Thanks for ideas on drilling a centered hole!

Old October 17th 04, 04:28 PM
Scott

Default Thanks for ideas on drilling a centered hole!

Man, you guys are the greatest! Now this is how this newsgroup (and
all others) should be!! Helpful, curteous, non-political, etc. I got a
lot of great ideas on how to accomplish the task! Harry K.: Great
saying! I only need to build ONE, so making ONE alike ought to be a
piece of cake LOL!!

Thanks again all!!

Latheless in Wisconsin,

--
Scott
http://corbenflyer.tripod.com/
Old October 18th 04, 02:35 PM
Bob Chilcoat

Scott,

Post your problem on the rec.crafts.metalworking newsgroup. That's a very
active group, and I'm sure there's probably someone on it nearby with a
lathe who will be happy to drill your part.

I don't have to like Bush and Cheney (Or Kerry, for that matter) to love
America

Old October 20th 04, 04:59 AM
Del Rawlins

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 15:28:57 +0000, Scott
wrote:

Man, you guys are the greatest! Now this is how this newsgroup (and
all others) should be!! Helpful, curteous, non-political, etc. I got a
lot of great ideas on how to accomplish the task! Harry K.: Great
saying! I only need to build ONE, so making ONE alike ought to be a
piece of cake LOL!!

So how did you do it?

Del Rawlins--
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply
Old October 20th 04, 11:54 AM
Scott

Haven't made the tool yet, but I think I've narrowed it down to 2
possibilities. Either put the rod inside a piece of sqaure tubing and
scribe two lines across from opposite corners in which case the lines
will cross at the center of the square tube and thus the center of the
rod as well...or the method mentioned where the drill bit gets attached
to the drill press table and the rod gets chucked in the drill. The
only thing is that I think this method would make it as though you were
trying to with the drill motor reversed which might not make the
drilling action happen too fast ... have to try it and see...

Scott

Old October 20th 04, 01:13 PM
alexy

Scott wrote:

rod as well...or the method mentioned where the drill bit gets attached
to the drill press table and the rod gets chucked in the drill. The
only thing is that I think this method would make it as though you were
trying to with the drill motor reversed which might not make the
drilling action happen too fast ... have to try it and see...

Nah. Think it through a little longer (or model it by "drilling" into
your fist with your finger) and you will see that the drill bit will
be cutting normally.
Old October 20th 04, 03:21 PM
Harry K

wrote:

Man, you guys are the greatest! Now this is how this newsgroup (and
all others) should be!! Helpful, curteous, non-political, etc. I got a
lot of great ideas on how to accomplish the task! Harry K.: Great
saying! I only need to build ONE, so making ONE alike ought to be a
piece of cake LOL!!

So how did you do it?

Del Rawlins--
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply

What I did when running a commercial drill press. To center punch a
piece of round stock find an angle iron such that a line across the
lips will pass 'close' to the center of the rod. Lay straight edge on
angle, scribe line, turn stock, scribe. Do this 3 or 4 times then
center punch in the little triangle, square or whatever remains. This
is close enough for government but probably won't be in the exact
middle. I don't think it is possible to put a hole in the exact
middle of anything using just a drill press anyhow.

Harry K
Old October 20th 04, 03:32 PM
Rich S.

"Scott" wrote in message
. . .put the rod inside a piece of sqaure tubing and scribe two lines
across from opposite corners in which case the lines will cross at the
center of the square tube and thus the center of the rod as well...

Scott..........

Take this opportunity to buy the tool which is made for this task.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4185

The little attachment in the middle is the one used for marking the center
of a rod diameter. Making the mark is simple. Centerpunching it accurately
and then drilling it on center and straight is a completely different story.

Rich S.

Old October 20th 04, 04:34 PM
Bob Kuykendall

Earlier, Scott wrote:

...The only thing is that I think this
method would make it as though you were
trying to with the drill motor reversed
which might not make the drilling action
happen too fast ... have to try it
and see...

No, the relative rotation between the drill bit and the workpiece is
the same regardless of which one you put in the chuck and which one
you clamp to the table.

Bob K.
http://www.hpaircraft.com/hp-24
Old October 21st 04, 03:49 AM
D.Smith

Well I wasn't thinking about it - and then I was.

Why not put the rod into the drill press and be sure it doesn't wobble. Maybe
put a bit of paint on the rod end. Turn on the drill press to get the rod
spinning. Touch a "scratcher" against the rod end and scratch toward the
apparent center. Turn off the drill press.

Looking at the rod end should give you conenctric scratched circles. The
center of those circles is the center of the rod. Center-punch and drill.

Doug

Old October 21st 04, 11:15 AM
Bushy

Like I said a while ago, throw your bit of metal in the car, drop into a
local engineering shop and give them the equivalent of a six-pack.

They in turn will drop your round bit of metal into the jaw of their lathe
and spin it round with a drill bit in the tailstock and drill a perfectly
central hole of any size you desire in the end of your cylinder.

In fact, for the cost of a sixpack, they will probably even drill both ends
to different sizes.

Hope this helps,
Peter