I want to buy a plane by year-end but they're not making it easy.

Old December 3rd 04, 03:37 AM
Cockpit Colin

Couldn't agree more - however - the down side of a lose / lose situation is
that the client is one of the losers too - which is what we're trying to
work around.

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

"Cockpit Colin" wrote in message
Would it work to offer to pay for the flight with the condition that

your
money be refunded if you bought?

And if he didn't like the product?

Guess which people will be bitching the loudest when the GA markets sours

in
a couple of years.

Matt
---------------------
Matthew W. Barrow
Site-Fill Homes, LLC.
Montrose, CO

Old December 3rd 04, 05:09 AM
Henry A. Spellman

C Kingsbury wrote:

Big snip

In real big-ticket items like cars or real estate, it's not unusual that you
really don't even see the smart and or wealthy buyer face-to-face until the
deal is closed. If they're buying a car they do it by faxing or calling the
sales manager directly, and if they're buying property, they often do so
through a buyer's agent. The biggest money is often the quietest.

-cwk.

One day, while working in the yard in his old Navy boondockers, an old
tee shirt, and old ripped blue jeans, my younger brother decided it was
time to buy the Mercedes that he had always wanted. So, without
changing clothes, he stuck his check book in his hip pocket, jumped on
his motorcycle, and drove 30 miles to the nearest dealer.

As he walked in the dealership, he saw exactly the car he wanted- all
the options and even the right color. So he stood around with his
checkbook in hand trying to look like a customer. The salesmen, all
playing gin rummy at the counter, studiously ignored him. Finally,
after about ten minutes, one of them decided that this guy was not going
to leave until somebody talked to him. So the salesman walked over to
my brother and asked if he could help him.

My brother said, "Yes. I want to buy this automobile. How much is it?"

The salesman replied, "It is really expensive, and the upkeep is quite
high, too. But we have some really clean one owner used car out on the
lot. I would be happy to show them to you."

My brother said, "No. I want to buy this car. How much is it?"

The salesman again went through the nice clean used car bit.

My brother, now barely in control of his temper, coldly looked the
salesman in the eye and said, "I don't want a used car. I want to buy
this car. HOW MUCH IS IT?"

When the salesman started with the used car bit again, my brother left.
On the way back, he became more and more angry, so he stopped by our
father's house to tell him the story.

After hearing the whole story, my father said, "If you still want the
car, go home, put on a suit, and drive back down there in your
Rolls-Royce. I am sure that they will sell a car to anybody driving a
Rolls."

Postscript 1: He bought a BMW.

Postscript 2: Several years later, my brother was the lead CPA on the
staff doing the annual audit of guess what large automobile dealership.
After the closing conference, the owner asked if my brother had any
observations he might like to pass along, even beyond financial matters,
to help the owner in his business. My brother related this story. The
owner asked if he could still identify the salesman. My brother pointed
to a salesman visible through the office window. The owner sighed, and
then said, "It figures. He is my son-in-law."

Hank
Comanche N5903P

Old December 3rd 04, 05:45 AM
C Kingsbury

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

"C Kingsbury" wrote in message

A former boss of mine drove a five year old Buick, wore Sears clothes, a
Seiko $150 watch (a gift from his daughter) and when writing during a
meeting once I tesed him because he used a "Brakes Plus" BIC pen. His wife
had a simple, inexpensive wedding ring. He often wore jeans and cowboy
boots.

He was worth some $15million. And, no, he wasn't miserly at all.

I've been working on starting my own company for quite some time now, and
about a month ago I sold my "nice" car and traded down to a very modest
little 2-door ford coupe to get rid of my monthly payments and extract some
equity as the car was worth more than I owed on it. When I bought the car it
had been my sign of arrival, that I finally was doing well enough to not
worry about every little bit. As I watched it drive away, I said, "well, in
a year or so when the business starts to hum I'll get that Audi convertible
I really want."

Funny thing is, now that I've been driving my 1998 Escort around for a
month, I'm saying, "geez, this ain't so bad. Maybe I'll get the Chrysler
instead of the Audi and save the money for the plane/boat/condo."

It's sometimes funny how skimping regularly on the little things can in time
add up to enough to pay for the big ones. Living in a high-cost city does
not make this easy...

-cwk.

