SSA Sailplane Tracker

Old August 30th 20, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

Default SSA Sailplane Tracker

On 8/30/20 10:00 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Sun, 30 Aug 2020 06:35:48 -0700, Bill Tisdale wrote:

I cannot get glideportaero to load this morning 8/30/2020. Both Link
from SSA Sailplane Tracker or directly to the glideportaero url. No
response, too long to load, error messages. Any ideas?

If your PC has the ping and traceroute commands installed, try them to
see if/where there's a network problem. IIRC they are standard issue for
Windows and definitely for Linux. Dunno about Apple kit. They are run
from the command line. In case you haven't used them:

Both are run from the command line:

ping glideport.aero

shows success or failure at contacting the URP you give it.

traceroute glideport.aero

shows every step along the way from you to the URL on success and
otherwise shows where the fault lies and what the fault is.

You don't need these programs all the time, but they are very useful in
working out whether a connection is broken and if so, where.

It's working for me. There was a big problem that's being resolved now,
possibly related:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/30/tech/...are/index.html

Old August 30th 20, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Newport-Peace[_6_]

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

I tried traceroute, but that command is not supported under Win10. Ping

is,
and I got 4 reasonable responses. The IP address for glideport.aero is
http://107.170.23.252/. When I enter that in the search bar I get

connected
to glideport.aero.

Tom

Use tracert not traceroute

Old August 31st 20, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Sunday, August 30, 2020 at 2:30:04 PM UTC-7, Tim Newport-Peace wrote:
[...]

A better one is https://www.pingplotter.com/download

Tom
Old August 31st 20, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

On Sunday, August 30, 2020 at 6:35:51 AM UTC-7, Bill Tisdale wrote:
I cannot get glideportaero to load this morning 8/30/2020. Both Link
from SSA Sailplane Tracker or directly to the glideportaero url. No
response, too long to load, error messages. Any ideas?

Use this website to find out: https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/
Of course, that's if *that* website is up :-)

Tom
Old September 8th 20, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Gillis

On Friday, June 26, 2020 at 12:18:08 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 6:41:50 AM UTC-7, AS wrote:
Is there a trick for making the life tracker on the SSA website work? I tried to follow the Perry contest but was only able to get it to work on my iPhone but not on my laptop. Only got a blank screen there. I am using Chrome as a browser and Windoze 7 Professional.

Uli

SPOT have changed their mapping service and formats, here is how to make a URL suitable for use at glideport.aero:-

share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=09zinCBIVfVFEcsbxqddrCIFbMlqMPx xx
where the example starting with 09z is replaced by your own XML link. This has to be a separate link with a different title than your shared page. Here is how to get your XML number:-
1) log in to findmespot.com
2)Maps
3)History mode
4)Manage (little lines with check marks icon)
5)Shared Views
6) Add shared view
7) Make a shared view with a different tile such as MYXMLFeed
9) XML Feed
10) View Details on MYXMLFeed
11) The XML Feed ID should be displayed. Copy and paste it, append it to the text
share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=
and you are good to go.
Worked for me!!

Sometimes a SPOT will work for years with glideport, then sudenly stop working. This is because if glideport ever has a communication difficulty with SPOT, it automatically deletes that particular XML feed as a safety precaution. The fix is to make another XML feed on your SPOT account, then register this new feed on glideport. There is a way to test your XML feed, simply go to this URL:-
https://api.findmespot.com/spot-main...x/message.json
with your own XML Feed ID. If you get an error message then there is something wrong with the feed, contact SPOT. If you get position fixes but glideport does not display your SPOT, then make a new XML feed and register the new feed with SPOT. Each new feed typically lasts several years, and you can delete obsolete ones on the SPOT site.

Duncan

Has anyone gotten the ADSB tracker link to work? I've tried adsb:myICAO but it doesn't seem to work.

Old September 20th 20, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

As far as I know this feature was never implemented although the UI gives you this option.
I understand that there is currently no development and no support for glideport which is a shame since it begs integration with ADS-B and OGN.

Ramy
Old September 20th 20, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy[_3_]

Ramy
What is the advantage of OGN if you have a InReach or Spot Tracker thats tied into Glideport and whoever else you want to link to?
Nick
Old September 20th 20, 06:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

OGN provides instantaneous detailed trace as long as you are within range (typically up to 50 miles but can be much further)
Inreach/spot are usually every 10 minutes and can often be delayed up to 1 hour.

Ramy
Old September 24th 20, 12:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Godfrey (QT)[_2_]

On Sunday, September 20, 2020 at 1:31:51 PM UTC-4, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Ramy
What is the advantage of OGN if you have a InReach or Spot Tracker thats tied into Glideport and whoever else you want to link to?
Nick

I have been told by an informed and reliable source that OGN is on the cusp of releasing an upgrade that will enable SPOT and InReach data to be tracked. Unsure of exact timeframe but this could solve a lot of issues.