FBO's and WiFi

Old August 22nd 03, 11:13 PM
Peter Duniho

"Kyler Laird" wrote in message
news
Well, you *were* wrong.

Hardly.

My statement was never intended to be the end-all, be-all enumeration of
situations in which the connection's latency would be noticed. My point was
and still is that it's not the kind of thing an FBO would be concerned with.
I mentioned games as something that, while probably still unusual, is a
situation in which someone at an FBO would notice the latency.

You took it upon yourself to broaden the intended interpretation of the
statement, and then correct it on that basis. Granted, that's typical
Usenet behavior, and that's all my most recent reply was intended to
acknowledge.

Pete

Old August 23rd 03, 12:29 AM
Marty Ross

Which Linux are you using, and which laptop (model #)?

"Joachim Feise" wrote in message
Peter Duniho wrote:

A couple years back, Windows was handling that just fine on my laptop.

Well, still not on mine... Sometimes W2K hangs when trying to hibernate,
and I have to do a hard reset.

Nice to hear Linux has caught up...

At least it hibernates consistently, which I can't say for Windows.

-Joe

Old August 24th 03, 07:16 PM
Darrel Toepfer

"Peter Duniho" wrote...
Darrel Toepfer wrote...
Ever tried VOIP over satellite?

I'm not aware of any FBO that is talking about using VOIP over a satellite
link. There are many applications for with the latency in a satellite

link
would be detrimental. That's not the point. The question is whether such

link would work for an FBO.

I think the original inquiry was as to the limitations of satellite supplied
IP service, those limitations were passed on from personal experiences. VOIP
is available through most IP networks, might as well take advantage of it if
its there...

I'd take issue with your claim that "network gaming as mentioned is
impossible", since that's not universally true (many online games work

fine
even with high latency), but it's not relevant at all to this discussion.

Fine, play checkers on Yahoo, knock yourself out. Don't cry too loudly when
you get kicked out for lagging the games found there...

Nearly 10 minutes per day spread over several days, twice a year...
Guaranteed to screw up something important that needed to be done,
everytime...

Doesn't sound like a problem that would preclude an FBO using a satellite
link.

As stated it will eventually effect something important that needed to be
done at that instant...

The weather station that is there now is fed via satellite, was replaced
awhile back when the terminal went under water for a time. Its unavailable
afterhours since the terminal is locked...

My local FBO will be supplied with an 802.11b repeater from my wireless
service, most if not all outbound ports will be blocked except for port
80... Service will be free to those that need access, my subscription
service already covers the north end of the runway... Now if they'd just
install one of those 24hr fueling stations... Have another wireless project
in the works at 3R7, so may duplicate the service there as well... They have
one of those 24 fueling stations... g

Darrel Toepfer
Eunice, La. 4R7

Old August 30th 03, 08:22 AM
Roger Halstead

You probably shouldn't be trusted to maintain a Windows system then. None
of my Windows machines (all running Windows 2000 or Windows XP, including
two laptops) ever need a reboot. I let them go weeks, and they only get
rebooted for reasons unrelated to system stability (usually a software
install, new drivers, that sort of thing).

I'm afraid to ask which frequency version this is using.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

Pete