PowerFLARM Flight Circles in SeeYou

Old June 1st 13, 03:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

Default PowerFLARM Flight Circles in SeeYou

I was using SeeYou to compare flights recorded with my Volkslogger with those from my PowerFLARM core, to see if there were any discrepancies. The position recordings overlay very nicely.

But some of the flight traces from the PowerFLARM core (v3.0 firmware)have little blue circles on them. These blue circles are definitely not marking places where I got FLARM collision warnings (these don't seem to be plotted at all). Sometimes there's just one circle, but mostly there are two or three. Their spacing varies from 2 up to 10 seconds.

Does anyone know what these circles are depicting?

-John, Q3
Old June 1st 13, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

John Carlyle wrote, On 6/1/2013 7:23 AM:
I was using SeeYou to compare flights recorded with my Volkslogger
with those from my PowerFLARM core, to see if there were any
discrepancies. The position recordings overlay very nicely.

But some of the flight traces from the PowerFLARM core (v3.0
firmware)have little blue circles on them. These blue circles are
definitely not marking places where I got FLARM collision warnings
(these don't seem to be plotted at all). Sometimes there's just one
circle, but mostly there are two or three. Their spacing varies from
2 up to 10 seconds.

Does anyone know what these circles are depicting?

I see those, and I wonder if they are Pilot Event (PEV) marks, because
they look like what I remember getting with my 302 when I had a PEV
button connected. I ocasionally press and hold the button on the display
for my Core when I'm trying to access the menu. I wonder if that is
produces a "Pilot Event"?

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl
Old June 1st 13, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

On Saturday, June 1, 2013 2:52:38 PM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
[...]

That may be it, Eric. The recording interval near the blue dots does increase to a 1 sec interval from my normal 4 sec interval, like a Pilot Event should create. I looked in the PowerFLARM v3.03 Display Manual, but there isn't any mention of Pilot Event, so I've no idea what action causes the dots. However, I do remember changing the radar range at the blue points on my flight. Maybe I twisted or pushed one or both knobs on my 57 mm Butterfly display?

-John, Q3
Old June 1st 13, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

On Saturday, June 1, 2013 3:42:05 PM UTC-4, John Carlyle wrote:
[...]

Eric, Thanks to your response I can confirm that there are indeed PEVs in my PowerFLARM IGC file at the exact times the blue dots appear. Now the question is, how did I cause them?

-John, Q3
Old June 6th 13, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Eric, Thanks to your response I can confirm that there are indeed PEVs in my PowerFLARM IGC file at the exact times the blue dots appear. Now the question is, how did I cause them?

On Portable, a short button press generates a PEV. As the Core doesn't have a
button, PEVs are generated by the display. We did discuss this briefly with BF but I don't remember the decision right now.
Marc, are you monitoring the discussion?

Best
--Gerhard (FLARM dev mgr)
Old June 7th 13, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

On Thursday, June 6, 2013 6:58:00 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Eric, Thanks to your response I can confirm that there are indeed PEVs in my PowerFLARM IGC file at the exact times the blue dots appear. Now the question is, how did I cause them?

On Portable, a short button press generates a PEV. As the Core doesn't have a

button, PEVs are generated by the display. We did discuss this briefly with BF but I don't remember the decision right now.

Marc, are you monitoring the discussion?

Best
--Gerhard (FLARM dev mgr)

Thanks for your note, Gerhard. I had written to Marc off-line on June 3, 2013 about this issue, but did not receive a reply. Perhaps he'll see this thread.

-John, Q3