).

-Robert

Old May 15th 07, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...

In the G1000 the observer takes command of the right screen while
taxiing out and programs in a way point named Grid#A/B/C/D, etc.
So he creates a WPT called 123A, 123B, 123C, 123D, etc. He does this
by looking at his gridded sectional and figuring the lat/long.

Not by using the cursor to point and click?

If he
makes a mistake, its obvious on the screen.

Maybe...maybe not.

Old May 16th 07, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

On May 15, 3:56 pm, "Matt Barrow"
wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in ooglegroups.com...

In the G1000 the observer takes command of the right screen while
taxiing out and programs in a way point named Grid#A/B/C/D, etc.
So he creates a WPT called 123A, 123B, 123C, 123D, etc. He does this
by looking at his gridded sectional and figuring the lat/long.

Not by using the cursor to point and click?

No. Its very difficult to get your bearings on a moving map for
distant locations. A grid really doesn't have a good point of
reference other than lat/long. I suppose if the grid was over
something easily identifiable(like the Golden Gate), you could do it
but otherwise its easier to just type in the lat/long off your gridded
sectional chart.

-Robert

Old May 17th 07, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Chuck Gerlach

The vast majority of CAP's 500+ aircraft fleet are not G1000 but the old round guage panels we all know and love, To the best of my knowledge all the fleet is equipted with GPSs. Since each was equipted with the latest and greatest panel when it was built, what's in each plane varies widely. What's taught at CAP's National Emergency Services Academy Mission Aircrew School is to plan your search on paper. The observer finds the lat/long of the entry and exit points. Since most search legs are on cardinal directions (N-S, E-W) these points define the search area, The pilot flys the airplane to a point several miles outside the search area on the extended first leg. Holding either the lat or long steady, the first leg is flown. Once out of the search area on the first leg the pilot makes approximately a standard rate 180 degree turn. That positions the plan one mile to the side and close to the lat or long of the next leg. With a little fine adjustment to the lat or long the search areaa is entered and the next leg flown, This process is repeated until the search area is covered. All that is needed is some way to see your current position's lat/long. And all the GPSs can display this. Very straight forward process.
Old May 17th 07, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Carter[_1_]

Yes Chuck, I've been a rated mission pilot for years, but I'm not current.
In our Wing, mission checkouts now include demonstration of integration of
modern GPS technology into the search patterns. For example, I must
demonstrate how to set the GX50/60 series that are in most CAP aircraft for
Creeping Line, Parallel Track, and Expanding Square searches from an Initial
Point. I must also demonstrate using the GPS to compute and display the
standard grid search that you described.
Unless the route of flight of the target aircraft is one of four compass
headings (actually true headings) - North, South, East, or West - the search
pattern used could easily not be aligned with latitudes and longitudes.
Additionally, rather than fly several miles outside the pattern entry point,
many mission pilots equate that fix similarly as we do a holding fix. We
approach it via the most direct and expeditious route and then execute the
proper "holding pattern entry" to align us with the inbound heading -
essentially a 1/2 turn hold prior to entry into the grid. Most usually this
contributes to more time in the search box and less in transit.

My whole point in starting this thread was to determine if these SAR
capabilities are peculiar to the Apollo GX50/60 series or should I have been
able to find them in the Garmin 400/500 series. Apparently this feature is
unique to Apollo,

--
Jim Carter
Rogers, Arkansas

Old May 17th 07, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Peter Clark wrote:

My understanding is that Apollo put specific functionality into their boxes
to allow flying SAR grids specifically because they were chasing a big CAP
contract. So, it's not surprising it's not in the Garmin boxes.

The CAP version of the G1000 182 has search grids.

Um... ours does not have it yet: N652CP, T182T/Nav III, Colorado Wing.

Did you get this with a software upgrade, or is there some
"bump and twist" of the knobs that I have not read about?

Please share how to turn on G1000 182 has search grids.

Thank you!

Best regards,

LtCol Jer/ Eberhard, Colorado Wing Checkpilot (airplanes and gliders),
Assistant Glider Program Manager, Colorado Wing, CAP

--
LtCol Jer/ Eberhard, CO-Wing, Thompson Valley CS., Ft Collins, CO
CELL/VM: 970 231-6325
Old May 18th 07, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 15, 3:56 pm, "Matt Barrow"
wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in
ooglegroups.com...

In the G1000 the observer takes command of the right screen while
taxiing out and programs in a way point named Grid#A/B/C/D, etc.
So he creates a WPT called 123A, 123B, 123C, 123D, etc. He does this
by looking at his gridded sectional and figuring the lat/long.

Not by using the cursor to point and click?

No. Its very difficult to get your bearings on a moving map for
distant locations.

I've only had the G1000 for three months, butI haven't found it THAT
difficult.

A grid really doesn't have a good point of
reference other than lat/long. I suppose if the grid was over
something easily identifiable(like the Golden Gate), you could do it
but otherwise its easier to just type in the lat/long off your gridded
sectional chart.

Other than Terminal areas, I haven't used sectionals in YEARS.

AOAN, I use a named intersection, or just an approximae spot, say five miles
from where I want to enter the traffic area.

Old May 19th 07, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

On May 18, 10:53 am, "Matt Barrow"
wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in ooglegroups.com...

On May 15, 3:56 pm, "Matt Barrow"
wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in
ooglegroups.com...

[...]

from where I want to enter the traffic area.- Hide quoted text -

Even if you had all the grids in the GPS it wouldn't help ground teams
(unless they had a 430 installed in the van) that you are trying to
direct into the search area.

-Robert

Old May 19th 07, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Carter[_1_]

Since the ground teams use the same grid numbering and designation as
the aircrews, I'm not sure I understand the basis of your point. Although
their maps may be more highly detailed and to a much smaller scale, we
typically overlay the standard US grid numbering scheme on them so there is
coordination before they ever get into the field. Why would not having the
same information on both maps not be helpful?

--
Jim Carter
Rogers, Arkansas