Motorglider hours same as glider?

Old September 28th 15, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Motorglider hours same as glider?

I understand you can use glider hours towards a private pilot license, but can you use motor glider hours toward a glider pilot license?

Old September 28th 15, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, September 28, 2015 at 5:23:02 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I understand you can use glider hours towards a private pilot license, but can you use motor glider hours toward a glider pilot license?

A glider certificate has 3 endorsements for launch.
Aero tow
Ground launch(winch or auto)
Self launch
Flying a self launch sailplane is a way to get a glider certificate. Then additional training is required to get endorsed for the other launch types.
UH
Old September 28th 15, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Monday, September 28, 2015 at 5:23:02 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I understand you can use glider hours towards a private pilot license, but can you use motor glider hours toward a glider pilot license?

From http://www.ssa.org/GliderPilotRatings

"Holders of a valid FAA Power plane license with 40 hours as pilot-in-command need a minimum of 10 solo flights to qualify to take the glider flight test. No written exam is required to add a glider rating to a power license. In all cases, refer to the Federal Aviation Regulations for details on pilot licensing."

Your CFI-Glider decides how many glider flights you need before you receive the endorsement to fly solo in the glider. The amount of pre-solo training that you require depends on your present skill and aptitude. In that sense, your experience in a motor glider may help you to solo sooner (or later).
Old September 28th 15, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

On Monday, September 28, 2015 at 3:23:02 PM UTC-6, wrote:
I understand you can use glider hours towards a private pilot license, but can you use motor glider hours toward a glider pilot license?

A glider is a glider...
If the FAR says required time in a glider it counts.
If the FAR says required time in an aircraft it counts.
If the FAR says required time in an airplane, it doesn't count.

Brian

Old September 29th 15, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, September 28, 2015 at 6:54:21 PM UTC-4, Brian wrote:
On Monday, September 28, 2015 at 3:23:02 PM UTC-6, wrote:
I understand you can use glider hours towards a private pilot license, but can you use motor glider hours toward a glider pilot license?

A glider is a glider...
If the FAR says required time in a glider it counts.
If the FAR says required time in an aircraft it counts.
If the FAR says required time in an airplane, it doesn't count.

Brian

Also, a private license is a private license. It's issued
for particular classes and categories. So, you can have a
private pilot license authorized for glider, airplane single engine land,
airplane multiengine land, or whatever. You'll have one
piece of plastic in your pocket saying "PRIVATE PILOT"
which on the back will specify what you can use it in.

Matt
Old September 29th 15, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

On Monday, 28 September 2015 22:23:02 UTC+1, wrote:
I understand you can use glider hours towards a private pilot license, but can you use motor glider hours toward a glider pilot license?

As an aside which is probably not relevant to most of you, in the UK I fly both TMG (fixed prop) and SLMG (folding prop) using the privileges of an aeroplane PPL. Time in the SLMG is disregarded in considering currency rules for revalidating my PPL, but time in a TMG does count.

Under new rules (EASA) I will have the option of flying motor gliders using a Sailplane Pilots License - for an SLMG it will just be treated as a different launch type.
Old September 29th 15, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Is there any trick to locating a motorglider/instructor other than a Google search? (Austin, TX area)
Old September 29th 15, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at 3:02:19 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Is there any trick to locating a motorglider/instructor other than a Google search? (Austin, TX area)

Man, are you in luck!

http://www.learn2soar.net/

Just up the street from you!
Old September 29th 15, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Oh, and I found it using the SSA Where to Fly page.

http://www.ssa.org/WhereToFly

Used the Google Maps version, winged my way over to Texas, and there I was.

Old September 29th 15, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I did find that one, apparently he doesn't operate out of Llano anymore. I've found an old listing for Georgetown as well. It appears the next closest is near Dallas which strikes me as odd. Not as many as I thought might be around.

Glider Hours Walt Connelly Soaring 18 April 29th 11 10:17 PM
In your country how many hours in a glider can count towards therequirements for a power license? Markus Graeber Soaring 5 December 18th 08 04:06 AM
3 Down in last 24 hours thepearl Rotorcraft 0 September 25th 05 04:29 PM
IFR in motorglider, or any glider Jim Culp Soaring 2 June 30th 04 04:50 PM
Glider hours count towards ATP? Michael Soaring 1 November 9th 03 02:24 AM