Another example of fine journalism.

Old July 2nd 05, 08:11 AM
Skywise

Default Another example of fine journalism.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/06/30/air...ase/index.html

Journalists must think people are really REALLY stupid,
or perhaps just as stupid as they are. I was reading the
CNN article on the guy that got onto the Sky Harbor Airport
while fleeing from police and ran across this one liner,

"The runway is the strip on which aircraft
can take off and land."

I'm sorry, but about the only people who can be forgiven
for not knowing that are akin to some isolated tribe in
the Amazon that's never seen an airplane before.

And to think I get jumped on when I say journalists are
stupid. Not all, but the majority certainly end up looking
that way form what they write.

Brian

Blog: http://www.skywise711.com/Blog

Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Old July 2nd 05, 09:43 AM
Bob Noel

In article ,
Skywise wrote:

[snip]
"The runway is the strip on which aircraft
can take off and land."

I'm sorry, but about the only people who can be forgiven
for not knowing that are akin to some isolated tribe in
the Amazon that's never seen an airplane before.

well, considering how many idiots are annoyed that they
hear airplanes when they move near an airport....

--
Bob Noel
no one likes an educated mule

Old July 4th 05, 01:27 AM
vincent p. norris

And to think I get jumped on when I say journalists are
stupid.

Well, Brian, to judge from your post, I'd say you are less intelligent
than the reporter who wrote that story. It is much more literate than
your post.

A Roman philosopher said, "The quality of mind is revealed by the
quality of writing." By that test, you come in a poor second.

vince norris
Old July 4th 05, 01:40 AM
Judah

It was a typical editorial comment feigned in a statement of fact. Of
course everyone knows that airplanes take off and land on the runway. But
by dedicating a whole paragraph to that fact, he heightens the drama of the
story, as if to say millions of people could have been killed if airplanes
were taking off and landing when the idiot drove across it.

The key to excellence in journalism is to draw the most emotion out of
people by organizing facts into the most dramatic set of bull**** as
possible.

Skywise wrote in news:11ccfgb7oli4ob0
@corp.supernews.com:

Old July 4th 05, 02:29 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Judah" wrote in message
. ..

The key to excellence in journalism is to draw the most emotion out of
people by organizing facts into the most dramatic set of bull**** as
possible.

No it isn't. That's the key to award-winning journalism, excellent
journalism isn't going to win any awards.

Old July 4th 05, 04:48 AM
Skywise

vincent p. norris wrote in
:

And to think I get jumped on when I say journalists are
stupid.

Well, Brian, to judge from your post, I'd say you are less intelligent
than the reporter who wrote that story. It is much more literate than
your post.

A Roman philosopher said, "The quality of mind is revealed by the
quality of writing." By that test, you come in a poor second.

vince norris

Would you care to elaborate?

Old July 5th 05, 02:21 AM
vincent p. norris

Would you care to elaborate?

Send me your email address; I'll send you my comments privately rather
than post them here.

vince norris
Old July 6th 05, 04:07 AM
Judah

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in news:%h0ye.16936
:

"Judah" wrote in message
. ..

The key to excellence in journalism is to draw the most emotion out of
people by organizing facts into the most dramatic set of bull**** as
possible.

No it isn't. That's the key to award-winning journalism, excellent
journalism isn't going to win any awards.

I stand corrected...
Old July 7th 05, 02:15 AM
vincent p. norris

excellent journalism isn't going to win any awards.

I stand corrected...

No need to; excellent journalism wins awards every year. Some people
just don't know that.

vince norris