Dynamic Soaring

Old February 1st 21, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

Default Dynamic Soaring

Ran across this link showing a RC glider being flown at 548mph (882km/h)! The video is dizzying to watch and one can barely follow the glider going through 120g turns. Would be cool if we could replicate this in a more survivable way for the pilot and glider. I know it has been done in the past but it hasn't really caught on.

Uli
'AS'

https://newatlas.com/aircraft/dynami... nlid=v2wrsmaf
Old February 1st 21, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth

On Monday, February 1, 2021 at 11:10:41 AM UTC-5, AS wrote:
Ran across this link showing a RC glider being flown at 548mph (882km/h)! The video is dizzying to watch and one can barely follow the glider going through 120g turns. Would be cool if we could replicate this in a more survivable way for the pilot and glider. I know it has been done in the past but it hasn't really caught on.

Uli
'AS'

https://newatlas.com/aircraft/dynami... nlid=v2wrsmaf

120 G s! look at the aspect ratio ; take out the 1 and it could be real or a misprint. As for the speed claim,
based on a radar gun measurement, I will wait for the FAI to approve this claim.

John F

Old February 1st 21, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

john firth wrote on 2/1/2021 9:24 AM:
On Monday, February 1, 2021 at 11:10:41 AM UTC-5, AS wrote:
Ran across this link showing a RC glider being flown at 548mph (882km/h)! The video is dizzying to watch and one can barely follow the glider going through 120g turns. Would be cool if we could replicate this in a more survivable way for the pilot and glider. I know it has been done in the past but it hasn't really caught on.

Uli
'AS'

https://newatlas.com/aircraft/dynami... nlid=v2wrsmaf

120 G s! look at the aspect ratio ; take out the 1 and it could be real or a misprint. As for the speed claim,
based on a radar gun measurement, I will wait for the FAI to approve this claim.

John F

My RC model glider friends tell me the wings are single panel, almost solid carbon fiber. It's
not a one-off, either, many similar gliders.

Old February 1st 21, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Carris[_2_]

On Monday, February 1, 2021 at 10:34:54 AM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:
[...]

Actually the wing skins are solid carbon with no core material and vary between 2 and 3 mm thick and are thicker at the tip to handle the turbulence.
Old February 3rd 21, 06:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The 120G figure is mostly correct. I say mostly because tye sensors used maxed out at 120G so it would have been more. Unbelievable but true!

Here’s a great video lecture of the guy behind this project. It is from 2017 when the record was “merely” 515mph or so. He is continually making progress and setting new records.

https://youtu.be/nv7-YM4wno8
Old February 5th 21, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth

On Wednesday, February 3, 2021 at 12:24:10 AM UTC-5, wrote:
The 120G figure is mostly correct. I say mostly because tye sensors used maxed out at 120G so it would have been more. Unbelievable but true!

Here’s a great video lecture of the guy behind this project. It is from 2017 when the record was “merely” 515mph or so. He is continually making progress and setting new records.

https://youtu.be/nv7-YM4wno8

I withdraw my skeptical comm ents; after watching the video, I see that the design approach has been highly professional.
JMF

Oct 2017 publication - Dynamic Soaring - Albatross - Full text son_of_flubber Soaring 5 January 17th 18 06:52 AM
XC Dynamic Soaring along cloud streets Evan Ludeman[_4_] Soaring 12 January 31st 14 04:02 AM
Dynamic Soaring on TV quietman Soaring 1 February 21st 07 12:48 AM
dynamic soaring bagmaker Soaring 15 January 23rd 07 06:08 PM
Two proposals to explore Dynamic Soaring Matt Herron Jr. Soaring 9 January 23rd 07 11:45 AM