LX5000 + iPAQ

Old October 26th 04, 09:00 AM
Ludovic Launer

Default LX5000 + iPAQ

Hello,

Looking at the LX navigation and Filser website (by the way what's the
relation between these two ?), there's one thing which isn't 100% clear to
me:

I'll soon have a LX5000 FAI, and I'd like to connect my iPAQ running
winpilot to it.

If I look at the wiring diagram, they are 2 RS232 outputs:

- one for the PC with a binder type connector coming out of the instrument
panel. OK, I'll use that to connect to a laptop

- one with a standard sub 9 connector which I guess I can use to output the
NMEA sentences towards the ipaq ? and upload info the the LX5000 using
flyWithCE downloader ?
Is this correct ?

I saw that there was a "data spliter" available. I guess I only need that if
I want to have NMEA output towards more than one unit, is that correct ?
Is the LX5000 - PC cable (with female binder connector) delivered with the
unit ?

Regards,
Ludovic

Old October 26th 04, 03:11 PM
Bruce Greeff

Ludovic Launer wrote:
Hello,

Looking at the LX navigation and Filser website (by the way what's the
relation between these two ?), there's one thing which isn't 100% clear to
me:

LX Navigation are the manufacturer and international distributor for the LX
Instruments. Filser is a German distributor.
If you want response in a non German part of the world, best be talking to the
right people.

Old October 26th 04, 05:18 PM
Kevin Parker

I, too, am interested in attaching a PDA (mine a Palm Tungsten T
running Soaringpilot) to the LX-5000 for gps output. I'm doing this
in a club glider and would prefer to make an attachment to the
connection on the panel, rather than to the back of the unit. Does
the panel connection output NMEA data? If so, does anyone know what
the pinouts are (TX, RX and ground) so that I can make a cord up?
Even better would be an additional pin for 5v out to keep the Palm
alive, but I'm assuming that's asking for too much.

Kevin Parker

Old October 26th 04, 06:40 PM
Paul Remde

Hi,

I sell custom cables for connecting the LX5000 to a PDA. They are listed
he
http://www.soarmn.com/cumulus/goddar...election_Guide

The custom Goddard cables and power converters I sell are not inexpensive,
but they connect together very easily and are very rugged and reliable and
shielded to prevent interference with your radio.

The LX5000 does not provide 5V power for the PDA. I recommend a Goddard
PS-5a power converter for that.

The LX-5000 wiring diagram is available in the back of the manual which is
available on the Filser web site.

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

om...

Old October 26th 04, 06:46 PM
Paul Remde

Hi,

I am a dealer for LX and Filser. I'm somewhat new so I have more to learn,
but I've read all the manuals and played with the units.

LX Navigation and Filser are unique companies with some products available
from both companies and some products unique to each company. They have a
close working relationship.

Available from Filser
- LX5000
- LX20
- Radios
- Transponders

Available from LX Navigation
- LX 7000
- Colibri
- LX1600
- LX160

More details on the available products are on my web site.

The wiring diagram for the LX5000 is available on the Filser web site in the
back of the manual.

The RS-485 data splitter is used to connect additional display units and
remote control units to the LX5000 and LX7000. I don't believe it is used
for GPS data.

You are correct that the DB-9 connector on the back of the LX5000 is the one
to use for GPS data.

Feel free to contact me if you want custom cables for connecting the LX5000
to your PDA.

Thanks,

Old October 26th 04, 07:36 PM
Tim Mara

please see:
http://www.wingsandwheels.com/lx_nav...ies_for_ip.htm
I have in stock LX and Filser cable sets for connection between iPaq and
LX5000, LX7000
tim

Old October 27th 04, 03:15 AM
G.A. Seguin

[...]

Mine came with the pc connector.
I have a 5000, what is the advantage of using Winpilot. 5000 seems
complete has it is.
S6
Old October 27th 04, 06:18 AM
Clint

"Ludovic Launer" wrote in message ...
Hello,

Looking at the LX navigation and Filser website (by the way what's the
relation between these two ?), there's one thing which isn't 100% clear to
me:

I'll soon have a LX5000 FAI, and I'd like to connect my iPAQ running
winpilot to it.

If I look at the wiring diagram, they are 2 RS232 outputs:

- one for the PC with a binder type connector coming out of the instrument
panel. OK, I'll use that to connect to a laptop

- one with a standard sub 9 connector which I guess I can use to output the
NMEA sentences towards the ipaq ? and upload info the the LX5000 using
flyWithCE downloader ?
Is this correct ?

When I bought my glider - the 5-pin LX to PC cable was missing. I
removed the 5-pin plug and fitted a std 9 pin plug to connect to the
PC. To run my PDA - I need a simple 9-pin to 9 pin converter to cross
the TX in and out streams. Works fine but using the second RS232
output might eliminate the need for the cross-over cable. I had made
up the cross-over cable when I was still using a Garmin as a NMEA
source.

Clinton
LAK 12