Classes?

Old October 6th 08, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
XYZ

Default Classes?

My last less than sucessful post was an attempt to provoke thought about
handicapping.
I really think the SSA and SCCA have the same problem. Too diverse a
selection of equipment and
too many classes to race them in. SCCA has spec this , spec that, local
classes, national classes, regional
classes and even Solo racing, which is racing against nobody in particular.
They have poor attendance in many if
not most classes. SSA has the same issues.

SCCA seems to have a great program when a few things happen at the same
time. People,
Pockets and Parity. Their spec classes do that, but at the cost of
individualality and creativity.

IMHO, Soaring lacks the competitor pool to have well attended contests
unless its a big contest, and they get oversubscribed. Soaring is a larger
than normal ticket item,
just like sports car racing, unless you fly older non competitive stuff.
And that is still no small undertaking.
No difference there. Parity doesnt exist in soaring, be it equipment,
practice opportunitys or whatever
other reason because there are so few participants, and the guys doing it
are so good. The learnng curve is
quite steep.

The fix is more players, and getting the players is difficult because of the
barriers to entry.
Cost and availability.

For me, its my size, I'm 6'4 260lbs. I'm skinnying myself down to fit
within the seat limits
of most gliders, I'll play when i get there.

I dont have the answers, just different questions.

Have a great day.

Scott