"Pan turbulence"

Old October 2nd 03, 12:17 PM
Martin Gregorie

Default "Pan turbulence"

Some time back I saw a magazine article about something mysterious
called "pan turbulence" that bit airliners in clear air, often
somewhere in the middle of the USA.

Could this have been plain old rotor by any chance?

I was reminded to ask this by the message about the "Rodeo In The Sky"
TV program.
--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK

Old October 2nd 03, 07:18 PM
Martin Gregorie

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 06:51:43 -0700, Eric Greenwell
wrote:

In article ,
says...
Some time back I saw a magazine article about something mysterious
called "pan turbulence" that bit airliners in clear air, often
somewhere in the middle of the USA.

Could this have been plain old rotor by any chance?

I've not heard of pan, but only of CAT (clear air turbulence), which I
think is often caused by wind shear, particularly near the jet stream.

I'd wondered what CAT was too, thanks for the clarification. However,
this was not CAT: it was definitely referred to as 'pan' or 'pancake'
turbulence and, as I now recall some mention of mountains in the area,
I bet it was really rotor. I've never seen this term used before or
since: in the context of the article pancake turbulence was a totally
new, scary thing.

Comments?

--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK

Old October 3rd 03, 05:00 AM
Jack Glendening

Bob Johnson wrote:
Well, Google has heard of it, so it must be real. Dr. Jack could comment
on it, but I'll wager we wouldn't be any smarter.

I hadn't heard of "pancake" turbulence, but since you posted the link I
checked it out and although I've never seen a "Lumley diagram" before my
interpretation is the following. "Turbulence" is a rapid fluctuation in
velocity, and those velocity fluctuation can be in any of 3 directions
(1 vertical, 2 horizontal). In "pancake turbulence" the velocity
fluctuations in the vertical direction are much smaller in magnitude
than the velocity fluctuations in the horizontal direction. (In
"isotropic" turbulence, which might also be called "fully developed
turbulence", the velocity fluctuations are of equal magnitude in all
three directions.) Don't know if that makes you any smarter or not!

DrJack

Old October 3rd 03, 05:04 AM
Jack Glendening

To put it in an aircraft framework, in riding through "pancake
turbulence" you will get bounced from side-to-side, but not up-and-down.

Old October 3rd 03, 11:50 AM
Martin Gregorie

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 04:04:15 GMT, Jack Glendening
wrote:

To put it in an aircraft framework, in riding through "pancake
turbulence" you will get bounced from side-to-side, but not up-and-down.

Thanks for the explanation.

--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK

Old October 3rd 03, 02:13 PM
Bob Johnson

Dr. Jack --

That's a wonderful explanation, I lose my wager happily. I assume the
"cigar" could really be a bear!

BJ

Old October 8th 03, 10:13 AM
Bruce Greeff

Clearly the Northern soaring season is over...

Jack Glendening wrote:
I find I can't resist pointing out that if one was to consider the
"turbulence" created by following the vectors of a person's center of
mass while in bed, with one person sleeping in the bed one would find
that one had a case of "pancake turbulence". With two people, however,
quite likely there could be an interspersed episode(s?) of "cigar
turbulence" in which, for a short time, the velocity fluctuations were
primarily vertical oriented rather than horizontally oriented.

Turbulence Marco Rispoli Piloting 19 October 17th 04 06:53 AM
Turbulence Anxiety Doug Piloting 19 June 24th 04 12:51 AM
My First Time In Severe Turbulence (Long) David B. Cole Instrument Flight Rules 6 March 10th 04 11:21 PM
Wake turbulence avoidance and ATC Peter R. Piloting 24 December 20th 03 12:40 PM
How much turbulence is too much? Marty Ross Instrument Flight Rules 8 August 21st 03 05:30 PM