SR20 vs SR22 exhaust

Old April 26th 04, 11:32 PM
Ben Jackson

Default SR20 vs SR22 exhaust

I'm not sure I'd ever seen an SR20 before today, and boy does it have
obnoxious exhausts. Are all Cirrus planes like that and I've just missed
it?

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old April 27th 04, 04:26 PM
xyzzy

Ben Jackson wrote:
I'm not sure I'd ever seen an SR20 before today, and boy does it have
obnoxious exhausts. Are all Cirrus planes like that and I've just missed
it?

According to this admittedly very anti-Cirrus website, an SR22 is seven
times louder than a C-182:

http://www.airplanenoise.com/article....%20Cirrus.pdf

Old April 27th 04, 04:47 PM
Peter R.

xyzzy ) wrote:

According to this admittedly very anti-Cirrus website, an SR22 is seven
times louder than a C-182:

http://www.airplanenoise.com/article....%20Cirrus.pdf

Link doesn't work.

--
Peter

Old April 27th 04, 07:29 PM
Ben Jackson

In article , xyzzy wrote:
Ben Jackson wrote:
I'm not sure I'd ever seen an SR20 before today, and boy does it have
obnoxious exhausts. Are all Cirrus planes like that and I've just missed
it?

According to this admittedly very anti-Cirrus website, an SR22 is seven
times louder than a C-182:

I'm not talking about sound, I'm talking about the pipes. They stuck
about 2' out of the bottom of the cowling on the SR20 I saw. Like giant
fangs... I see now that those are only on the SR20 -- the SR22 has much
shorter pipes.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old April 27th 04, 07:43 PM
TTA Cherokee Driver

Peter R. wrote:

xyzzy ) wrote:

According to this admittedly very anti-Cirrus website, an SR22 is seven
times louder than a C-182:

http://www.airplanenoise.com/article....%20Cirrus.pdf

Link doesn't work.

Hmm, the server for airplanenoise.com seems to be down.

Type this into google: airplanenoise.com sr-22

then click on "view in html" on the first result returned, to see
Google's cached copy of it. Not all the graphics made it but you can
figure it out. And did I mention this is a very anti-Cirrus article?
However I have no reason to doubt the facts presented (just the way they
are presented is biased, for example the one stat where Cirrus wins
hands down, cruising speed, they poo-poo its importance).

Old April 27th 04, 10:22 PM
Jay Honeck

I'm not talking about sound, I'm talking about the pipes. They stuck
about 2' out of the bottom of the cowling on the SR20 I saw. Like giant
fangs... I see now that those are only on the SR20 -- the SR22 has much
shorter pipes.

Yep, they're ugly -- but I assume they are "tuned" exhausts...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 28th 04, 02:03 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

Yep, they're ugly -- but I assume they are "tuned" exhausts...

Well, it may not equate, but the tuning on automotive systems is done in the header.
The length and bends of the pipes from the heads to the collectors is important, but
the length of the exhaust pipes is not.

George Patterson
If you don't tell lies, you never have to remember what you said.
Old April 28th 04, 02:57 AM
ISLIP

According to this admittedly very anti-Cirrus website, an SR22 is seven
times louder than a C-182:

Peter

Interesting PDF but basically bull**** put out by a Cessna sales rep trying to
make some sales.
Being that it contrasts a Turbo Skylane with a Cirrus SR22 & gives 101 reasons
why the Cessna is a better airplane ( & it probably is for some people), the
facts are that 2003 sales are Cessna 182T = 47, while the Cirrus SR22 = 355.
Obviously, a lot of purchasers either didn't read the referenced PDF or else
took it for what it was

John
Old April 28th 04, 04:37 AM
Dave Stadt

"ISLIP" wrote in message
According to this admittedly very anti-Cirrus website, an SR22 is seven
times louder than a C-182:

Peter

Interesting PDF but basically bull**** put out by a Cessna sales rep

trying to
make some sales.
Being that it contrasts a Turbo Skylane with a Cirrus SR22 & gives 101

reasons
why the Cessna is a better airplane ( & it probably is for some people),

the
facts are that 2003 sales are Cessna 182T = 47, while the Cirrus SR22 =

355.
Obviously, a lot of purchasers either didn't read the referenced PDF or

else
took it for what it was

John

The truth will come several years down the road. First year sales are not a
guarantee future years sales will follow suit.

Old April 28th 04, 02:49 PM
Jay Honeck

Yep, they're ugly -- but I assume they are "tuned" exhausts...

Well, it may not equate, but the tuning on automotive systems is done in

the header.
The length and bends of the pipes from the heads to the collectors is

important, but
the length of the exhaust pipes is not.

Hmmm. I thought that new "performance exhaust" system for Cherokees and
Skyhawks had to be "x" number of inches (feet?) long in order to "tune" the
exhaust, in order to increase horsepower "x" percent?

Isn't that why those things are so big, honkin' ugly, hanging out the bottom
of the plane?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA