source for clips or sleaves for Hotelier linkages

Old August 3rd 19, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default source for clips or sleaves for Hotelier linkages

Dental floss is very cheap, works, very available.
Braided small fishing line (NOT monofilament) also works.

Yes, a hot glue dab or small dab of ShooGlue (or similar.....thickened silicone sealant) to hold "string" to both sides is great.
Weak enough to break in a bind, cheap, prevents dropping pins/clips while assembling.
Old August 3rd 19, 11:41 PM
Delta8 Delta8 is offline
Member

Location: Pa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Marotta View Post
On 8/3/2019 4:29 AM, Delta8 wrote:
After going the pin route the clips are a god send . You don't need to
tie anything onto them to prevent them from falling into the abyss .

.... Until one slips out of your fingers.
--
Dan, 5J
See T8's posted pictures . They stay attached to the push rods . There are tiny factory holes in the fitting . The end of the clip is pushed through the hole and bent at a 90 degree angle.
Old August 4th 19, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Saturday, August 3, 2019 at 8:53:11 AM UTC-6, JD Williams wrote:
The phoebus connections are made outside the fuselage, if dropped the pins fall to the ground. I keep mine in an altoid tin along with the pin for the Jesus rod. Gives me one more positive check that pins are in. Box empty, pins in.

Any sources for plastic hemostats (with bent ends)? On the phoebus you have to reach into the wing and pull the brake rod out for hookup. I plasti-dipped a set of pliers but would rather have a plastic set. I was told that using pliers could score the connector ball, not desirable.

JD

JD, I just got done making this tool.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/t8A6Mgw592vHA2dA8
Old August 5th 19, 03:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Neat tool!Â* But couldn't you simply move the control surface to gain
access to the rod end?Â* Or am I missing something?

Old August 5th 19, 07:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Sunday, August 4, 2019 at 8:47:15 PM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
[...]

For the aileron, yes. However, the spoilers when closed, have the end of the rod retracted inside the wing, and you have to pull it out to connect it prior to sliding the wing all the way in. It is a real challenge to pull it out to hook it up. This tool makes it easier. In the past, I have used a bent wire coat-hanger, but I fear that constant use of that could call the ball of the connector.

Old August 5th 19, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Monday, August 5, 2019 at 9:03:40 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
Excellent!Â* (But a really ****ty design on the glider.)

Most Fleabi (Plural of Phoebus) have chipped away finish at the inboard end of the upper surface dive brake. You stick something like a thin screwdriver blade in to pop the spoiler up, then pull it up to fully extended, which puts the control rod end just outside the wing root rib. Then, with the dive brake handle fully deployed in the cockpit, you can just connect the two.

Not too unlike the aileron connections on a Nimbus 3 at the inboard/outboard panel joint.

Steve Leonard
Old August 8th 19, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

Before I fitted wedekind sleeves on my DG, I had R clips tied to the pushrods with fishing line.
It was very difficult to fit them, impossible to see whilst fitting. It was also difficult to keep hands free of grease in the process making it harder.
Now, with the sleeves, the whole hookup takes less than a minute, against 10-15 minutes of fiddling.
Old August 8th 19, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Wednesday, August 7, 2019 at 7:55:18 PM UTC-6, Charlie Quebec wrote:
Before I fitted wedekind sleeves on my DG, I had R clips tied to the pushrods with fishing line.
It was very difficult to fit them, impossible to see whilst fitting. It was also difficult to keep hands free of grease in the process making it harder.
Now, with the sleeves, the whole hookup takes less than a minute, against 10-15 minutes of fiddling.

Fortunately the arrangement of these connections is different with the Phoebus, making the connections outside, between the wing and the fuselage. Lots of room and direct visualization of the connection.
Old August 18th 19, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JD Williams

John,

How did you make it? 3D print? Thats a perfect solution!
JD