Recording and Deleting Tasks and Turnpoints in the Volkslogger

Old May 16th 05, 09:27 PM
Nyal Williams

Default Recording and Deleting Tasks and Turnpoints in the Volkslogger

My partner and I are tripping over each other in using
the VL. We upload our tasks and waypoints from SeeYou
and want to download recorded flights for official
purposes.

VL claims it can store 25 pilots and 500 turnpoints.
Our questions are these:

1. How do we erase tasks and turnpoints from VL to
keep it simple and uncluttered?

2. (This might be a SeeYou question) How do I upload
a single task from SeeYou? ( I believe that all tasks
I have worked out in SeeYou get uploaded at once.)

3. If tasks and/or turnpoints remain in VL and it is
impossible to erase, how can I be sure I have identified
the correct task for declaration?

4. If erasure is not possible, how can I and my partner
coordinate our separate files to be sure we are not
choosing the wrong task or crediting the wrong pilot
with the task flown? (Naming or numbering tasks can
become complicated without close coordination; I can't
imagine 25 pilots in a club managing one of these loggers)

Any comments would be appreciated; I have not been
able to reach a dealer who can assist me.

Old May 17th 05, 01:09 AM
Nyal Williams

I turned the subject heading around, hoping to get
more responses.

Nyal Williams

Old May 17th 05, 06:19 AM
Henryk Birecki

Here is one possibility:

Go to http://www.soaringpilotsoftware.com/soaringnagware.htm Download,
try and purchase utility called VLtoIGC that runs form a PDA. This
utility can download task, erase tasks, download and upload
Volkslogger data base, so each of you can have a separate data base.
No turnpoint management is done.

If you were using GPS_LOG WinCE you'd be declaring tasks to VL
directly form GPS_LOG WinCE and forget all about turnpoint management
in VL.

Cheers,

Henryk Birecki

Old May 18th 05, 09:42 PM

Hi, Nyal, hope I can shed some light... I use a Volkslogger and find it
has a pretty interesting learning curve.

Nyal Williams wrote:
My partner and I are tripping over each other in using
the VL. We upload our tasks and waypoints from SeeYou
and want to download recorded flights for official
purposes.

So you use a PC or PC laptop, using SeeYou, to upload each day,
or multiple flights in a day? And then use the official VL programs
DATA-GCS.EXE and VALI-GCS.EXE that come with the VL to read IGC files?

VL claims it can store 25 pilots and 500 turnpoints.
Our questions are these:

1. How do we erase tasks and turnpoints from VL to
keep it simple and uncluttered?

I have to ask, if there are still tasks/turnpoints, what is the
problem? AND, I would rather have the set of turnpoints available. At
least for our area, most turnpoints are airports and most airports are
landable. When you press EMR on the VL the five nearest are available
for navigation. It can be a comforting feature.

Regardless, to "erase", create a database (task and turnpoint) of two
points, one task. Whenever the two turnpoints and task are uploaded to
the VL, the rest are overwritten.

Overwriting of the pilot list and other info will not occur, in my
experience.

2. (This might be a SeeYou question) How do I upload
a single task from SeeYou? ( I believe that all tasks
I have worked out in SeeYou get uploaded at once.)

In SeeYou, Save As, your task's name, and then the dialog box with
" " comes up. Click the " " to put all tasks/turnpoints to
the left (on the PC), then highlight the single task and click " " to
put it to the save side. Save it. The pilot name, ship, etc. is not
part of the task and is not saved with the task.

Then open your task's name. You can edit your declaration, pilot
information, etc. at this time. Now upload it all to the VL.

3. If tasks and/or turnpoints remain in VL and it is
impossible to erase, how can I be sure I have identified
the correct task for declaration?

When you create tasks in SeeYou, name them. Highlight a task, right
click on Properties, and change the name there.
According to the VL manual, you can use 14 characters, so you could use
for example: "NYAL_500K1_CCW" to remember it is your task, a 500K, #1,
in the counterclockwise direction. Or 3 turnpoint names, or whatever
code system you want.

When you turn on the VL, go to the menu. You will skip NAV, skip INF,
select FAI, skip INFO (for now), select TASK, select Copy RTE from DB?,
and scroll through to find "NYAL_500K1_CCW".

(See www.winpilot.com, click gliders, click compatable hardware, click
VL for a great pictorial representation of the VL menu system.)

Then, (sorry), check the task. This step is needed if you are using the
VL to beep at you when you correctly enter each observation zone. If
you just are recording the flight, and relying on some other system to
navigate to your points, you don't need to verify.

To verify, check start, each turnpoint, finish. Check the observation
sectors when you check each point including start and finish. (There
may be a SeeYou problem, I know SeeYou isn't creating start lines for
tasks I have created. I have to go in and fix that after
FAI/TASK/Copy.)

Then (everyone) go back and check the pilot info, ship, etc. Then
declare and you are ready to go.

4. If erasure is not possible, how can I and my partner
coordinate our separate files to be sure we are not
choosing the wrong task or crediting the wrong pilot
with the task flown? (Naming or numbering tasks can
become complicated without close coordination; I can't
imagine 25 pilots in a club managing one of these loggers)

See above. Nyal, you get all the tasks starting with "N".
Upload and verify.

Any comments would be appreciated; I have not been
able to reach a dealer who can assist me.

Do try this at home! Much better than being ****ed off at 6k' under
beautiful cu's!

John Gilbert