2200k at 194.66kph is this a speed record?

Old May 4th 12, 12:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
joesimmers[_2_]

Default 2200k at 194.66kph is this a speed record?

I just noticed my friend Devin Bargainnier did just under 2200k at a whopping 194.66kph yesterday out of minden!

I have not gotten to speak to him yet but I have to imagine
this is some kind of a speed record?

Nice job Devin!

Joe Simmers
Old May 4th 12, 12:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Friday, May 4, 2012 6:21:11 AM UTC-5, joesimmers wrote:
I just noticed my friend Devin Bargainnier did just under 2200k at a whopping 194.66kph yesterday out of minden!

I have not gotten to speak to him yet but I have to imagine
this is some kind of a speed record?

Nice job Devin!

Joe Simmers

not sure about a speed record for the flight but it looks like he did his best to break the record for stop to start re-light speed. 60 seconds!
Old May 4th 12, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Friday, May 4, 2012 4:52:50 AM UTC-7, Tony wrote:
On Friday, May 4, 2012 6:21:11 AM UTC-5, joesimmers wrote:
I just noticed my friend Devin Bargainnier did just under 2200k at a whopping 194.66kph yesterday out of minden!

I have not gotten to speak to him yet but I have to imagine
this is some kind of a speed record?

Nice job Devin!

Joe Simmers

not sure about a speed record for the flight but it looks like he did his best to break the record for stop to start re-light speed. 60 seconds!

Very impressive distance and speed. In fact, his speed may be even higher if he corrects the start time on OLC. OLC failed to detect the relight and calculated both flights as one. While in this case it did not add any distance, it likely added time which reduced the overall speed.
Another observation from comparing his flight to Jim Payne which was a little longer, is that flying above 18K did not provide any advantage in speed, perhaps the contrary. I guess it boils down to how fast you are willing to fly...

Ramy
Old May 5th 12, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On May 4, 4:38 pm, Ramy wrote:

Very impressive distance and speed. In fact, his speed may be even higher if he corrects the start time on OLC. OLC failed to detect the relight and calculated both flights as one. While in this case it did not add any distance, it likely added time which reduced the overall speed.
Another observation from comparing his flight to Jim Payne which was a little longer, is that flying above 18K did not provide any advantage in speed, perhaps the contrary. I guess it boils down to how fast you are willing to fly...

Ramy

I thought that at first, too, Ramy. But, I think his OLC flight,
speed, etc was calculated from somewhere along the first climb on the
second flight. I also noticed the below 18K and the above 18K of the
two traces. I think one big difference was the efficiency of the
transitions. You notice Jim had some much deeper dives in altitude on
his transitions than Devin had. Which likely required either slower
cruise or just plain stop to climb back up.

Either way, a couple of spectacular flights. Hope Hugh and Gordo will
get their flight uploaded. Interested in seeing how that went. I
followed on SPOT and FlightAware. Really great to look at satellite
loops, see radar, etc along their route.

Steve

Old May 5th 12, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, May 4, 2012 4:21:11 AM UTC-7, joesimmers wrote:
I just noticed my friend Devin Bargainnier did just under 2200k at a whopping 194.66kph yesterday out of minden!

I have not gotten to speak to him yet but I have to imagine
this is some kind of a speed record?

Nice job Devin!

Joe Simmers

This must be the first 2000km flight by a Junior Pilot. Congrats!

sailcar speed record bagmaker Soaring 7 April 1st 09 10:47 PM
Wind powered land speed record. [email protected] Soaring 1 March 31st 09 08:02 AM
New world speed record: 534 km/h! [email protected] Soaring 8 September 23rd 06 02:25 PM
speed record set by scramjet - fair? Don French Piloting 55 November 28th 04 01:57 PM
F-106 Speed record questions.... David E. Powell Military Aviation 67 February 25th 04 06:13 AM