Airports that have oxygen

Old February 24th 21, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Good

Default Airports that have oxygen

Hoping to find more airports with it.

The airport listings on airnav.com have a section on available services, including oxygen service. So this can help you find airports that offer oxygen (though it would probably be smart to call ahead).

This will not avoid the issue you found at Provo: FBOs like the idea of selling $3 worth of oxygen and 20 minutes of labor for $100+ - and bizjets will pay this.

Old February 24th 21, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Tango Whisky wrote on 2/24/2021 5:19 AM:
The point is that with welding oxygen, there is no tracability that a an empty storage cylinder hasn't been left open which would enable moisture to enter.

My welding supply place says they evacuate oxygen cylinders before filling them, because even a
cylinder that still has pressure in it can be accidentally back-filled with some other gas in
normal use. That was to explain why the fill fee is the same, regardless of how much pressure
the bottle had when I gave it to them.

Old February 24th 21, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

On 2/24/21 2:03 AM, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Tuesday, February 23, 2021 at 9:47:53 PM UTC-8, wrote:
At the Cowley wave camps, there's the odd day when record attempts are made to 30,000+ It gets really cold up there as in -30C - actually surface temperature at night a week or so ago.

My welding supplier advises ABO for that kind of height and temperature, and I'm inclined to believe him. But the turnaround time for ABO cylinders is really slow here.

Your welding supplier is confused. **there is no difference** This is the perennial noise that comes up on r.a.s every few years. All the O2 in these uses comes from cryogenic fractional distillation. The cyrogenic process freezes out all moisture. All those cylinders are filled from the same liquid oxygen source. Oxygen distribution systems are inherently dry. If they had moisture in them we'd have a boat load of safety issues in handling and distribution.

Medical oxygen is frequently humidified on purpose, but it's done
outside of of the high-pressure cylinder. Maybe that's the confusion.

Concerning Parowan, years ago I was there with a cylinder and regulator
rated for 3000 psi, so I asked for the high pressure fillup.

Worked fine until a few thousand feet in the air, the regulator failed
and blew apart the low-pressure line that started whipping around the
cockpit. Had visions of being another Richard Pryor until I managed to
stick the tubing out the window, then get the oxygen shut off.

Sometimes fixing one problem creates a bigger one in its place.

-Dave
Old February 24th 21, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kevin anderson

Also Technical dive shops can do oxygen fill. We have a local shop in Maryville TN that will do a fill, cheap, and easy.

Kevin
92
Old February 24th 21, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

On safari we carry a trans-fill hose and rent a bottle at the local gas
supplier. For less than $50 many gliders can fill up for a week. The
hose was the expensive part but I found a hose with pressure gauge at a
veterinary supply house at an extremely good price.

Dan
5J

On 2/23/21 8:55 PM, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
It has been my experience that Medical Oxygen requires a prescription.

Most Welding Gas supply businesses have ABO Aviators breathing Oxygen no prescription required and can fill a bottle.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Old February 24th 21, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 5:19:34 AM UTC-8, Tango Whisky wrote:
The point is that with welding oxygen, there is no tracability that a an empty storage cylinder hasn't been left open which would enable moisture to enter. At 30 °C in a dry climate that would be 10 g/m3 water content. Take that content to -10°C and would freeze you valve solid shut (without even to take into account expansion cooling).
On the medical cylinders we use in Switzerland, we have a small valve inserted into the valvo of the cylinder which shuts of the cylinders below a pressure of 5 bars.
Le mercredi 24 février 2021 Ã* 10:03:46 UTC+1, Darryl Ramm a écrit :
[...]

I don't understand specific concerns about -30C or flight above a certain altitude. If there was a water contamination problem folks would often be having problems at lower altitudes anywhere around freezing temp. Or do you use ABO at all altitudes? Lots of gliders fly in wave in cold conditions using welding oxygen and how many are falling out of the sky or having problems with oxygen supply. I'm aware of not one case of moisture contamination in a glider oxygen system. Does anybody know of one? I'm aware of shattering cannula tubes because of the cold, and all the usual stupidity of not running on cylinder valves, or taking off with low pressure or not knowing how to operate O2 systems etc...and fires during transfilling glider oxygen... all those stories and not one about moisture contamination. Many many places at least in the USA that refill oxygen for gliders use industrial oxygen.... and the number of problems are???

Refillers should be pumping down oxygen cylinders prior to refilling. It's in the fill procedure for suppliers I've talked with. They know how critical low contaminants including water are with industrial gases, and they don't want to be compressing 2,000 psi oxygen with some potential mystery gas. If the valve is open they may want to inspect the cylinder for corrosion. You can always ask your local refiller what they do. Lots of folks are going to tell you you need medical grade for medical and AVO for aviation, in the best case they might they *think* there is a safety reason or might think they would be in trouble for supplying you with industrial oxygen, or they might just want to charge you more money.

I think it must be time to talk about the dangers of sanding corrosion off lift pins...

Old February 25th 21, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
glidergeek

On Tuesday, February 23, 2021 at 10:38:04 AM UTC-8, Doug Levy wrote:
Last year while motor gliding the western states I had trouble finding airports that can fill my oxygen bottle. I did get fills at Ely, Minden, and Inyokern. Do you know of places that can help out a visiting pilot?

Doug I've got O2 at L26 anytime I'm here .

Ka-6 Oxygen Peter von Tresckow Soaring 3 January 4th 12 04:42 AM
Oxygen Jim[_18_] Soaring 5 September 28th 11 11:59 PM
SZD-55 and oxygen David Pye[_2_] Soaring 1 February 27th 07 05:56 PM
Do you always have oxygen? Mxsmanic Piloting 32 November 18th 06 11:30 PM
hi alt oxygen Arquebus257WeaMag Military Aviation 62 March 28th 04 04:57 PM