Cobra trailer aluminum vs fiberglass top

Old July 17th 18, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Cobra trailer aluminum vs fiberglass top

On Tuesday, July 17, 2018 at 11:45:05 AM UTC+1, Ken Payne wrote:
At 09:38 17 July 2018, krasw wrote:
I haven't ever seen metal top Cobra that requires painting. I have never
seen glass top that doesn't.

Do Cobra offer a paint finish on their fiberglass tops. If not why not?

Very good question!
Old July 17th 18, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]

On Tuesday, July 17, 2018 at 11:00:30 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Tuesday, July 17, 2018 at 11:45:05 AM UTC+1, Ken Payne wrote:
At 09:38 17 July 2018, krasw wrote:
I haven't ever seen metal top Cobra that requires painting. I have never
seen glass top that doesn't.

Do Cobra offer a paint finish on their fiberglass tops. If not why not?

Very good question!

I've been considering a wrap to refinish my fiberglass top. Does anyone have experience with this option?

Thanks,
Craig
Old July 17th 18, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Tuesday, July 17, 2018 at 11:00:30 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Tuesday, July 17, 2018 at 11:45:05 AM UTC+1, Ken Payne wrote:
At 09:38 17 July 2018, krasw wrote:
I haven't ever seen metal top Cobra that requires painting. I have never
seen glass top that doesn't.

Do Cobra offer a paint finish on their fiberglass tops. If not why not?

Very good question!

Similar questions to "Do they offer LED lighting?" or "Do they offer felt instead of foam-backed carpet?"
Like a new sailplane, it seems there is always something the buyer needs to work on.
Believe they're all being delivered with "beer friendly" fenders (mud guards) now, so one less option to consider.
Interior lighting is nice.
After installing one of each, the IMI drawer seemed better than the Cobra.

Tom, if you're getting an ASH31 (or for anyone considering JS1C or perhaps other multi-span polyhedral wing) have a look at the wider "DoSi" trailer as an option. Things are awfully tight in the standard width trailers, a recipe for trailer rash. At least either trailer will be shorter than the ASH26 (or Duo) trailers.
But uncertain that the newer wide metal top trailers still have a seam along the top. The 2000-vintage ones do. Alfred's sheet metal brake is huge, but has limits.
Jim
Old July 18th 18, 02:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Tuesday, July 17, 2018 at 11:42:54 AM UTC-7, JS wrote:
[...]

Jim,
I just looked at the Cobra trailer options, and could not find anything about a wider "DoSi." I will ask Rex about this tomorrow.
Thanks,
Tom
Old July 18th 18, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

Jim,
I just looked at the Cobra trailer options, and could not find anything
abo=
ut a wider "DoSi." I will ask Rex about this tomorrow.
Thanks,
Tom

"Dosi" is German slang or a shortcut word for Doppelsitzer
(two-seater), so a trailer that was initially conceived to house a
two seater.

RO

Old July 18th 18, 04:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

I asked Alfred about the wide "DoSi" trailer option for single seaters at Reno, he said nobody asks as it does cost a little more. Perhaps fixing trailer rash does too.
Rex could show you a 31 in a standard trailer, I'm sure. You're essentially squeezing 21m in a 15m trailer.
Believe the wide one for the ASH31 or JS1C would be the same size externally as the trailer for a Karat, if you know someone with one.
Jim

Old July 18th 18, 07:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gavin Short[_2_]

At 18:27 17 July 2018, Craig Funston wrote:
On Tuesday, July 17, 2018 at 11:00:30 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Tuesday, July 17, 2018 at 11:45:05 AM UTC+1, Ken Payne wrote:
At 09:38 17 July 2018, krasw wrote:
I haven't ever seen metal top Cobra that requires painting. I have

never
seen glass top that doesn't.

Do Cobra offer a paint finish on their fiberglass tops. If not why

not?

Very good question!

I've been considering a wrap to refinish my fiberglass top. Does anyone
have experience with this option?

Thanks,
Craig

Craig,

I have an Aero-works 'Rikki' trailer. There weren't many made. The top is
aluminium and is 'wrapped'. The prine options, in terms of ascending cost,
were roller paint, film wrapped, and spray booth painted. I went with the
wrap option as it seemed easy to care for and any damage could be repaired
by me by simply cutting out the damaged wrap and replacing that section. I
took delivery of the trailer in summer 2014 and the wrap is holding up well
(the trailer winters in the club hangar).

f.i the aluminium roof is not insulated but has a solar vent and
ventilation exhaust grilles at the back of the trailer (hidden by the
trailer number plate). No condensation problems ever encountered (as yes
it does rain in the Eifel national park in Germany).

Gavin
Std Cirrus, G-SCNN, #173
SFV Südeifel, Utscheid, Germany

Old July 18th 18, 08:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I owned a JS1c 18/21 in a standard 15m type Cobra trailer and it was just OK for width except that I had to be careful to lower the top exactly centrally otherwise the flaperon horns at the rear of the trailer could get caught (never did). The problem for me was the lack of adequate storage space at the front of the trailer. A better option would be the same width but 40cm longer part no 031/030 trailer which also has a slightly taller top. I have helped to put a JS1 in one of those different and it makes more of a difference than it sounds. I am going to get that size for an 18m-only glider just for the extra storage.

I have also seen a JS1 in the Cobra "DoSi" Duo type trailer and it certainly was extremely roomy but it looked like overkill to me.
Old July 18th 18, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]

On Tuesday, July 17, 2018 at 11:45:04 PM UTC-7, Gavin Short wrote:
[...]

Hi Gavin,

Thanks for the feedback. I haven't priced the wrap out yet, but it does appear to be an attractive option.

Best regards,
Craig Funston
Old July 19th 18, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Monday, July 16, 2018 at 4:44:25 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 12:13:33 PM UTC-4, 2G wrote:
I am interested in the pros and cons of aluminum vs fiberglass top for Cobra trailers.

Tom

My experience, having owned both, is that the current production glass to Cobra trailers keep the glider cooler and drier than metal top trailers.
Neatly done repairs are much easier in glass. I am experienced in both.
When the finish deteriorates, my opinion is that it is easier to refinish the glass trailer. This involves surface sanding to get a clean, slightly roughened surface, followed by a couple light coats of spray filler to clean up surface defects, orbital sand with 220 grit, and then spray with acrylic urethane.
The metal trailer, if the paint is bad, requires stripping to bare metal, etch, conversion coat, epoxy prime, then paint with AU.
FWIW most of the damage to either is meaningfully reduced by simply getting them out of the weather. This also keeps the glider cooler which slows aging.
In my view the dominant consideration is how well the trailer protects the glider that costs somewhere between 8 and 20 times what the trailer does.
UH

I am 100% with UH on all points. Get a fiberglass top you will not regret. An auto-body shop can paint a fiberglass trailer top for you for $2k, probably less than the insulation cost for an aluminum top.