A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Painting fiberglass Cobra trailer

Old January 18th 13, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Painting fiberglass Cobra trailer

Hi,
Can anyone recommend a paint type for the fiberglass top of the Cobra trailer? Looking to spray paint a couple coats of white paint followed by the clear coat.
Thanks,
GK
Old January 18th 13, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor
external usenet poster

Any good polyurethane should work. I would use a single stage rather than a two stage base and clear coat. I like PPG single stage like the Concept series.
Old January 18th 13, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Friday, January 18, 2013 7:59:37 AM UTC-8, Tim Taylor wrote:
Any good polyurethane should work. I would use a single stage rather than a two stage base and clear coat. I like PPG single stage like the Concept series.

Yabbut.... @ around $450/gallon, concept is a bit spendy for a trailer.
Old January 18th 13, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Discus 44
external usenet poster

On Jan 18, 7:59*am, Tim Taylor wrote:
Any good polyurethane should work. I would use a single stage rather than a two stage base and clear coat. *I like PPG single stage like the Concept series.

"Concept" is an Acrylic Urethane material. Polyurethane it is not.
Must use a breathing system for safe application. Yes, it is
expensive. Maybe use a good auto paint.

TU
Old January 18th 13, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CLewis95
external usenet poster

On Friday, January 18, 2013 9:38:00 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a paint type for the fiberglass top of the Cobra trailer? Looking to spray paint a couple coats of white paint followed by the clear coat.

Thanks,

GK

I plan to do the same thing someday .. I would be interested in hearing from anyone (experienced) in giving an estimate for doing this.

Curt - 95
Old January 18th 13, 07:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Friday, January 18, 2013 10:38:00 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi, Can anyone recommend a paint type for the fiberglass top of the Cobra trailer? Looking to spray paint a couple coats of white paint followed by the clear coat. Thanks, GK

Your best bet is to use whatever the local guy that is going to spray it is used to.
5U has done a couple trailers and they look pretty nice. I think he is using the basecoat/ clearcoat method. Maybe he can ring in.
I have a fair bit of experience with PPG Concept(single stage AU). It is expensive and fairly nasty to be around requiring space suit and deicated breathing supply. It does come out nice though.
This is not a job that is worth trying to do yourself. Convince your local painter to let you do most of the prep and pay him to do the expert part. It will be money well spent.
Good Luck
UH
Old January 18th 13, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CLewis95
external usenet poster

On Friday, January 18, 2013 12:58:05 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Friday, January 18, 2013 10:38:00 AM UTC-5, wrote:

Hi, Can anyone recommend a paint type for the fiberglass top of the Cobra trailer? Looking to spray paint a couple coats of white paint followed by the clear coat. Thanks, GK

Your best bet is to use whatever the local guy that is going to spray it is used to.

5U has done a couple trailers and they look pretty nice. I think he is using the basecoat/ clearcoat method. Maybe he can ring in.

I have a fair bit of experience with PPG Concept(single stage AU). It is expensive and fairly nasty to be around requiring space suit and deicated breathing supply. It does come out nice though.

This is not a job that is worth trying to do yourself. Convince your local painter to let you do most of the prep and pay him to do the expert part. It will be money well spent.

Good Luck

UH

Hank thx for comments but I don't want to do ANY of the work! ... I'm looking for an approx estimate on entire job (fiberglass top only).
Old January 19th 13, 01:18 AM

First recorded activity by AviationBanter: Oct 2011

What about aerothane?
Old January 18th 13, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor
external usenet poster

TU, actually AU is polyurethane, it is considered a 2 or 3 part, single stage polyurethane. This means you mix at least two parts, base plus catalyst and shoot only one type of paint in several coats.

UH and UF are correct. The cheapest way to go is to use what your local discount paint shop uses. Companies like Eastwood sell single stage products for around $100 per gallon. Depending on how much prep your trailer top needs you could likely find a discount shop that will do a top for about 1 AU (aviation cost unit is $1,000).
Old January 18th 13, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor
external usenet poster

TU, actually AU is polyurethane, it is considered a 2 or 3 part, single stage polyurethane. This means you mix at least two parts, base plus catalyst and shoot only one type of paint in several coats.

UH and UF are correct. The cheapest way to go is to use what your local discount paint shop uses. Companies like Eastwood sell single stage products for around $100 per gallon. Depending on how much prep your trailer top needs you could likely find a discount shop that will do a top for about 1 AU (aviation cost unit is $1,000).