Quantico mishap?

Old October 1st 04, 06:38 AM
Paul Michael Brown

Default Quantico mishap?

I've seen fragmentary reports of a Hornet mishap while doing "touch and
goes" at Quantico recently. Sounds wrong to me. Anybody have the gouge?
Old October 1st 04, 12:10 PM
Thomas Schoene

Paul Michael Brown wrote:
I've seen fragmentary reports of a Hornet mishap while doing "touch
and goes" at Quantico recently. Sounds wrong to me. Anybody have
the gouge?

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2...004/1095702046

Date published: 9/20/2004

An F/A-18, has crashed at the end of a runway at Quantico Marine Base.

Captain Tim Taylor with Prince William County Fire and Rescue says they
received a call of the crash at the Quantico Airfield. He says that one
person was taken to Potomac Hospital.

A base spokesperson would only say that the pilot is okay and received a few
cuts and scrapes.

The pilot was doing what are called “touch and goes" when the aircraft slid
off the runway about 12:20 p.m., according to Lt. Col. Rick Long, a base
spokesman. Long said. The F/A-18 landed in a marshy, muddy area off the
north end of the runway.

The pilot was a reservist with Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 321, known as
Hell’s Angels. VMFA-321 is a detachment assigned to Andrews Air Force Base.

Long says, "As far as mishaps go, this is a minor one."

"Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when
wrong to be put right." - Senator Carl Schurz, 1872

Old October 1st 04, 04:20 PM
Greasy Rider

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 11:10:39 GMT, "Thomas Schoene"
proclaimed:
http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2...004/1095702046

If that is a photo of a "minor" incident then I'd hate to see some
serious damage to an aircraft.

Old October 1st 04, 06:33 PM
Ogden Johnson III

(Paul Michael Brown) wrote:

I've seen fragmentary reports of a Hornet mishap while doing "touch and
goes" at Quantico recently. Sounds wrong to me. Anybody have the gouge?

"Sounds wrong to me"?!?!?!?!

Why? Do you doubt a mishap happened? Do you question the
presence of FA-18s at MCAS Quantico? Do you question FA-18s at
MCAS Quantico doing touch and goes.

The presence of FA-18s at Quantico is a common occurrence. While
HMX-1, the helo squadron based at MCAS Quantico has CH-46 and
CH-53 helos assigned to it to provide most helo support needed by
the activities aboard Quantico, most notably The Basic School,
fixed wing support comes from squadrons based elsewhere. The
FA-18 was probably part of a det from a squadron tasked to
support the "three day war" that is part of the TBS curriculum.

As far as doing "touch and goes", pilots often squeeze in a
couple of landing approaches, time, fuel, and traffic load
permitting, when coming back from a training mission.
Particularly if it is the end of a quarter, and they are
deficient in meeting their non-precision instrument approach
requirements [a condition, IME, common for USMC pilots. They'd
rack up precision instrument approaches by the ton on
cross-countries, but for some reason didn't do non-precision ones
until the end of the NATOPS/MAW/Group required period started
fast approaching.]
--
OJ III
Old October 1st 04, 06:42 PM
Ogden Johnson III

Greasy Rider wrote:

"Thomas Schoene" proclaimed:

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2...004/1095702046

If that is a photo of a "minor" incident then I'd hate to see some
serious damage to an aircraft.

The aircraft ran off the runway into a marshy area, at least as
the article describes. By NavAir standards, that probably will
be classed as a "minor" mishap [not incident] based on the $$
amount required to repair the aircraft. What can be seen of the
fuselage/wings doesn't show extensive damage, and the nose end
/may/ not have much damage if it also impacted wet lands rather
than the embankment it is obscured by. It will certainly make a
trip to NARF [or whatever they're calling them these days],
before being returned to VMA-321.
--
OJ III
Old October 1st 04, 07:43 PM
Greasy Rider

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 13:42:34 -0400, Ogden Johnson III
proclaimed:

The aircraft ran off the runway into a marshy area, at least as
the article describes. By NavAir standards, that probably will
be classed as a "minor" mishap [not incident] based on the $$
amount required to repair the aircraft. What can be seen of the
fuselage/wings doesn't show extensive damage, and the nose end
/may/ not have much damage if it also impacted wet lands rather
than the embankment it is obscured by. It will certainly make a
trip to NARF [or whatever they're calling them these days],
before being returned to VMA-321.

Wonder what his deductible was?

Old October 1st 04, 09:13 PM
W. D. Allen Sr.

Want to see my USS Bon Homme Richard, CVA-31, barrier crash? It also was
classified an incident.

WDA

end

Old October 1st 04, 10:27 PM
Yofuri

When was it?

Rick (BHR 4/64-5/67)

Old October 1st 04, 10:28 PM
Allen Epps

In article , Ogden Johnson
III wrote:

Greasy Rider wrote:

"Thomas Schoene" proclaimed:

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2...004/1095702046

If that is a photo of a "minor" incident then I'd hate to see some
serious damage to an aircraft.

The aircraft ran off the runway into a marshy area, at least as
the article describes. By NavAir standards, that probably will
be classed as a "minor" mishap [not incident] based on the $$
amount required to repair the aircraft. What can be seen of the
fuselage/wings doesn't show extensive damage, and the nose end
/may/ not have much damage if it also impacted wet lands rather
than the embankment it is obscured by. It will certainly make a
trip to NARF [or whatever they're calling them these days],
before being returned to VMA-321.

At least a year ago when I left VAQ-209 (we shared a hangar) , 321 was
flying A models so I would guess it just gets sent off to fire fighting
school or something and they pull another one from the boneyeard or
wherever A's went when the C's hit the fleet (and are now leaving the
fleet)

Pugs
Old October 1st 04, 11:34 PM
Tom Denton

By NavAir standards, that probably will
be classed as a "minor" mishap [not incident] based on the $$
amount required to repair the aircraft.

According to the Naval Safety Center, it's a Class A mishap.

http://www.safetycenter.navy.mil/sta...on/summary.htm

Mishap Date: 09/20/2004 Severity: A FM Time: 12:30 Evt Ser: 68157
Acft: F018A Count: Y Destroyed: N Major Command: 4TH MAW
Custodian: VMFA-321 Fatalities: 0
Location: QUANTICO MCAF
Env: Aviation Operational