Mylar Project

Old March 12th 21, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

Default Mylar Project

On 3/12/2021 8:55 AM, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
This tool is useful in removing the adhesive from the wings. Read instructions and don't press too hard.

Amazon
3M Stripe Off Wheel Adhesive Remover Eraser Wheel Removes Decals, Stripes, Vinyl, Tapes and Graphics 4” diameter x 5/8” thick 3/8-16 threaded mandrel 07498 Pack of 1

https://www.amazon.com/Stripe-Wheel-...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

But one of the reviews on that Amazon page says:

"The only reason I gave this one star, is because I couldn't give it
ZERO!! 3m didn't bother to mention that they don't recomend using on
fiberglass. You have to call for them to casually mention that fact! In
their description, they say, many times, that it's use
" without damaging the substrate ". Also States that it can operate at
4000 rpm.
Using less than 2000rpm, and following all other directions, the wheel
burned the "substrate " of my motorhome!! I have tried a medium cutting
compound and still can't get the brown burn marks out. I now have a huge
mess to somehow fix!!"
Old March 12th 21, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth

On Friday, March 12, 2021 at 10:56:23 AM UTC-5, Moshe Braner wrote:
[...]

Removing the dried transfer tape.
Using a very sharp wide wood chisel, I can remove most of the dried out
transfer tape, before using solvent.
The chisel must be held almost flat on the surface; using the cutting edge obliquely
also aids he ctting asction.
John F
Old March 12th 21, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hank Nixon

On Friday, March 12, 2021 at 8:55:09 AM UTC-5, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
This tool is useful in removing the adhesive from the wings. Read instructions and don't press too hard.

Amazon
3M Stripe Off Wheel Adhesive Remover Eraser Wheel Removes Decals, Stripes, Vinyl, Tapes and Graphics 4” diameter x 5/8” thick 3/8-16 threaded mandrel 07498 Pack of 1

https://www.amazon.com/Stripe-Wheel-...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

I purchased one after reading that it was the greatest thing ever for removing adhesive. I found that it did not work well on the adhesives used for seals.
Other results may vary.
UH
Old March 12th 21, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jay Campbell

On Friday, March 12, 2021 at 11:38:27 AM UTC-5, Hank Nixon wrote:
On Friday, March 12, 2021 at 8:55:09 AM UTC-5, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
This tool is useful in removing the adhesive from the wings. Read instructions and don't press too hard.

Amazon
3M Stripe Off Wheel Adhesive Remover Eraser Wheel Removes Decals, Stripes, Vinyl, Tapes and Graphics 4” diameter x 5/8” thick 3/8-16 threaded mandrel 07498 Pack of 1

https://www.amazon.com/Stripe-Wheel-...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

I purchased one after reading that it was the greatest thing ever for removing adhesive. I found that it did not work well on the adhesives used for seals.
Other results may vary.
UH

I will mention that I have always had great success in removing the adhesive by first laying on a narrow piece of bedsheet (1/2 inch or so). Due to the adhesive, it will stick in place. Then small amounts of genuine 3M Adhesive Remover to wet the sheet. Let soak (as in keep moist) for five minutes in summer, ten or so in winter. The adhesive will then "plump" up to about four times thickness, to the consistency of thick gelatin, and remove very easily with the plastic "razor blade" I mentioned in previous post. Yes it is a bit messy, but you get all of the adhesive without any possible damage to the wing from a rubber wheel or a chisel.
Old March 12th 21, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth

On Friday, March 12, 2021 at 12:07:10 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Question: is the sanding providing the key for adhesion or is it simply removing
surface contamination (or both)?
JMF
Old March 12th 21, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Friday, March 12, 2021 at 7:56:23 AM UTC-8, Moshe Braner wrote:
[...]

I used a battery powered drill not many RPM and did not press hard on the wheel. Worked great.
Did not burn my wings.

Richard
www.craggyaereo.com
Old March 12th 21, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

On Friday, March 12, 2021 at 8:55:09 AM UTC-5, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
This tool is useful in removing the adhesive from the wings. Read instructions and don't press too hard.

Amazon
3M Stripe Off Wheel Adhesive Remover Eraser Wheel Removes Decals, Stripes, Vinyl, Tapes and Graphics 4” diameter x 5/8” thick 3/8-16 threaded mandrel 07498 Pack of 1

https://www.amazon.com/Stripe-Wheel-...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

I have used that one as well as a yellow one that looked more like a tractor tire.
The yellow one worked better when rotating at a slight angle (30*?) to the direction of the tape.
Old March 12th 21, 11:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hank Nixon

On Friday, March 12, 2021 at 4:27:58 PM UTC-5, john firth wrote:
[...]

Some of both I suspect.
UH

Mylar Not Sticking Gary Wayland Soaring 13 January 13th 19 08:10 PM
Mylar replacement Bojack J4 Soaring 4 April 26th 17 07:54 PM
installing mylar mmartin via AviationKB.com Soaring 15 August 20th 07 08:48 PM
ZZ Mylar seals Mike Soaring 3 March 29th 04 03:45 PM
Mylar (again) JJ Sinclair Soaring 0 December 11th 03 11:40 PM