Trial flying lesson - update 1

Old October 3rd 05, 10:36 AM
Ice blonde

Default Trial flying lesson - update 1

Hi,

Back from the wild west, a weekend spend watching flying horses (I kid
you not!) flying is the correct term for their fastest gait.

Have spoken to the lovely people at Shoreham airport and as its such a
lovely day, they are happy to take me up flying this afternoon!!!!!!!

So unless I chicken out, I will have report tonight....

Till later

Old October 3rd 05, 06:16 PM
Ross Richardson

Years ago I was on a business trip to the UK and we were staying in
Brighton. Woke up to a lousy Saturday morning. By the time breakfast was
over the sky was a clear blue. We went to Shoreham and rented a Warrior
(G-BEMW) and went flying. Flew to Portsmouth and back. Took an
instructor with me to keep me out of trouble.

-------------
Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
KSWI (USA)

Old October 3rd 05, 06:59 PM
JohnH

So unless I chicken out, I will have report tonight....

We're waiting with bated breath. Or maybe that was just the sardines I had
for lunch.

Old October 3rd 05, 10:06 PM
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

JohnH wrote:
So unless I chicken out, I will have report tonight....

We're waiting with bated breath. Or maybe that was just the sardines I had
for lunch.

In that case, you're waiting with baited breath. G

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Old October 3rd 05, 10:15 PM
Ice blonde

SORRY ITS LONG.....

We're waiting with bated breath. Or maybe that was just the sardines I had
for lunch.

Probably the sardines ;-)

Ok, it was absolutely fantastic :-))))))))))) Ok, the story is.....

I just got up this morning, looked out the window and saw clear blue
sky and sunshine. So I thought, rather than going window shopping, I
would ring up one and ask if I could fly today.

Found the airport and my way around inside which was a good start. Then
had to deal with the very bemused looks from the gentlemen at the
flying club/school, obviously I either have two heads, I looked
terrified, or I don't look like the sort of person who turns up for
flying lessons.

Had lunch first with a nice view of the planes, then had a quick lesson
in the office on what the controls do, with dinky little red model
plane :-)

Then out to the plane, lots of checks and untie the plane, I didn't
realise you have to tie your plane up too ;-)

The brain was a little bit frazzled after learning about all the
controls / instruments. But I think I got most of it. Plane was a two
seat Cessna 152, with a very dodgy nickname (don't ask, I didn't name
it)

Got to do some of the taxi-ing, had great fun with the pedal brakes,
then helped with take off, pulled out the throttle ;-), and followed
what he was upto with the controls. So far so good, then he just says
off you go...... :-0

No, not really, well he did say that, but then explained everything,
and showed me how to fly, and it was fab, didn't feel sick or scared or
anything :-) Flew over my house at least twice, but I managed to miss
it, I'm just not used to seeing it from that angle, doh! Good views of
the surrounding areas thou.

Only managed to nearly stall it once, when putting the throttle back in
too far, but all females in charge of a motor engine of any sort should
be allowed one near stall ;-)

So apart from the take off, and when we were banking around in circles
looking for the house, I flew the rest of the time, 40 minutes, but we
over ran a bit too. Then he did the landing.... So safely back on the
ground and big cheesy grin.

In summary, yes I loved it, yes I think its addictive, and I want to do
it again.... but might have to either wait a while, or do it slowly due
to finances :-(

Thanks again to everyone for all your helpful comments.

Happy flying or skiing for those who don't fly...

Old October 4th 05, 01:01 AM
Seth Masia

The cheapest way to earn your license is to do it in the US, where we have
relatively cheap fuel and much more forgiving regulations. So plan your
holiday over here and you can learn with my daughter next summer.

Seth

"Ice blonde" wrote in message
ps.com...
SORRY ITS LONG.....

Old October 4th 05, 04:50 AM
Jay Honeck

In summary, yes I loved it, yes I think its addictive, and I want to do
it again.... but might have to either wait a while, or do it slowly due
to finances :-(

Wonderful! Glad you enjoyed it. There is, quite simply, nothing else like
flying.

Okay, here's your plan:

1. Come to the U.S. next summer.
2. Stay at our inn for two months. (We'll give you a great rate...)
3. Take your flight lessons at our airport. We have two flight schools on
the field.
4. Save yourself a bundle of money, and Mary and I will show you the
Midwest...

Go home with a Private Pilot's Certificate in your purse for thousands less
than it would cost in Europe.

(You can see the inn on our website, below...)

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 4th 05, 07:07 PM
Ice blonde

Hi

Thanks for the replies, not sure if training in the US would be the
best way to go, as if I understand correctly, the licence would only
allow you to fly American registered planes, and I'm not sure how many
of those there are owned by the local flying clubs.

Unless you can train for the different licences in the US?

Regards

Old October 4th 05, 09:27 PM
Ice blonde

What do you bet Mary's away on business when you get there!!

And what difference would that make?