1 Fatal ...r.a.h or r.a.p?

Old February 2nd 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

Default 1 Fatal ...r.a.h or r.a.p?

I sometimes cut-n-paste crash victim's names into Google.groups.rec.aviation
to see if that person has ever posted here. Too ghoulish?

One person's name, about 6 years ago, came up. IIRC, his family was in the
plane.

With the spate of recent crashes it got me wondering, again: People here at
rec.aviation know some of these victims - but have WE lost any of our (r.a.h
& r.a.p) posters in crashes, in the last 8-10 years?

Montblack
I've been around since 1998 - starting in r.a.s.

Old February 2nd 06, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

"Montblack" wrote in message
..
..
With the spate of recent crashes

Has there really been a spate of recent crashes, or has it been a spate of
people posting details of recent crashes?

--
Geoff
the sea hawk at wow way d0t com

Old February 3rd 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

"Montblack" wrote in message ...
I sometimes cut-n-paste crash victim's names into Google.groups.rec.aviation
to see if that person has ever posted here. Too ghoulish?

One person's name, about 6 years ago, came up. IIRC, his family was in the
plane.

With the spate of recent crashes it got me wondering, again: People here at
rec.aviation know some of these victims - but have WE lost any of our (r.a.h
& r.a.p) posters in crashes, in the last 8-10 years?

Montblack
I've been around since 1998 - starting in r.a.s.

Wasn't there a gentleman who not too long ago died in the crash of his SQ2000 canard that posted on R.A.H. My memory
fails me but it seems he had installed an Franklin engine? and was having overheating issues. I don't believe he had
much time at all on it.

Old February 3rd 06, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

Montblack wrote:
I sometimes cut-n-paste crash victim's names into
Google.groups.rec.aviation
to see if that person has ever posted here. Too ghoulish?

One person's name, about 6 years ago, came up. IIRC, his family was in the
plane.

With the spate of recent crashes it got me wondering, again: People here at
rec.aviation know some of these victims - but have WE lost any of our
(r.a.h
& r.a.p) posters in crashes, in the last 8-10 years?

Montblack
I've been around since 1998 - starting in r.a.s.

Two people that used to post in RAH died in the infamous Mini 500.
Old February 3rd 06, 06:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

"Jerry Springer" wrote

Two people that used to post in RAH died in the infamous Mini 500.

Gil, and ????
--
Jim in NC
Old February 3rd 06, 07:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

Jerry Springer wrote:

Montblack wrote:

I sometimes cut-n-paste crash victim's names into
Google.groups.rec.aviation
to see if that person has ever posted here. Too ghoulish?

One person's name, about 6 years ago, came up. IIRC, his family was in
the
plane.

With the spate of recent crashes it got me wondering, again: People
here at
rec.aviation know some of these victims - but have WE lost any of our
(r.a.h
& r.a.p) posters in crashes, in the last 8-10 years?

Montblack
I've been around since 1998 - starting in r.a.s.

Two people that used to post in RAH died in the infamous Mini 500.

I know (knew) a few lurkers (who read but don't post) that we lost in the
last few years.

It's a sad side of this business.

Richard

Old February 3rd 06, 02:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 06:11:18 GMT, Richard Lamb
wrote:

Jerry Springer wrote:

Montblack wrote:

[...]

you know the saddest part of it all.
they vanish anonymously in the dark of night.
most times we wonder about the lack of recent activity and think they
have moved jobs. comes as a real shock to find that someone ceased
existence and we never even knew it.

I have enjoyed all the posters on RAH and aus.aviation that I read and
discuss with and have for over a decade. sometimes an update as to who
has died would be appreciated. ...although we dont want it to become
rec.aviation.funerals

....and I bloody well dont want my entry appearing!
Stealth Pilot

Old February 3rd 06, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

JJS wrote:

Montblack
I've been around since 1998 - starting in r.a.s.

Wasn't there a gentleman who not too long ago died in the crash of his SQ2000 canard that posted on R.A.H. My memory
fails me but it seems he had installed an Franklin engine? and was having overheating issues. I don't believe he had
much time at all on it.

The SQ2000 guy was flying a rotary (mazda derivative) engine that had
what the rotary community believes was an intermittent fuel supply
program and was in flight test at the time. The aircraft had made one
dead-stick due to what the community assumed was a vapor lock. This was
a fairly low altitude turn back and landing on-field but off-runway.
After some re-work on the fuel system he went up again, and on one of
the subsequent flights weeks later lost power very low, and tried to
make another low turn back to the runway. He ended up in trees.

The rotary powered aircraft community participated in both the NTSB
investigation and afterwards several purchased the airframe from the
widow and did additional information gathering. Nothing definitive was
determined from a cause standpoint, but one of the fuel injectors (which
was used, not new) was found to be faulty from a flow standpoint.

Dave S

Old February 3rd 06, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

Morgans wrote:

"Jerry Springer" wrote

Two people that used to post in RAH died in the infamous Mini 500.

Gil, and ????

Your probably right Jim I was thinking of Allen Barklage, he may not
have posted in RAH. Maybe someone else remembers if he did or not.
Old February 3rd 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

"Dave S" wrote in message
nk.net...
JJS wrote:
The SQ2000 guy was flying a rotary (mazda derivative) engine that had what
the rotary community believes was an intermittent fuel supply program and
was in flight test at the time. The aircraft had made one dead-stick due
to what the community assumed was a vapor lock. This was a fairly low
altitude turn back and landing on-field but off-runway. After some re-work
on the fuel system he went up again, and on one of the subsequent flights
weeks later lost power very low, and tried to make another low turn back
to the runway. He ended up in trees.

Same tactic killed Wiley Post and Will Rogers. Don't fly myself, but in a
lifetime of reading
I've seen several references to crashes occuring from pilots trying to turn
back to a runway
when they had a reasonably flat bit of terrain in front of them. It's been
said that Post knew better, but had the family fortune tied up in the plane
he and Will were traveling in and just let that drive his decision making.
What do some of you actual pilots think?

Harold
KD5SAK