$2,500 Writing Prize For Young Pilots

Old January 2nd 19, 05:47 PM posted to rec.avaition.stories,rec.aviation.piloting
Moderator: Larry Dighera

Default $2,500 Writing Prize For Young Pilots

https://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/new...-232069-1.html

Writing Prize For Young Pilots

By Mary Grady , Contributing editor | January 1, 2019

Image: NBAA

A new writing prize, sponsored by Sporty’s and the Richard Collins
family, offers $2,500 to a pilot, including a student pilot, who is 24
years old or less. “The article must be original, not previously
published, and no longer than 1,500 words,” said Sporty’s in its news
release. “The topic may reflect any aspect of general aviation
flying.” The articles will be judged by three well-known aviation
reporters: Richard Collins, Jr., J. Mac McClellan and Amy Laboda. The
winning article will be published in Air Facts, Sporty’s online
magazine, which was first published in 1938 by Richard Collins’
father, Leighton.

“Mac worked with Richard for nearly 40 years, and Amy was hired by
Richard for her first full-time aviation writing position,” said Air
Facts editor John Zimmerman. “Over the years, many young pilots were
hired and mentored by Richard.” The prize will be awarded during the
2019 Sun ’n Fun Fly-In in April, in Lakeland, Florida. Articles may be
submitted now through March 1. Entrants are required to submit a
100-word biography that will accompany their articles in publication.
To enter, send a Word document to .
------------------------------------

https://airfactsjournal.com/2018/11/...-young-pilots/

Remembering Richard CollinsNovember 6, 2018
The Richard Collins Writing Prize for Young Pilots
by Air Facts Staff

Today, Sporty’s issued the following news release to the aviation
media. The official rules for entering an article follows the news
release.

Call for Entries: The Richard Collins Writing Prize for Young Pilots

$2,500 award for a pilot up to age 24

The Richard Collins family has partnered with Sporty’s to offer The
Richard Collins Writing Prize for Young Pilots. To qualify, the writer
must be a pilot (including student pilot) who is 24 years of age or
younger. The article must be original, not previously published, and
no longer than 1,500 words. The topic may reflect any aspect of
general aviation flying.
Richard L. Collins
The Richard Collins Prize is offered in memory of a great pilot,
mentor, and writer.

The winning article will be published in Air Facts, the publication
Richard’s father, Leighton, founded in 1938 and which was relaunched
eight years ago by Sporty’s as an online magazine. The articles will
be judged by a panel of three: Richard Collins, Jr., J. Mac McClellan,
and Amy Laboda.

“Mac worked with Richard for nearly 40 years, and Amy was hired by
Richard for her first full-time aviation writing position,” says
Sporty’s Vice President and Air Facts Editor John Zimmerman. “Over the
years, many young pilots were hired and mentored by Richard.”

The winning article will be published in Air Facts while its writer,
the Richard L. Collins Scholar, will receive a check for $2,500. The
prize will be awarded during the 2019 Sun ’n Fun Fly-In in Lakeland,
FL.

Articles may be submitted now through March 1, 2019, and sent in as a
Word document to . In addition, young
pilots are required to submit a 100-word bio to accompany their
articles.

“This writing prize honors two passions of my father – Air Facts and
finding new writing talent among young pilots,” says Richard’s son,
Rich. “My sisters, Charlotte and Sarah, and I are honored to not only
help fund this prize, but to help to continue my father’s legacy. We
know this effort would make him happy.”

Official Rules for the Richard Collins Writing Prize for Young Pilots

To submit an article, the author must be no older than 24 years of
age as of March 1, 2019. The author must be a student pilot or higher.

The article may be on any aspect of general aviation flying and be
no longer than 1500 words.

The article must be original and have not been previously
published.

The submission must include a 100-word biography of the author
written in the first person (I, me vs. He, her).

The article must be submitted on a Word document and emailed no
later than March 1, 2019 to
. Only emailed
submissions are accepted. Please put “Young Pilot” in the subject line
of your email.

Once a submission is received, no corrections or editing are
allowed.

Photographs to illustrate the article are accepted but not
required.

The one winner will be notified by email no later than April 1,
2019 and awarded the $2500 check at Sun ‘n Fun 2019 in Lakeland,
Florida.

The winning article will be published in Air Facts. Although there
is only one prize, Air Facts reserves the right to publish any article
submitted.

Checklist for Young Pilot Authors

Does my article have a title?
Have I included my byline (by John Smith) below the title?
Is my article 1500 words or less?
Is my article about general aviation flying?
Have I carefully proofread my article and/or asked a pilot-friend
to proofread it as well? (Remember that once your article is
submitted, no changes will be accepted.)
Have I included a 100-word bio of myself at the conclusion of my
article and labeled it as such?
Have I typed “Young Pilot” in the subject line of my email?
Am I ready to email this article to
?

If you answered yes to all these questions, you are ready to press
SEND! Good luck to all young pilots.