27 crash at Ely?

Old July 12th 20, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Mitton

Default 27 crash at Ely?

On Sunday, July 12, 2020 at 7:45:45 AM UTC-7, Waveguru wrote:
Does anyone know if a 27 crashed in Ely recently?

Boggs

RIP, Marek. The regulars at Ely lost a true friend and a great pilot.

MM
Old July 13th 20, 12:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waveguru

Was the accident on take off, or landing, or out on course?

Boggs
Old July 13th 20, 01:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Out on course, although probably not long after release since he crashed in the mountains east of Ely.

Ramy
Old July 13th 20, 01:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glider Pilot

My last photo of Marek with his ASG-29 last year at Mt. Valley Airport. Super nice person. RIP.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0-lb...yumyHepQQE09TA
Old July 13th 20, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ASM

Oh man, that’s terrible news. Jacek
Old July 13th 20, 06:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Sunday, July 12, 2020 at 5:16:04 PM UTC-7, ASM wrote:
Oh man, that’s terrible news. Jacek

The accident occurred on the east ridge just a few miles from the airport. It is thought by another pilot that he was thermalling just above the ridge top and got blown to the lee (east) side of it and attempted to glide across to the windward side unsuccessfully. His data logger file was recovered by another glider pilot and provided to the sheriff and, ultimately, the NTSB. Marek was an extremely experienced pilot and knew the area very well. He will be sorely missed.

Tom
Old July 13th 20, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Marek was a wonderful person. We enjoyed spending time with him here in Tehachapi. May he rest in peace. Prayers for his family.
Dan and Janice Armstrong
Old July 13th 20, 07:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

Few more pictures with Marek, 1963 and 2013

https://www.flickr.com/photos/31233038@N03/
Old July 13th 20, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

I didn't know Marek Malolepszy, I wish I had, it sounds like from his friends.
RIP
This reminds me of the double fatality in Alamagordo NM a few years back where 2 very experienced Pilots, tandem flying, went down shortly after launch in the Mountains to the East, same Lee side accident situation.
Damn this is awful news. It really throws a wet towel on my personal enthusiasm to get out there, let me tell you.
Fly safe in 2020
Nick
Old July 13th 20, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Monday, July 13, 2020 at 10:21:42 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Marek was a wonderful person. We enjoyed spending time with him here in Tehachapi. May he rest in peace. Prayers for his family.
Dan and Janice Armstrong

A further update by a pilot who hiked to the crash site was that the glider's wreckage indicated it was traveling in a northerly direction parallel to the ridgeline and on the windward (west) side of the ridge top. A wind gust or eddy pushed the glider into the ridge with the left-wing low. The left wingtip impacted near the top of the ridge, shedding parts of the wingtip in the process. This tremendous drag cartwheeled the glider, causing the cockpit and right-wing to impact. The force of the impact disintegrated all of the parts, leaving the spars as the most recognizable pieces. Marek died on impact and did not suffer.

Tom

BBF-109 CRASH adelsonsl Aviation Photos 1 May 30th 08 08:47 AM
vampire or venom crash pic - wx904 crash.jpg (1/1) [email protected] Aviation Photos 4 January 1st 07 07:30 PM
vampire or venom crash pic - wx904 crash.jpg (0/1) [email protected] Aviation Photos 0 December 30th 06 05:57 PM
son of sam crash houstondan Piloting 37 July 1st 05 01:17 AM
MiG-29 crash on take off Iwan Bogels Piloting 9 September 13th 04 05:35 PM