Old December 3rd 04, 07:58 AM
Roger

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 19:53:31 -0500, Bill J wrote:

Yep, first hours PIC after PVT were at factory check out course. All
advised against it. You wouldn't believe insurance

Experienced pilot in a Cirrus is over 7 grand the first year. At
least it is for a coupld on the field who just bought a new one.

The more I read on the Cirrus the less I like it, but the Lancair
series are great.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

premiums/deductable...But both Cirrus and Lancair beat a path to demo it
to him.

gatt wrote:
-
"Bill J" wrote in message

My student bought a Lancair before he had his ticket. No prob lem oh!

Wow, that's a lot of airplane for a new pilot, isn't it?

-c

Old December 3rd 04, 08:09 AM
Roger

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 04:40:25 GMT, "T.Roger"
wrote:

Early on, I offered the east-coast Tiger rep to pay for fuel. It didn't
persuade him.

IF a customer is serious about purchasing and wants a demo ride they
offer to pay for and hour of two of aircraft time, not gas!
Prices have gone up. You are probably looking at more like $150 to
$200 instead of $100, but it depends on what mood they are in and just
how serious (and capable) you present yourself.

Offering to pay for the fuel does sound like a tire kicker to them.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

"T.Roger" wrote:

All I've asked of Cirrus, Piper and Tiger is if I can demo their damned
planes before I buy.

Have you offered to pay them for the flight? Most dealers will be happy to
demo
a new plane for about $100.

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to
have
been looking for it.

Old December 3rd 04, 09:16 AM
Dude

If someone is actually serious, then they should not be asked for money for
a demonstration IMO.

I didn't pay anyone. I also did not take any rides I wasn't serious about.
I told one guy at an open house that I did want to come see the plane, but
that I was not a good prospect and he should spend his time working others.
I am sure he appreciated that. He still offered a ride. I suspect that he
considered me a good prospect and thought the ride might sway me.

If I were determined, I would rather go get the prequalification and an
insurance quote. Then, if I got asked for them, I would ask point blank why
the guy thought I wasn't serious. He better have a tactful answer, or my
next conversation would be with his boss.

I suspect that something about T Roger is causing all of these guys to have
the same reaction, and he seems to be oblivious to it. It may be
misleading, or not.

. com...

Old December 3rd 04, 10:22 AM
Cub Driver

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 19:37:53 -0500, Bill J wrote:

My student bought a Lancair before he had his ticket. No prob lem oh!

Fellow at the local airfield bought a Piper Cub while in training,
then the FAA took a year to give him a medical! Blood pressure, I
think.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
the blog www.danford.net
Old December 3rd 04, 10:30 AM
Cub Driver

On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 06:42:49 GMT, "markjen"
wrote:

My advice is to cool your jets on buying an airplane and finish getting your
ticket. Flying your own plane just adds another distraction. Insurance
will be very, very tough to get. Keep your eye on the ball.

I think he's concerned about getting the tax writeoff. Presumably he
has a business, and this is a business expense. It's 50 percent, a big
deal, probably wipe out his taxes for a couple of years.

Seems a bit late in the day!

Old December 3rd 04, 03:32 PM
John T

I do believe the tax writeoff thing has been extended. Haven't been
paying attention to it, but thats what I recall.

John

Old December 3rd 04, 07:18 PM
xyzzy

Henry A. Spellman wrote:

Postscript 2: Several years later, my brother was the lead CPA on the
staff doing the annual audit of guess what large automobile dealership.
After the closing conference, the owner asked if my brother had any
observations he might like to pass along, even beyond financial matters,
to help the owner in his business. My brother related this story. The
owner asked if he could still identify the salesman. My brother pointed
to a salesman visible through the office window. The owner sighed, and
then said, "It figures. He is my son-in-law."

Kinda like that guy in the FedEx commercial, he's stuck.

You know, the one where the boss has this conversation with the slacker
office worker who his throwing pencils at the ceiling while he's talking:

"Did that package get there on time?"

"Ummm no"

"Did you send it fedex like I told you?"

"ummm, no"

"Remind me why I keep you around here"

"Ummmm, you're my dad"

"Oh, right"

rec.aviation.aerobatics FAQ Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Aerobatics 0 October 1st 04 07:27 AM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
rec.aviation.aerobatics FAQ Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Aerobatics 0 November 1st 03 06:27 AM
Conspiracy Theorists (amusing) Grantland Military Aviation 1 October 2nd 03 12:17 AM
rec.aviation.aerobatics FAQ Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Aerobatics 0 October 1st 03 07:27 AM