Defective US CUB Airspace and TFR files

Old October 5th 20, 11:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

Default Defective US CUB Airspace and TFR files

All,

Unfortunately, I have discovered a significant defect in my software that creates CUB airspace and TFR files for my website and the Soaring Turnpoint Exchange. The defect could cause incorrect information to be displayed when using the files. Affected files include all airspace and TFR files downloaded from my website (www.soaringdata.info) or from the Soaring Turnpoint Exchange since January 21, 2019. If you are using any of these, please discard it and download a replacement copy created today or later.

Corrected files and file generation logic has already been implemented on my website. It may take John a little time to generate replacements on the Turnpoint Exchange for individual sites.

For anyone interested in the specifics of the defect: a duplicate point filter was coded incorrectly, resulting in polygons that were not properly closed. How this might affect display of the airspace is somewhat unpredictable. For example, desktop SeeYou often tolerates the problem, but it occasionally causes missing or incorrect display of metadata such as the airspace name and vertical limits.

Thanks to Jim Staniforth, whose report led to the discovery of the underlying issue.

Apologies!

Lynn Alley
"2KA"

Old October 5th 20, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Monday, October 5, 2020 at 6:22:11 PM UTC-4, 2KA wrote:
Unfortunately, I have discovered a significant defect in my software...

Thanks Lynn for all your efforts,
and for tracking down and fixing rare problems.
Much appreciated by all of us!
Best Regards, Dave
Old October 5th 20, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Good save,
thanks
Old October 6th 20, 03:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

2KA wrote on 10/5/2020 3:22 PM:
[...]

I never saw any errors, but I'm glad to hear I won't see any.

Old October 6th 20, 05:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

And just to be clear, it is only SeeYou CUB formatted airspace and TFR files that are affected. Other formats including OpenAir, Tim Newport-Peace Special Use Airspace, and Nadler NDB, etc. are all OK.

L.
Old October 6th 20, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

2KA wrote on 10/5/2020 9:23 PM:
And just to be clear, it is only SeeYou CUB formatted airspace and TFR files that are affected. Other formats including OpenAir, Tim Newport-Peace Special Use Airspace, and Nadler NDB, etc. are all OK.

L.

Ah, I missed that, and that's why I didn't see any errors: I use NP-SUA and OpenAir.

Old October 6th 20, 03:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcg8w%[email protected]

Lynn --

Thank you very much for all your work and attention to details

Best

Jim Garrison
AE
Old October 7th 20, 04:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Lynn, could this explain phantom airspace warning I was getting in my LX9000 using your CUB airspace files? I was getting alert that I am inside class B/C Airspace’s that were at least 10 miles away. This happened with more than one airspace, always in the same areas. I assumed it was LX9000 bug, but the LXNav folks never identified the issue.
in any case, thanks for identifying and fixing the issue and many thanks for your service.

Ramy
Old October 7th 20, 04:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

Ramy,

Absolutely, it could explain your phantom warning. It is exactly the kind of thing that could happen. You should definitely try an updated file and see if the problem goes away. I think it is very likely.

Lynn

Airspace files Tom (TK) Soaring 3 May 9th 19 10:29 PM
2015 USA Airport and Airspace Files Paul Remde Soaring 0 March 21st 15 03:33 PM
Oudie 2 airspace files 2G Soaring 4 July 1st 14 08:08 PM
(USA) Soaring airspace files from NFD -- now available Tuno Soaring 11 December 23rd 07 05:15 PM
Load airspace files into emap Jon Marshall Soaring 0 August 14th 05 08:56 AM